Request: Modded ASUS Z87-A Bios

Hi all,

This seems to be a cool forum dedicated to bios modding. Were do you get rom updates for AHCI, LAN, IME, Microcode etc.? Maybe I missed it :frowning:

I just wanted to know if anyone does any modding as a hobby?. I have an Asus Z87A and I wondered if anybody wanted to try their hand at modding an updated Bios?

Eventually, I will try my hand at this, but for now, I’m not very confident.

Thanks

EDIT by Fernando: Title specified

Easiest way is to use UBU

[Tip] Easy BIOS Modding with “UEFI BIOS Updater” (UBU)

@ Zardoc:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Most of them have been extracted by different users from existing BIOS files.

I don’t know any Forum member, who does it professionally.

You should try it yourself. I did not write a lot of guides with the intention to modify the BIOSes for visitors or members of this Forum.

That is exactly what I have written to Zardoc at station-drivers.

Happy New Year!
Fernando

Hi,

No access to Asus server at the moment, i found BIOS 1602 at Station-Driver, hoping it’s the lastest ?

Asus Z87-A BIOS 1602 mod

Modified with :

Intel Legacy RAID 12.7.0.1936 to 13.1.0.2030
Intel EFI RAID 12.7.0.1936 to 13.1.0.2030
Intel VBIOS 2170
Intel EFI GOPdriver 5.0.1025 to 5.0.1036
Intel PXE 1.4.10 to 1.5.48
Intel EFI UNDI 5.4.19 to 6.0.24
Realtek PXE 2.52 to 2.58
Realtek EFI UNDI 2.020 to 2.024
Intel CPU Microcode 06C312 to 06C317

En te souhaitant un bon flash ainsi qu’un bon rĂ©veillon (I wish you a good flash and a good Eve)

Hey Virtualfred,

Man, you always were the fastest trigger of the bunch.

All Asus bios have changed to 1707 but nothing about my board.

Thanks for the update.

Merci Ă  toi aussi et bonnes vacances (thanks to you and have a good vacation because this is also the time to rest :slight_smile:

Well,

This is a first Bios says ‘‘Security verification fauiled’’ when trying to read USB drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It is not easy to flash a modified .CAP BIOS unless the mainboard has the "USB Flashback" feature, but I suspect, that the ASUS Z87-A doesn’t have it.
Please ask CodeRush for a solution.

It is not easy to flash a modified .CAP BIOS unless the mainboard has the "USB Flashback" feature, but I suspect, that the ASUS Z87-A doesn’t have it.

Hi Fernando, No, the Z87A doesn’t have flashback :(. Will ask CodeRush. Thanks

Found this neet page about Asus boards

Hi Fernando, No, the Z87A doesn’t have flashback :(. Will ask CodeRush. Thanks

same problem as me

see:

[Tip] Easy BIOS Modding with "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU) (18)

@ Zardoc and elisw:

Here you can find a method how to prevent the “Security verification failed” message, if the mainboard doesn’t have the “USB Flashback” feature: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/2
lity/?p=1951029
The linked thread had been started by CodeRush and natively is designed for Macintosh systems, but the advice posted by the user “Mr. Light Server System” is valid for “normal” PCs.
CodeRush promised to start a new thread about this topic within this thread very soon.

Thanks for the find Fernando. Actually this is a step by step to mod a mdded Bios. I really don’t want to brick this board since it’s my working tool and not my playing.

I will wait and see what comes from comments from CodeRush. Funny I was reading his posts on MDL before I came here

Well, here is what I got and I’m not sure it’s right.

D:\Lance\Download\Mise À Jour\Asus Z87A\Bios\1602>PMPatch Z87A.CAP Z87APATCHED.C
AP
PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 002B50B0 patched.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 006671C0 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
CpuPei module at 007721C0 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

After running your supposed to get nothing to patch message, so I’m not really tempted to try it

I completely understand your decision. This is exactly what I would do as well.

Sorry for that, it’s much more simple with GB and Dual-BIOS
 you’re right, it is more reasonable without any flash programmer

Hi Virtualfred,

I still use your bios tweaks for my GB board and it works a lot better!! I’m at a loss with bios tweaking. My specialty is more desktop tweaking. If you get an idea and you don’t think it will set my board on fire just give me a shout.

Thanks.

You dont need to use pmpatch. You must do this:

1. backup: afuwinx64 extracted-bios.bin /o

2. apply the changes to extracted-bios.bin file. Eg: change the microcode
3. apply: afuwinx64 extracted-bios.bin /gan

HI Florin9doi,

The instructions that you are giving are confusing to me because I have never tweaked a bios. I have a .CAP bios not a BIN. Are you talking about modifying with a command line?
Man , 7 years as an MVP and I don’t understand BIOS tweaking .

Thanks for your patience.

At first step you backup the current bios. So the file will be created with the given name of your choice. I prefer .rom extension for example. So do not bother for the file name.

Sorry I haven’t started a topic about that method earlier, as I have planned like 2 weeks ago. Will do it ASAP.
Credit for finding this misterious undocumented /GAN key goes to nexus76@MDL.
This dump/modify/flash method was tested on variety of boards, but there are reports, that sometimes it doesn’t changes anything (BIOS remains untouched after “successful” flashing attempt), and in rare cases it can also brick the board, so please try it as a last resort and on your own risk.

Do you mean /GAN option causes those problems? Actually I have never used /GAN option but regular backup-mod-flash with afudos without problem. I believe you don’t need /GAN option if you use backup-mod-flash method.