Windows 32-Bit OS iNTEL SATA & Gaming Discussions 2000 XP 2003 2009

No there should be no Black screen during the files copying from CD to hard drive / SSD. It should be Blue screen background.

It just looks like it is sitting there doing nothing. So pay attention to the hard drive activity light on your computer chassis. Once it starts copying the files you will see the light start blinking (usually red). There should be two reboots but on Skylake ACPI doesn’t work so it will not automatically reboot after it copies the stage 1 of files but look like it’s stuck on the screen. So you’ll need to hit the reset button or power it off and on manually. That’s why it is better to pay attention during the entire XP installation process so you know what is going on. You must keep the CD in the optical drive so it can read the setup files after it boots to the hard drive / SSD on the reboot.

If you are getting BSOD 7B error this means wrong AHCI SATA driver not matching your Hardware ID. Also make sure you are using a burned nLited SATA AHCI Fernando driver matching your SATA Controller Hardware ID or it will fail no matter what.

BSOD A5 means ACPI error. You have to tap F7 constantly during the XP setup disc loading till it gets to the licensing agreement screen which you hit F8 to bypass after you read it or scroll down. You have to do F7 tapping for at least two reboot stages from what I can recall to avoid BSOD A5 ACPI error. I think upon the 3rd reboot it will be strictly running off the hard drive / SSD and the optical disc is no longer needed in the optical drive. Once it gets into the 3rd reboot stage I don’t think you need to hit F7 anymore and it should continue detecting all your hardware devices and ask you more setup questions.

I’m tapping F7 repeateldy once I see the “press any key to boot from CD” until I see the license agreement screen come on? And then press F8? What happens after I press F8? It loads drivers and then begins Windows setup?
And every time I reboot I have to press F7 when it starts to read from the CD?
Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

You only need to boot from the CD on the first stage of the setup process. It will copy some files which takes around 40 minutes or so. Then it will try to automatically reboot but it can’t since ACPI doesn’t work so it will look like a blank light blue screen I think. Here you will have to manually reset or power off and then on the computer.

On the second reboot you don’t tap the key to load from the CD but let it elapse 5 seconds so it continues loading from the hard drive / SSD then you tap F7 non stop when you see the screen that says hit F2 / F6 again if necessary. I hit F7 slightly before that pops up. You probably only have to hit F7 once if you time it right but I just repeatedly tap it until it passes the F2 / F6 screen as it takes awhile to load the drivers off the optical disc and I don’t want to hit the BSOD A5 error after all that waiting.

You don’t need to deal with the F7 key if you are on an Z77 or earlier chipset as the ACPI seems to operate fine. I can’t remember if ACPI works properly after the Chipset files are installed or if it naturally works on a clean XP install. But on Skylake ACPI doesn’t work at all so no Sleep Mode or Automatic Shut Down. I might have to do tests on the Z77 to see if Standby, Sleep, and Hibernate work on a clean install or not.

Also if you’re dealing with hard drives larger than 128GB you will need Service Pack 1 or it won’t recognize the entire capacity up to 2.2TB and you can also corrupt your files when it writes anywhere beyond the first 128GB region of the hard drive.

After you get to the license agreement screen you can read it or hit F8 to bypass. Then you’ll have to select a drive and create or select a partition to install XP.

It is better to create a 32GB partition FAT32 partition and format it. You can also choose NTFS if you want a larger partition but I don’t recommend anything larger than 64GB for the OS installation partition.

What motherboard are you using Brand / Model?

Did you identify the Hardware ID listed on the Intel SATA Controller? You may need a Windows 7 or 10 install so you can get this information first before proceeding.

Once you found your SATA Controller Hardware ID you have to make sure you integrate the matching AHCI driver into your slipstreamed XP ISO image.

Then burn it and set your BIOS to boot off it as the Primary Boot Device.

If I were you I would remove all cards from the motherboard especially on the first install in case one of those cards could be causing a problem during the installation.

The part where you know you have succeeded is when it asks you what drive and partition to install XP. After you select the partition and hit ENTER it will begin installing. If you get a BSOD A5 or B7 error here then you messed up as it will not proceed. If it starts to copy files to the destination partition then you’ve succeeded with the correct SATA AHCI driver and hit F7 correctly at the right time in the beginning.

