Is it possible to use a bios from a different board ?

So i’ve been looking into bios modding as i want to have nvme support on my ecs z77h2 a2x deluxe 2.0 , as seen in this post :[Discussion] NVMe BIOS Modules and NVMe Support.

The only problem is that ecs isn’t exactly a popoular brand by any means , so i was wondering if i could use one of the modded bios files made for an msi board or an asus board etc, as long as it is based on an ami bios.

@ coaxialgamer:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You can extract the desired NVMe BIOS modules from any other mainboard BIOS and insert them into the BIOS of your mainboard (hoping, that it works for your system), but you should never try to flash a BIOS, which has been designed for another mainboard.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hello,
Thank you for the answer , how do i insert the modules into my bios ?
I’m very new to bios modding , this is litteraly the first time i looked into it.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

Since these modules are EFI modules like the Intel EFI RAID module named "SataDriver", you can do it the same way as I have written >here< within the chapter "How to insert an Intel UEFI RAID "SataDriver" module".
Good luck!

hello ,
I don’ t want to sound like an idiot , but after doing a little bit of research and reading your post , i installed mmtool and loaded a z97 bios made for an ecs z97 board.
The only problem is that there is no module named something like “nvme”( i found “nvmerecovery” on a z170 board bios , but that was it).
Can i use an nvme module from a different board and insert them into my bios ?

Best regards ,
Luc

If you don’t find an ECS mainboard BIOS, which contains the NVMe modules, you can inset modules, which were taken from a BIOS of another mainboard manufacturer. Anyway there is no guarantee, that it will work for your system.

If you don’t find an ECS mainboard BIOS, which contains the NVMe modules, you can inset modules, which were taken from a BIOS of another mainboard manufacturer. Anyway there is no guarantee, that it will work for your system.

i finally found the required nvme modules from an ecs bios using an other version of mmtool.
The only problem is that , when i try to insert the module , i get the"file size exceeds volume size" error .

If you cannot insert the modules into the BIOS (not even in compressed form), you may have to remove some unneeded BIOS modules (like the Intel EFI RAID module named SataDriver or RaidDriver).

If you cannot insert the modules into the BIOS (not even in compressed form), you may have to remove some unneeded BIOS modules (like the Intel EFI RAID module named SataDriver or RaidDriver).

will i still be able to use my pc normally if i remove them ?

Thanks , that worked !
I’ll be testing it in a few days when i get my 950 pro.
Thanks a lot !

Yes, the Intel "SataDriver" resp. "RaidDriver" BIOS module will only be used by your system, when you are running your Intel SATA Controller in "RAID" mode.

So you have it already proved yourself. It is fine, that you got the NVMe modules inserted.
Hopefully they will work with your Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD.