XP/W2k3 x64 on Modern Hardware

@cedar ,@daniel_k ,@infuscomus

On XP and 2003 64-Bit version I used a generic USB Audio device from eBay and it works fine with Windows drivers built in.

Also used HDMI Audio out on nVidia GT 710 no issues whatsoever.

But one I bought but have not tested yet that should support XP Pro 64-Bit via USB according to the site.
Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
https://support.creative.com/Products/Pr…laster+X-Fi+HD#

Legacy PCI cards did not test at the time. If Ensoniq PCI has XP Pro 64-Bit / 2003 64-Bit drivers written by Creative or modded by Daniel_K then he can tell you if it works.

@ XPLives

Thanks. I will check those as you suggested.

[quote="XPLives, post:19, topic:33943"] @Mattiwatti
Thanks for the first attempt. I thought you might have pulled something off with the photos you shown. I just got a PM from FireKillerGR who also tested your SYSSETUP.DLL I think used an XP SP3 install and experienced BSOD 7B error as well.
[/quote]
Noted, attached is the patched version of the SP0 x86 DLL you provided. I should note that I have some doubts re: this 'syssetup.dll-patch-somehow-causes-acpi.sys-to-BSOD' theory (notably: (1) I did test installing SP0 with the patched SP3 syssetup.dll and did not receive a BSOD, and (2) acpi.sys does not know and definitely does not care about syssetup.dll, and in my experience with XP's acpi.sys the BSOD was more likely down to it being 'that time of the month' for acpi.sys than any other reason), but as it stands the votes are currently 2 vs 1 against me, so in the interest of science I have done the patch as requested.

[quote="XPLives, post:19, topic:33943"]
I took a look at your hacked mod CPU.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...o-4-50-ghz.html
3.30 GHz Base
4.50 GHz Boost

I liked the fact you beat the 4 Core Limit with a Xeon. It's also nice it's lacking the iGPU which is useless in XP due to the driver issue.

Have you been able to use ECC Registered Server Memory on your Motherboard with the Xeon CPU?
[/quote]
I don't currently have the money to waste on (slower, more expensive) ECC memory to test this, and I also haven't found any posts by people who did, so I can't answer this for certain. But in general my answer would be that if I were building a system that actually required ECC memory, I would probably just invest in a slightly more expensive C236 (or similar) chipset board to get an officially supported Xeon setup, rather than pile a ton of hacks on a Z170 board BIOS :P 'Do as I say, not as I do' and all that...

As for the 4200 MHz Limit in XP. Have you tried checking the BIOS and setting CPU Core Ratio to 45? Some motherboards you can set to the max CPU Clock Speed in the BIOS. If in Windows 7 you are seeing it hit 4500 MHz and 4200 MHz in XP it's possible this is an ACPI related issue and must use the BIOS to set it higher. [/quote]
Yes, 45 is what it's set to. For some reason this message seems to arrive better in Windows 7 and Linux than it does in XP. Though I should note that both 7 and Linux also seem to favour running at x42, with only the occasional spike to x44 or x45.

SYSSETUP.DLL-SP0-skip-sigcheck-x86.zip (343 KB)

@Mattiwatti

[quote="XPLives, post:19, topic:33943"] @Mattiwatti
Thanks for the first attempt. I thought you might have pulled something off with the photos you shown. I just got a PM from FireKillerGR who also tested your SYSSETUP.DLL I think used an XP SP3 install and experienced BSOD 7B error as well.
[/quote]
Noted, attached is the patched version of the SP0 x86 DLL you provided. I should note that I have some doubts re: this 'syssetup.dll-patch-somehow-causes-acpi.sys-to-BSOD' theory (notably: (1) I did test installing SP0 with the patched SP3 syssetup.dll and did not receive a BSOD, and (2) acpi.sys does not know and definitely does not care about syssetup.dll, and in my experience with XP's acpi.sys the BSOD was more likely down to it being 'that time of the month' for acpi.sys than any other reason), but as it stands the votes are currently 2 vs 1 against me, so in the interest of science I have done the patch as requested.