Please see this post for my hardware:
[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a Windows XP/W2k3/W2k CD (47)
Post #694
specifically the ‘drivers’ pic I attached

Also, my DVD drive is USB. Do I need to install from a SATA DVD-drive? I will have to completely yank all drives and install an older power supply that has the proper power cable for the SATA based DVR-Rom. :frowning:

[quote=XPLives| The part where you know you have succeeded is when it asks you what drive and partition to install XP. After you select the partition and hit ENTER it will begin installing. [/quote]
I’ve never ever reached this point. It installs drivers, then says “Windows setup is starting” and it waits a few secs, then BSOD.

P.S. As per Fernando’s original response to my troubleshooting, the existence of the “WINNT.SIF” was because of N-Lite modifying and creating a new ISO for me.
Irrelevant to that, however, is that since then I’ve acquired an original, untouched, virgin XP SP3 OEM disc, and still get the BSODs.

Yes any USB optical drive will NOT WORK. Anything requiring a USB port, Direct Hard Drive Folder installation in DOS or Windows, or even USB Floppy Drive SATA AHCI driver installation didn’t work at all in all of my tests this past week. I can’t explain why but I know it will NOT WORK. I think Intel did something to the USB 3.0 ports making them not backward compatible with USB 2.0 which caused this issue. Even W7 USB installations will not work any more on Skylake.

You MUST USE a physical internal SATA optical drive to do this. This will solve your problem I’m sure of it.

Also make sure the HDD / SSD you plan on installing XP on is connected on the Intel SATA Controller.
Same with the SATA optical drive it must also be connected to the Intel SATA Controller.

Double check these two devices are connected to the Intel SATA ports ONLY before proceeding. If it’s on the wrong SATA controller other than Intel it will not work and you can try all you want.

Let me know how it goes.

How do I know which SATA ports are the "Intel SATA ports"? And once XP installs (hopefully), can I move them around to other ports? Or that config must stay AS IS?
Thanks again, if this works, I owe you a beer!

I took a look at the specs.

You can use the internal SATA optical drive on this unit to install XP from the nLite modified XP ISO.

Also the Graphics card Nvidia GTX 745 video has an XP driver on their website. I recommend you use the HDMI output which will also give you video and audio together in one cable. Creative ZX-r series sound card does not have an XP driver so HDMI audio out is your best bet.

USB mouse should work on the USB 2.0 ports. If not try all USB 2.0 ports, than USB 3.0 ports. But the USB ports may not work for hard drives, flash drives, et cetera since there are no proper XP drivers for on board. You’ll need to check my guide under the USB card section if you want real working USB devices.

Thank you! :slight_smile:
How do I know which SATA ports are the “Intel SATA ports”?
And once XP installs (hopefully), can I move the drive(s) around to other ports? Or that config must stay AS IS?
And I’m guessing SSDs are out the loop completely? SATA only?

The drivers for your computer seem to only have Intel SATA controller drivers. So I think any SATA port will work but since prebuilt all in one systems don’t usually come with a motherboard manual with diagrams you’ll have to investigate this on your own which is Sata Port 0.

You can go into your BIOS and see if it says Intel SATA Controller only or if there are two SATA Controllers then you might see Asmedia or some other 3rd party company.

If there are other brands besides Intel SATA Controller than no you can’t move the hard drive / SSD around once you’ve installed XP on it. You might be able to move it to another SATA port as long as it is Intel. If you put it on a different brand Sata port like Asmedia SATA Controller when you originally installed XP using the Intel SATA Controller driver then the computer would not boot and you will get the BSOD 7B Error.

If you identified which are your Intel SATA ports on your motherboard I’d go from left to right but top and bottom first when plugging the SATA cables in for your devices. Say there are 6 Intel SATA ports like the following:

So Left Top, Left Bottom, Middle Top, Middle Bottom, Right Top, Right Bottom.

LT MT RT
LB MB RB

It really doesn’t matter but if they are numbered on the motherboard I’d go with Sata Port 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If you can go into the BIOS it will usually show you which port your device is connected. I’m not sure if SATA really cares which port if you install XP on “LT” port than move it to “RB” port will it still boot up correctly. I know in IDE that they cared which was the Master drive and which was the Slave drive so flipping the drive orders around would cause it not to boot. In SATA there are no Master and Slave drive settings. But I still think the SATA Controller will search from Port 0 to the last Port in sequence.

