Windows 7 on (ASUS) B560, possible?

@canonkong
Thank you so much for your feedback. My problem is, i can not make a re-install with an install image. I have ready win 7 64 installation on a hard disk with a highly complicated flight sim Setup. Hundreds of add-ons, tweaks, custom- made cockpit with many USB hardware installed etc.
So I need to install Win7 USB drivers into this running system, which I switched from an old main board to a gigabyte B560m board by just plugging in the old harddisk.

I cannot do a new install, years of installing and configuration will be goneā€¦

That is why I am searching for USB drivers that i can install to get my USB ports running. Everything else works fine.

Maybe you have an idea where I can get such drivers?

Thanks so much!

Christoph

So you simply switched the Win 7 64 HDD from old system to the Gigabyte B560m board and everything but the USB ports work fine? Did you have to install anything on Win7 before putting the HDD on the new board?
(I havenā€™t even managed to get that far. In my case it reaches the Windows 7 logo, then reboots)

Yes, I just switched the HDD to the new board. I had to install a few other drivers after the startup on the new board but they were not really difficult to find. Although a bit tricky without USB and only one PS2 port for mouse OR keyboard. Once you have internet access, you can use TeamViewer to controll the PC without USB mouse or keyboard from other PC. But I am still searching for installable USB driversā€¦ Christoph

Hey all, I am in the same boat as lianpu. My good old desktop recently died (could be CPU or GPU or mobo, who knows - it would just keep rebooting sometimes making it to the desktop) so I finally decided to upgrade. Got an ASUS B560-A mobo, 11th gen Intel with integrated graphics and some new RAM. Put it all together, connected my two HDDs and nothing past BIOS.

This morning I decided to throw in my old annoying GPU in the PCI-E slot which made the BIOS auto configure to enable compatibility mode and legacy settings for a few different things. Now it boots to the windows logo and then BSOD and restarts. From all Iā€™m reading, it seems to me if I can just get the new USB 3 driver in there somehow, it would start up?
I JUST want to get into the windows 7 so that I can upgrade from there to windows 10 without losing everything.

Do you think doing the slipstream thing with a bootable win 7 drive will allow me to launch windows repair and thereby install the driver without having to clean install? Or is there another way to get the drivers on without loading windows at all? Can you just boot and run windows 7 from a usb without installing? (Ie, it uses all drivers from usb to launch and run)

I donā€™t have an optical drive on the build OR the laptop I can also use. But I do have some usb sticks

It sounds more like you are in my situation than lianpuā€™s. He managed to get into Windows 7 but did not have mouse and keyboard control. In my case, I am getting to Win7 logo then reboot.

None of the solutions here worked for me (slipstreamed drivers, other Win7 mastered DVDs, installing additional drivers on old computer).
What I ended up doing is upgrade Win7 to Win10 on an older computer then move the drive over to the new one. You might need to use some friendā€™s computer to do this and the computer must support UEFI boot.

When it crashes do you see a blue screen with the error 0x000000A5? The A5 means that the ACPI.sys that is provided with Windows 7.
If it ends in 7B it means that a SATA cointoller driver is needed.

The following steps may help with the A5 error. You will need to use the attached files if anything.

Boot the Windows 7 Setup again, press SHIFT + F10 to open the command prompt.
C: or D: should be the your Windows installation is on.
You can confirm by running the following commands to see which drive it is. list vol will show you the drive letter.
Take note of your UBS one too.

Ā 
diskpart
list vol
exit
Ā 

Replace C: with the correct drive letter that contains your windows 7 installation.
You can type dir to verify the Wndows folder is there.
E: may be the drive letter of your USB drive where you will have the extract acpi.sys files. Verify the drive letter if you need to using the code above.

Ā 
C:
dir
cd windows\system32\drivers
ren acpi.sys acpi.sys.org
copy e:\acpi.sys acpi.sys
Ā 

Reboot the computer and see if it tries to boot.

Oh and make sure in your BIOS settings that under the USB settings that XHCI hand off is disabled.

If the first acpi.sys doesn't work replace it with the other one by using the following.

Ā 
copy /y "E:\canonkong acpi 64 mod\acpi.sys" C:\windows\system32\drivers\acpi.sys
Ā 

I hope this gets you somewhere.
You will probably need other drivers to get everything else working properly.

acpi.zip (170 KB)

canonkong acpi 64 mod.zip (171 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @thechronic for the suggestion and the very clear post. Not often do I see such useful detailed post on the forum. (I can dual boot, so I can copy the files directly, but I am sure this would be useful for some people).

I did not get a blu escreen, just a sudden reboot, however what you suggest might still be the issue. I have given up on Windows 7 on this new hardware, but I still have a couple HDDs lying around, so I might attempt this again in the future. If your suggestion works, Iā€™ll report back here.

heyyyy Dude can you tell me something like tutorial to install windows 7 on b560 plus or something in short . I am a newbie and i dont know what to do to install windows 7 on B560 Plus. Thank you for helping me :slight_smile:

guys i can see some of you have installed it on your mobo can you give me that ISO file using which you installed the windows 7 on system . i dont care about the language on the iso or anything i just want it to work Please gimme that updated windows 7 iso with latest drivers

Hello, I installed Windows 7 on my b560m-a prime, but I donā€™t have the network driver.
Does anyone have this driver?

Please make a new topic instead of necroposting. Then I can help you there.