I took a look at your hacked mod CPU.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...o-4-50-ghz.html
3.30 GHz Base
4.50 GHz Boost

I liked the fact you beat the 4 Core Limit with a Xeon. It's also nice it's lacking the iGPU which is useless in XP due to the driver issue.

Have you been able to use ECC Registered Server Memory on your Motherboard with the Xeon CPU?
[/quote]
I don't currently have the money to waste on (slower, more expensive) ECC memory to test this, and I also haven't found any posts by people who did, so I can't answer this for certain. But in general my answer would be that if I were building a system that actually required ECC memory, I would probably just invest in a slightly more expensive C236 (or similar) chipset board to get an officially supported Xeon setup, rather than pile a ton of hacks on a Z170 board BIOS :P 'Do as I say, not as I do' and all that...

As for the 4200 MHz Limit in XP. Have you tried checking the BIOS and setting CPU Core Ratio to 45? Some motherboards you can set to the max CPU Clock Speed in the BIOS. If in Windows 7 you are seeing it hit 4500 MHz and 4200 MHz in XP it's possible this is an ACPI related issue and must use the BIOS to set it higher. [/quote]
Yes, 45 is what it's set to. For some reason this message seems to arrive better in Windows 7 and Linux than it does in XP. Though I should note that both 7 and Linux also seem to favour running at x42, with only the occasional spike to x44 or x45.

Thanks for patching the XPP SP0 SYSSETUP. I spent most of yesterday and today analyzing and comparing the installation results and have identified the problem.

Only time the BSOD 7B does not happen is using the original driver.cab unaltered.

When tampering with the driver.cab (adding files and possibly removing them) triggers some sort of driver enforcement error and possibly causing any drivers not signed to bomb out and not install which without any storage drivers being installed results in the BSOD 7B. Even the built in pciide.sys will bomb out when using the SATA IDE Compatibility mode if the driver.cab is modified which doesn't happen normally.

So I've put together 3 files that require patching that I believe are the source of the driver enforcement errors.

As for the BSOD 7B = this is an IDE / SATA driver issue not a BSOD A5 which is an ACPI issue.

Also I'm using an Ivy Bridge when doing these tests for simplification so there can never be a BSOD A5 ACPI error to happen on standard XP.

Attached will be the 3 files and order of importance. You can try patching the first file and I can do some testing to see if this fixes it. The other two files may have an impact on other signed drivers as well so all three may need to be patched.

rsaenh.dll
dssenh.dll
initpki.dll

Unfortunately there is a 6MB file upload size limit. I only managed to shrink the original driver.cab down to 72MB. But you can try modifying the driver.cab from the original SP0 yourself and add or replace pci.sys with the one from SP3 and then repackage it. Once the installation reaches the final desktop boot up it will bomb out with a BSOD 7B.

DRVSNSP0.ZIP (209 KB)

@XPLives

try editing hivesys.inf and disabling driver signing key for the 2nd phase? that might allow the driver to be installed.

@infuscomus

There was an extensive post I read on what you proposed but the outcome was Windows internally overrides this value again before rebooting to the first Desktop. I’m hoping MattiWatti or others can patch this out entirely. Later the original files could be copied back after it is fully installed if the user wished. Part of the reason to do this is the drivers that are modified lose their signing and won’t install and silently don’t notify you this happened. This is a problem for storage drivers and USB drivers.

@XPLives

There should be a way to do it,
the modified XP Integral Edition at zone62.com has found a way to do it, it never bugs me about driver signing.

Edit, sorry

@infuscomus

Yes I should add I’m also using MattiWatti’s modded SYSSETUP files. It’s probably likely the zone62 method may work with a modified driver.cab but may fail when the layout.inf is altered.

When using an unmodified layout.inf I can alter the driver.cab and storage drivers without the setup aborting. USB on the other hand will not install fully.

@Andualu

Sorry what was written here before it got wiped? No need to be shy. Maybe relevant.

@Mattiwatt

Just curious if MPS mode can be created for XP64 or 2003 given your knowledge
about patching kernels. This could be fun challenges.