Here’s a sample SATA physical layout config I would use but the Sata Port numbering scheme may be different on other motherboards.

LT would be Hard Drive / SSD #1
LB would be Hard Drive / SSD #2
MT would be Optical Drive #1
MB
RT or this could be Optical Drive #1 if you prefer
RB

I’m using a SSD on the Intel SATA port and have no problems installing XP. I can even install XP using SATA IDE Compatibility mode using my Asmedia SATA Controller which was my original method of installing XP on an unsupported chipset without SATA AHCI drivers. This method also worked with Windows 2000.

There have been some write ups on how to install XP on a USB flash drive but there is a lot of tweaking to make it work. I’m not sure if that method will work on Skylake.

You can in theory if your BIOS supports SATA IDE Compatibility mode install all older operating systems Window 2000 and probably Windows NT 4.0 and maybe earlier using this method. I like to image my OS and it only likes to work properly in AHCI mode so having a proper Z170 SATA Controller AHCI XP driver saved me the hassle of switching it in the BIOS every time I create or restore an OS image.

So far Intel has removed SATA IDE Compatibility mode on my BIOS so I’m going to have to assume all Intel 100 and 200 Series motherboards also have this feature removed. If someone has an Intel 100 or 200 Series motherboard that has the option for Intel SATA IDE Compatibility mode I’d like to know what motherboard you have.

Worst case if you still have done everything I stated and can’t get it to work. I suggest you buy the same motherboard as me and Fernando. I guarantee it will work.

What software are you needing XP for in your case?

Video capture software that only supports configuring the processor amp (video settings) in 32-bit XP. It’s quite depressing as I have Win10 x64.
If I capture using the Win10 drivers, it clips ultrablacks in the video (makes for a greyer image overall, no deep blacks).
So now I’m having to install a dual boot on another drive and install XP just to capture old analogue videos :frowning:

What is the name of the software are you using for video capturing?

What’s your video capture device?

You don’t need two hard drives for XP install but looking at your specs you could install multiple OSs on one hard drive if you partition it correctly.

But looking at your specs it has two drives.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-…ment/c04949967/

Drive 1 is 128GB SSD.
Drive 2 is 2TB HD.

Partition these two drives as follows:

Drive 1 Partition Layout
Partition 1 - 32GB = 32765 MB FAT32 for XP 32-bit
Partition 2 - rest 96GB NTFS for Windows 7 64-bit

Drive 2 Partition Layout
Partition 1 - 128GB = 131072 MB NTFS for Windows 10 64-bit
Partition 2 - Remaining space NTFS

Remember to download all the available drivers for all your OSs before proceeding. At least the SATA Controller AHCI driver, Video, Audio, Chipset, USB, Ethernet, and Wifi drivers should be downloaded at the minimum while the rest can be downloaded later.

The reason for keeping the partitions below 128GB is for safety reasons and to prevent data corruption in case you run an operating system that cannot see above 128GB and try to write to it. Remember you must install XP 32-bit first before installing Windows 7 64-bit before installing Windows 10 64-bit if you want all three OS to be accessible in the boot loader. If you go out of sequence you will overwrite the boot loader where you can’t access the newer OS. It must be done from older OS to newer OS. For example if you installed Windows 10 64-bit now, then Windows 7 64-bit, and then XP 32-bit. You will have only have a Windows XP 32-bit OS to boot but W7 and W10 will not be accessible and you would have wasted your time.

Also if you’re doing any of this drive partitioning it’s easier to hook up the drive in another computer that is functional and use Windows Disk Management to do it. Any data on these two drives will be destroyed and it’s easier to just wipe the drives clean and start from scratch so any valuable data on these two hard drives you need to back them up first before starting all this partitioning and OS installations. I also don’t recommend you install XP 32-bit on the 2nd 2TB hard drive even though it should be possible but you should use the 128GB SSD instead. Personally I’d skip Windows 10 64-bit for Drive 2 and stick with XP 32-bit and W7 64-bit on the 128GB SSD and put Drive 2 2TB into a SATA to USB enclosure and use it as portable storage instead partitioned as one entire NTFS partition. Windows XP 32-bit has no problem seeing 2TB as an external USB drive. It cannot see above 2TB without a special adapter that only came with certain external hard drive models which are discontinued. I currently can see 8TB on XP 32-bit using this special adapter but theoretically it should be able to see 16TB max without problems.

