Samsung PM951 / SM951 on a Asus Rampage IV Black (X79) - is it (meanwhile) possible

Hi experts,

are there any chances to boot from a (via a dumb pci adapter connected) PM951 with an ASUS Rampage 4 MoBo?

thank you,
Yves

@yves030 :
Why did you start a new thread? Have you already done a look into >this< thread and entered the word “Rampage” into the search box of the Forum?

yes, I did a search and I even found this thread, but I could not find a "success-story" or how-to-guide…? which page of this mega-thread are you referring to?

thx
yves

Since the related procedure is absolutely different, it would be a very good idea, if you would tell us, whether your Samsung SSD uses the AHCI or the NVMe protocol.

Hi,

this would depend on what works best / faster and what is supported by the board / OS at all.
First, I´d like to be able to boot into Win 7 / Win 10 and later on I´d try to get a Hackintosh with it. Afaik AHCI is a prerequisite there, although i already read
about installs, that managed to run OSX without AHCI…

The SSD is a PM951 NVMe Samsung 256GB (MZVLV256HCHP-0001) with M.2 Connector, and it is plugged into a plain dumb PCI Adapter without boot rom,
because the Rampage IV BE has no M.2 connector.

Yves

If I were you, I would take the NVMe variant.
You will have to modify the mainboard anyway. The related guide for the NVMe SSD is >here<, if you should choose the AHCI variant, you should follow >this< guide.

thank you… supporting both at the same time and changing to the desired boot-method in the bios is not possible?

It is possible, if there is enough space for both modules within the mainboard BIOS.