@cedar

I sent a similar message to him about this a week ago. Since there didn’t exist a MPS mode for the 64-Bit version and the 32-Bit version couldn’t be made to work you would need the source code to create one. My thoughts from the beginning is adapting the ACPI version to mimic the MPS mode and remove the ACPI functions from it. IF it can be done this would be the easiest without the source code.

Maybe there is a way to compare the XP 32-Bit ACPI vs MPS Hal and do a test mod.

@XPLives
Yup,your mentioning MPS mode got me thinking of 64 bit
having similar mode or even Standard Mode in 64 bit.
Removing things are usually easier and simpler. By what degree,
it is hard to say, only the one who have enough knowledge about
how kernels work can tell if it is feasible.

This is why I think it is possible. But if it is very time consuming,
probably not too many people will be interested in this project.

Even though, if it can be achieved. It is great for troubleshooting
comparison between ACPI mode to MPS and Standard Mode
for so many modern and future motherboard boards.

Mov AX, 0xDEAD has similar knowledge understanding of kernels,
I was curious how hard the task really is.

Edit: if XP64 has no MPS mode. Vista64 and up probably don’t
have such mode either. This I have not verify.

@cedar

I was expecting the XP Pro 64-Bit to already have this so why it doesn’t is a little baffling.

It would be easiest to compare existing XP 32-Bit ACPI.sys and non ACPI files.

I’ll have to look into Vista 64-Bit to see if any of the earlier ones could have had it but from what I’ve read it looks like 2003 64-Bit Betas would be a better way to determine if it ever existed. My guess is Microsoft made them for in house use only so they could test all sorts of motherboards. But since they own the source code all they need is a Snowden to compile it and release it.

But I don’t understand why isn’t the ACPI source code files just released since they’ve already abandoned 2000 years ago and POS 2009 so what’s the harm.

@XPLives
Indeed, 2003, or Vista beta is a good place to look for
if MPS and/or Standard Mode exist at all.
I can only imagine these 2 modes are just subsets
(or much simpler version ) of ACPI mode.

Maybe they can call MPS mode as ACPI version 0.

@infuscomus

Maybe you can list the steps for this and I’ll give it a shot.

But the setupapi.log shows those three files as the problem. When using my unmodified driver.cab I no longer get the BSOD 7B issue.

#-199 Executing "D:\XPPSP0\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup -newsetup
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\rsaenh.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("D:\XPPSP0\System32\rsaenh.dll").
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\dssenh.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("D:\XPPSP0\System32\dssenh.dll").
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\initpki.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 600s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("D:\XPPSP0\System32\initpki.dll").

Hello!

I would like to experiment with Windows XP 64 on my Z390 system and was wondering if I need to patch hal.dll as well to fix the timer issue, like on x86 XP.

@daniel_k
@Mov_AX_0xDEAD
Do you know about that?

I was unable to locate a 64 bit version of that patch so far and I do not know how to apply it myself. :-/
So, in case it is necessary, I attached the latest version of hal.dll from a fully patched Windows XP x64 EN_US (5.2.3790.4355), if somebody is so kind to perform the required modification.

Cheers,
schreiberstein

hal_xp64_latest.zip (110 KB)

Hi @schreiberstein ,

@Mov_AX_0xDEAD has done it in post

Windows XP 32-Bit and Server 2003 32-Bit on Modern Hardware (117)

Dietmar

@diderius6

Oops. I did not see that. Thanks a lot!

Vielen Dank, Dietmar.

Gruß
Alexander

Hello. I have motherboard MSI B150 Mortar and I5-6500 skylake, sata ID DEV_A102 and i wanted to install windows xp 64 bit, but everytime i have 0x000000a5,tried to install from USB(for 32bit it works) nothind, i don’t have cd dvd drive. What can I do? Send all files that i want to install windows XP 64 bit

UPDATED:
Tried all files that i got here(acpi.sys,skip sigcheck, fernando’s drivers for win xp 64 bit) It installs,but after installing everytime i got BSOD 0x0000007b

UPDATED2:
By the method of exception i found that sigcheck breaks installation, installed into my windows xp setup daniel_k’s acpi and XPLives drivers and at least i can get to the text installation