One step at a time. Thank you for so much help!
I got very far in the install last night, but it stopped.
Attached are 3 pictures.
USB mouse and keyboard worked great all during the setup process until after the first reboot.
After the first reboot they stopped working.
I tried the install again trying all different USB 2.0 ports… it didn’t matter.
I tried using a different USB Mouse and keyboard… it didn’t matter.

So the USB devices freeze/stop working after the first reboot at the stage where it wants me to click “accept”, as seen on the screen.

I don’t see any photos attached.

Don’t use a USB Keyboard. It won’t work due to Skylake messing with the Intel USB ports.

You must use a genuine PS/2 keyboard. A USB to PS/2 Keyboard adapter might also work but I can’t guarantee 100% that this will work.

Most computers still have a single PS/2 port which you should use a PS/2 Keyboard if you are stuck in the install portion. It should be a purple color on the back of the I/O back plate. Some motherboards have both a PS/2 Keyboard (PURPLE) and PS/2 Mouse port (GREEN). But those are rare these days.

For some reason I cannot attach pics to the last comment.
So here they are.
Pics
The failure happens after the reboot and I cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard anymore at that point.
It’s not frozen because the cursor is still blinking on the License Agreement page.

There’s absolutely no PS/2 port on this machine, anywhere. Didn’t you write a quite lengthy how-to for how to 100% get USB working in XP on these modern MOBOs? If so, I need to print it out and follow every step.
I can order a USB>PS/2 adapter but that won’t be here for a few days.
The video capture stick I’m using is USB, btw. VC500 by Diamond Multimedia. I also have an ATI TV Wonder USB600. The VC500 yields better video, crisper, sharper.
They both work in Win10 x64 but there’s clipping of ultrablack levels which is absolutely unacceptable.
From another forum (video), the seasoned veterans have all said that if I want to adjust the video processor levels, I’ll need XP 32bit only.
This project is getting out of hand and worse by the day.
I have 24 gigs of ram and there are several drives I added, mostly SSD. I have 4-5 drives I can use. I know how to partition and all that, I have an IT background, but hardware has not been my strong point.
I spent a lot of money on a modern system w/ nice gear and it looks like I’ve wasted my money, at least for the purpose I want. Of course I get killer results editing in Adobe Premiere, games, browsing, anything else. It’s just the main analogue capture is the problem.

I looked around on eBay for USA located items:

I usually get a different one that has both PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse to USB adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-PS-2…cA0AAOSw8gVX~c7

Here’s one that I usually get with both PS/2 connectors but like I said if your USB ports have no XP driver it won’t work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Type-A-M…FkAAOSwqu9U0x0G

But like I said no guarantee it will work since it requires the USB port which probably already doesn’t work or else your USB keyboard would have after the reboot.

But if you had a PS/2 Keyboard port you could use a PS/2 Keyboard Male to USB Female adapter and try your USB keyboard that way which probably could work but no guarantee.
Here’s an example of what might work in that situation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-PS2-Adapt…EEAAOSwImRYF6l9

Since you mentioned your motherboard has No PS/2 Ports no Purple or Green? If that is the case then you might be screwed because you need to use a Keyboard minimum to get through the setup process.

I think you are in a Catch 22 situation. Without a PS/2 keyboard connected to a PS/2 port you can’t complete the setup process which may prevent you from installing the USB drivers for a 3rd party USB card.

I think your best bet is to get a motherboard that has a PS/2 Keyboard port or the same motherboard I’m using if you don’t want to hunt around and run into another problem down the road.

On my motherboard the PS/2 keyboard works and so does a USB mouse on any of the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports except for the USB 3.1 port.

Didn’t you write a lengthy how-to for how to get USB working? Or was that someone else/doesn’t apply here?
If not, please provide a link/specs to your MOBO. I’ll have to weigh building out an entire new system just for this video capture.
I’m pretty bummed out :frowning:
Aside from that, I really, really appreciate all your help and assistance.
Its amazing how much more well I understand all this in only 24 hours!

This yields some interesting results:
https://www.google.com/#q=skylake+xp+usb+driver