[Problem] Win7 install with x570 Chipset+Ryzen 5000 Ser. CPU

not sure, only question i will be able to answer soon will be is the msi x570 prestige compatible with windows 7, ill find out on the December 10th, if im not too busy playing cyberpunk ( the whole reason im doing any upgrading in the first place!) that and the asrosk x570 creator definitely does not work with windows 7.

SUCCESS!!!

Im happy to report that the MSI Prestige X570 Creation has a windows 7 compatible Bios. Windows 7 been installed and is fully functional expect for the intel wifi & Bluetooth devices which was expected based on other threads listed here and im ok with. NVME updates and USB drivers are functioning without issue. please note that for this motherboard i did experience issues with the 1.0.0.13 USB drivers causing USB sticks to malfunction when plugged into USB3.0 slots and not transfer data. This was fixed by switching to the 1.0.5.3 USB drivers provided by @canonkong (thanks!) and USB is working flawlessly with USB devices tested so far across all ports ( razer blackadder mouse, madcats kv5 keyboard, turtle beach stealth 450 headset, nexus 6 phone, and various models of USB sticks and portable hard drives)

now if only cyberpunk 2077 was as bug free as my system isā€¦

Thatā€™s good news! Iā€™m planning to buy MSI B550 motherboard, nice to know that BIOS with AGESA 1.1.0.0 Patch C work without A5 BSOD.
Did USB2 ports work without AMD drivers? I have PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Impatiently awaiting the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero but god damn the wait is killing me. I wonder how elmor got Win7 working on his sample.

@paszczak i was not able to use any usb ports at all in windows without the amd usb drivers. a ps/2 device will be needed to install windows 7 if installed from retail media without the usb already included in the disc image. a custom windows 7 disc image is highly recommended. this also reminds of something i forgot to mention in my last post. although msi advertised that the included ps2 port on my prestige x570 creation motherboard supports ps/2 2to1 cables i could not get both my ps/2 keyboard and mouse working at the same time and i know my ps/2 2to1 cable is good because i used it to setup my x470 taichi ultimate motherboard. just something to be aware of.

I have PS/2 keyboard, so itā€™s not a problem. Windows has mouse emulator, alternatively I can use software like Neatmouse to move mouse cursor with keyboard. But Iā€™m going to use my current Windows 7 installation, so I will have AMDā€™s USB drivers preinstalled to DriversStore directory. Windows should install these automatically when new hardware is found.
Thanks for all your help.

@paszczak if you has a ps2 mouse then windows built in onscreen keyboard would be your best option, and since its a disability function you can even turn it on from the logon screen. anyways good luck

If we use GIGABYTE mainboardļ¼Œwe can install win7 without usb driverļ¼Œjust open port 60/64 emulation function in the biosļ¼Œwhich can make the usb keyboard and usb mouse work as PS/2 device.

D58F4D29-E9F2-4E83-AEFF-ECA2175B3CCC.jpeg

No XHCI.PNG

1 Like

The Port 60/64 Emulation doesnā€™t work for me?

I have a Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 motherboard. I have enabled the Port 60/64 Emulation, but still my keyboard turns off after the Windows 7 loading logo? What else must I enable?

Thank you,
Errol

@errolt

most likely you need USB3 driver.

@infuscomus According to the Port 60/64 Emulation description, this option should make a USB mouse look like a PS2 mouse, no USB support required.
Also, I have booted my previous Z270 + 7700K Windows Boot drive which had USB3 support installed. It boots perfectly, but still no USB supportā€¦

I bought a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and iā€™m waiting on it to arrive, will report back if it can run Win7.

Amazingly, it booted right up with a old install of Win7 Enterprise installed on a CH7 with a Ryzen 2600. Now, the real test will be Zen 2 or Zen 3 under Win7, which I canā€™t test right now.

Specs:
Ryzen 2600
C8DH with 3202 BIOS
Win7 Enterprise I updated with Integrate7 and using Canonkongā€™s modded drivers

Itā€™s been a while since you wrote this post and Iā€™m considering buying in to the X570 platform myself in a few weeks. Could you report back to us please and let us know how your windows 7 experience has been so far with the MSI Prestige X570 Creation? Have you had any stability issues at all? Is everything working normally?

Hello guys, I have been waiting to build a new PC since my machine is pretty old now (Haswell). I found this forum just a few months back esp the topic of the very few smart people trying to get Win7 on their latest hardware, it was a joy to see such amazing work. Thank you all.

I have looked at MDL a bit, not much deep into the three options they had for installing 7 onto new HW. So upon searching for the x570 boards, learnt that some X570 boards do not have the VGA driver for the CSM option which means Nvidia GPUs running on such boards with Win7 are not possible since they wonā€™t boot, to quote the message itself that I read ā€œnVidia GPUs donā€™t work on some motherboards lacking support for VGA arbitration (nVidia drivers report ā€œCode 12ā€ error: ā€œThis device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.ā€), I think is this from the FlashUSB Pro account Prime Expert Software at MDL.

AMD GPU cards have no such problem, as their drivers donā€™t depend on legacy VGA resources to be assigned to the GPU device.ā€ so is that correct that not all boards despite having CSM option wont work with the latest GPUs from Nvidia ?

ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero is my interest since itā€™s the only one with 8x SATA and has a passive chipset cooling with good BIOS quality, GB X570 Aorus Xtreme is too costly for what it isā€¦ so can anyone please let me know if this board has such issue ?

