Win11 and Updating the Marvell 92xx Firmware

As it seems like some people still need them and I happen to have them I’m just dropping this post with some pure Win98SE boot disk files.

Win 98SE boot files.zip (670 KB)

A tangental question.
Is there a way to reset 9230 config via CLI?
I have updated all firmwares, even rolled back. But the issue is neither GUI shows me adapter now, even though flasher sees it Ok, nor OPROM shows. I have no way to reconfigure it, and only one port works, the other not.
It has bad nvram somewhere and i need a way to reset controller config.

One more last post on marvels of the Marvell 9230. What have I learned through many years of dealing with it?

1. Do not configure anything special (no RAIDs, no HyperDuos) as this is an extremely finicky controller. Just good old plain JBODs thank you.
  2. Do additions and removals of disks online, because controller needs to check them in and out correctly. That is, do not shut computer then swap all those disks around. Do this online, so controller correctly manages NVM records on each port. This is particularly important if you broke the rule 1, ever.
    If you break the above rules, world of pain almost guaranteed.
    Stuck at boot, slow POST, slow Windows, complete freezes after wakeup etc - lots of gremlins…
  3. Do install the latest drivers for this controller, from either manufacturer or use some tools like Perfect Updater, or Driver Booster. Otherwise Disk Management will hang PC up when you “Rescan Disks” or Windows freeze few minutes after wakeup.
  4. If you meet gremlins, try cleaning NVM by installing proper drivers, then connecting and disconnecting a disk at each port (there is four, 0…3) Pause and have a look at the Marvell Console (if you still have Internet Explorer, haha) to make sure it has recognized both insertion AND later removal (!) of disks online, otherwise it may be sending reset commands to non-present disks according its NVM records and never rebuilding those without “events” it has already missed.
  5. It may be in process of deletion of HyperDuo “subconsciously” for months (years?) until you do the previous advice, then all is clear and happy, read rule 1 again.
    Good luck, you may need it. No wonder company stopped those efforts.