XP AMD AHCI only?

Did anybody ever find or even make an AMD AHCI only driver for XP? I got an SSD and would really like to use it. Drivers are stuck in SCSI mode thanks to that "ahci compatible raid" nonsense :frowning:
I know there was a 2k3 driver. I thought that possibly could have been retconned. I tried changing the 5.2 to 5.1 in the inf, but that just left me with a ! on the "AMD SATA controller" in device manager.
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106

@dg1972 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I will look this evening for a suitable “clean“ AMD AHCI driver, which is usable with Windows XP, but what is bad with the “AHCI compatible AMD RAID driver“?

Regards
Fernando (alias Fernando)

Seen as SCSI disk. SSD software will not see the drive at all to trim it, or do OS optimizations. I know I could do all the OS things myself, but need the trim.

@dg1972 :
Attached are 2 different AMD AHCI drivers, which have been customized by me to make them usable with your on-board AMD AHCI Controller and Windows XP, but I cannot give you any guarantee, that any of them really will work for you.
Please try them both and report, whether they work or not.

Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.321 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (64.4 KB)

Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (225 KB)

how do i install this exactly? ive never dealt with certs before.
both drivers give "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

That is why I have written >this< guide. You only have to read the start post.
If you want to get XP installed with one of the attached drivers, there is no need to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate. Just integrate the related driver into the XP image by using a tool like nLite.

oooooh. we’re talking an os reinstall then. ok. gotta make plans for that. but then wouldnt the error message i got while trying to update the current driver still result in the driver not being used?

Which driver are you currently using?
If it should be an “AHCI compatible RAID driver”, you cannot simply update the driver, because your AMD SATA Controller is currently running in RAID mode, but the new driver needs an AMD SATA Controller, which has been set to “AHCI”.

The SATA controller is in AHCI mode.
I had a RAID 0 set up on this pc (using the ahci compatible raid driver PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4392&CC_0106).
Imaged it to the SSD. (XP and W7 dual boot). Found standalone AHCI driver for 7 (amd sata controller). Switched BIOS from RAID to AHCI. Updated W7 ahci raid driver with the standalone. It now reports PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106 and appears under the same place as other ATA/IDE controllers. Drive is no longer SCSI. SSD software is happy.

XP has no standalone AHCI driver. But the amd ahci raid driver reports PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106.

The question is, what the AMD SATA Controller reports regarding its HardwareIDs.

It reports the exact same thing in 7 (amd sata controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106) as the raid controller reports in XP.
If I had not updated the driver in 7, the raid controller would have switched hardware id from 4392 to 4391.
XP did the same thing for the hardware ID. switched from 4392 (raid mode) to 4391 (ahci mode) when i made the bios change. But in XP there is no AMD Sata Controller driver. I need one so that it will move the drive out of SCSI identification.

@dg1972 :
Have you already tried to get any of my attached AMD AHCI drivers installed while running XP? If yes, did it work?

I have tried. Both reported "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

Where and how did you try to install the drivers?

the same way i did in windows 7 - by updating the ahci raid driver in device manager with the standalone ahci driver.

Have you tried to force the installation by hitting the “Have Disk” button and navigating to the driver folder?

yes. that is what gives that message. if i do it the other way, it just says im currently using the best driver.

Are you sure, that you have highlighted the correct INF file and chosen the matching device?

i have picked the correct inf file. it does not get to the point where i can choose the matching device. i receive that error before that selection screen even comes up.
Or did you mean to not update the current raid driver, and instead just force the driver in through the add hardware wizard?

dg1972:
Thanks for having tested the 2 modded “clean” AMD AHCI drivers and thanks for your report. It is a pity, that none of them worked for your system.
My conclusion: Obviously only the ancient “AHCI compatible AMD RAID drivers” can be used for AMD chipset users, who want to run Windows XP in AHCI mode.