Thanks

I would add to this subject that I made the buy based mostly on the comment from user [email protected] but also because the board has a lot of features on it that I personally want and intend to use. 10-Gigabit Ethernet onboard as well as headers to plug in external tempature monitoring probes direct to the motherboard so I can monitor my water loopā€™s water temps from AIDA64 + MSI Afterburner OSD. So for me I wanted it and having windows 7 was a bonus. But I can confirm that yes the MSI Prestige X570 Creation motherboard (with the latest Beta bios at the time of writing this (which is version 7C36v1D1)) has full native windows 7 support with zero issues or blue screens or anything. ā€œIt just worksā€. Iā€™m using my Ryzen 5800X in this motherboard and itā€™s fantastic, fast, and awesome.

I have a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Donā€™t bother wasting your money on it, just get a nice B550 board instead. That, or AMDā€™s BIOSes in general being broken as fuck lately.

@kithylin thank you for your information I see 2 people successfully getting Win7 onto their X570 board with ease itā€™s confidence inspiring for me, I will definitely keep this option open, the cons for me personally are lack of 8x SATA and no passive cooling, probably MSI BIOS is also better quality than GB.

@User32 I have seen your contribution on your thread, thanks. It was a while back I saw you got it done successfully, however with a lot of work and probably not as easy as MSI X570 Creation, as that board packs PS/2 ports for making it better. But now you had mentioned there are some issues lately, really unfortunate. On the AMD BIOS aspect, I saw that OCN thread which has numerous failed CPUs and RMAs on top of that BIOS USB issue, AGESA 1.2.0.2 which is supposed to fix. I wonder whenever an AGESA drops, and if we update Win7 installation goes kaputā€¦

On the B550 side, never explored any options I just only know B550 is similar to that of Z490 as they only have CPU direct Gen4 link, so the chipset is not the matisse die on X570 Win7 is probably easier to get installed ? This is a real chore for me. So many requirement boxes for myself such as Air cooling, sata and other things and very few options exist in that also there are more issues so probably have to make a compromise somewhere esp the fact I was thinking once Ryzen 5000 launches AMD BIOS gets more polished and rock stable apparently that is now a long shot. Hard to get used to Win10 esp now they are going to add more changes to the Explorer and future of the WaaS nature.

Itā€™s primarily the fact that I have no idea WTF iā€™m doing with regards to getting Win7 to work on Ryzen. Canonkongā€™s less than stellar English doesnā€™t help either.

Itā€™s primarily the fact that I have no idea WTF iā€™m doing with regards to getting Win7 to work on Ryzen. Canonkongā€™s less than stellar English doesnā€™t help either.

I have been trying to learn myself on how to even integrate and all the options of getting Win7 installed.

From what I just learned, AiO script at MDL uses Updatepack7R2 (by Simplix) which also has that Win7 SHA256 patch to enable the updates and has the option to integrate all the INF drivers (including Canonkong modded ones + the usual LAN, NVMe) we place in the directory, this one packs all the Drivers into install.wim and WinRE (recovery environment) and then compresses to install.esd (to make sure no need of fancy USB Win7 ISO makers but simply extract the ISO to a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive) but uses Win10 ISO too to make the Win7 ISO slipstreamed image for helping it boot on latest HW with CSM option enabled. This process should be universal for Intel and AMD platforms. Also this one packs xHCI modded USB3.x Driver stack.

Then the mobos which do not have the PS/2 on-board C8DH in this case to get an Add-in PCie to PS/2 expander card get KBM working for installation, probably the option of PCIe to USB2.0 ports expansion card Star-tech PEXUSB4DP also works, which I saw mentioned by a user with GB X570 Aorus Elite under that yt video which probably everyone knows here. Once everything is good, at the first reboot during Windows 7 Setup, press F8 and disable Driver Signature Enforcement to avoid any issues with the modded drivers. And then fingers crossed that all works and no triangles or such in device manager.

However thereā€™s one problem with AM4 ASUS boards exclusively, they cannot use the that Generic xHCI driver hack is already packed inside the Simplix updatepack mentioned above, and they fail on move the booting past Win7 splash which Canonkong mentions multiple times here and at mdl (I do not know how to stop that integration, still learning and probably will have to wait for canonkong response for your question) better than ASRock which is a rock in itself with Win7 possibility.

Thatā€™s it, whatā€™s next to look for, still learning. And thereā€™s one more thing, on a personal note from what I read, really do not know how that AGESA 1.2.0.2 is holding up with those nasty USB drop out issues (which are supposed to be fixed by this AGESA) and those WHEA errors due to the prime95 rounding errors due to ccx binning qc issues by AMD due to poor yields throwing them onto consumers. Also apparently the X570 Prestige Creation board is having no issues with 1.2.0.1 which is beta for it on top that board has native PS/2.

Iā€™m afraid that these DDR4 platforms might be the last ones to sport CSM option in BIOS. Intel already was in bed with MS to phase out the Legacy BIOS in 2020 itself. On new laptops I think that option is gone, soon Mobosā€¦and they are working on some Pluton security chip with AMD and Intel, perhaps even more HW checks for making sure Win10 is the only official OS that cattle has to use, and on top most of us might already know. Most of the OEM software packages are converting to Win10 DCH driver system (Intel iGPU on their 10th and 11th gen is DCH, Alienware CC software is UWP as in Dell one of the biggest OEMs ā€¦ etc), once it becomes global for all the USB / LAN / Audio providers, itā€™s game over permanently for any sort of hacks. So I really do not know how to thank this community and Canonkong for their contribution to make something impossible a possibility for all the smartest people out there.