ASUS P6T (vanilla flavor) Meltdown & Spectre CPU updates

Updated BIOS for this venerable but still nimble Asus P6T with updates for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities.
Flashed this today and my Xeon X5680 is humming along nicely @ 4.625Ghz rock stable.
Upgraded to H110i GTX Corsair watercooler on the cpu, and an LSI 9271-8i RAID card to run the four Samsung 850 EVOs in RAID5.
Enjoy up to date performance with a steady daily driver workhorse…dating from 2009!
Only remaining upgrade would be the graphics card to churn out some gaming goodness.

Cheers and thanks for all the tireless help.

Passmark score for your viewing pleasure.

- Intel-RST_RAID-ROM_v10.1.0.1008_TRIM-mod-acc-CPL0
- JMB36x_RAID-ROM_DEV-2363_v1.08.01
- Realtek_LAN-ROM-PXE_DEV-8168_v2.66
- microcode updates for CPUID: Meltdown & Spectre CPU updates

cpu106A5_plat03_ver0000001D_2018-05-11_PRD_AB179397.bin
cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001F_2018-05-08_PRD_77DADA73.bin

Asus P6T Passmark rating.png

ASUS P6T @ 4.625GHz  Xeon X5680.png

cpuZ validated.png

P6T.zip (1010 KB)

thanks

Splendid! Glad that worked out

Hello, I have a Q?
I downloaded the Bios and pressed alt f2 and installed it, But got windows 10 error and cant load. tried with win 8 also cant run. am doing something wrong?
p6t x5680, video 7970

nice ,have in mind microsoft patches for those vulnerabilities might slow down your cpu.
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm (disable both and restart)
C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_genuineintel.dll (delete)
and re run your benchmarks.

will this rom work for p6t se ?

@nofearek9 - If you flash P6T to SE board you will loose SLI, but yes you can do that.

@GTodoroff - were you already using this OS on the board before the BIOS flash? If yes, you may need to set AHCI back again. Load defaults, set AHCI and then >> You can test if disabling VT-d in the BIOS helps, also disable firewire in the BIOS (1394)
@hancor - any other Win10 advice, not sure if it’s compatible but I assume so? I see people posting about using it in Google, asking how to fix this or that (unrelated to getting installed)

thanks, didnt knew SE has sli support ,i thought was only crossfire. (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_SE/)

Yes, P6T SE is only crossfire with official BIOS. P6T vanilla has SLI and Crossfire, either board can be flashed with either BIOS, and I think SLI will be enabled on the SE if using the other BIOS.
This is BIOS limitation on the SE, if you want SLI on the SE use P6T BIOS (aka the BIOS in this thread here on win-raid ) More info - https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-…-flash-p6t.html
@nofearek9 - Sorry for confusion there, I was thinking other way around when I replied

Did all those steps and still no…

As a work around you can try installing Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10 which should work without issue on this still reliable board.

Then copy your saved boot drive to the new boot drive, adjust your drivers for any hardware changes and you should be good to go.

As I recall, I just made an image of my boot drive and copied it over to my new LSI 9271-8i RAID card drive once I had the bios flashed, booted up the first time.

Also remove all other drives, except the boot drive you wish to install to, when doing the first install. Remember to hard power down and reset your CMOS when doing the bios flash, also remove battery for 30 seconds to let the capacitors clear, reinstall CMOS battery (also check that the battery is still good!), reboot, load setup defaults, adjust bios to desired settings ie. I had to specify my RAID 5 drive consisting of 4 Samsung EVO 500GB SSDs as the primary boot drive. Loaded up my LSI drivers and the install went without a hitch.

I hope that helps, best I can do without all your particulars.

Cheers and much success

Thanks @hancor 0 @GTodoroff what type of hard drive are you trying to install onto? If SSD, please give exact and full model name, is it NVME Based?

some kingston 120 SSD, but I did even removed it and replaced for normal hdd and didnt work

Did you disable Vt-d and virtualization?

Also you may wish to DISABLE the JMB36x controller as it doesn’t appear to have a driver for windows 10.
Try sticking with the Intel ACHI or RAID controller onboard as it does have a Windows 10 driver; unless of course you have an add in RAID board like myself.
Currently running Windows 10 v1809 build 17763.195…your mileage may vary.

Cheers

@GTodoroff ^^