ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3.1 Build 3602 - NVMe Mod

I originally thought that @th0mak had done what I needed but I found out otherwise. Still, thanks to him for boosting my confidence that this would work.

I tried to flash my P8P67 Pro Ver3.1 board with his offering using the normal EZ Flash in the existing version 3602 bios and I got a “failed integrity check” message as soon as I tried to read the file that I selected from my USB flash drive. Then I noticed that his offering did not say “Pro”.

My system is as follows…
P8P67 Pro Ver3.1 with the 3602 bios.

I purchased a Toshiba KXG5 256GB NVMe SSD PCIe 3.0x4 KXG50ZNV256G and the cheapest interface card I could find; M Key Interface Card Full Speed M.2 NVMe SSD NGFF TO PCIE 3.0X16 Pro Adapter Aid. My video card is in the PCIEX16_1 slot on my motherboard so I put the SSD in the PCIEX16_2 slot. Windows 10 Pro recognized the card fine as an additional (non-boot) disk.

I wanted to use the device as the system disk so for a couple of days I used the Clover method to boot the system and I installed a new copy of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD. It worked fine that way but I wanted to see if I could mod the bios to eliminate the need for a USB stick with Clover on it.

I followed the guide “How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS” carefully and used the CodeRush UEFITool to insert the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module into the 3602 bios. It fit without having to delete anything from the bios image.

I removed the Clover USB stick and flashed the modified bios from a different FAT32 formatted USB stick using the EZ Flash option from the existing BIOS. When the system reset after the BIOS flash, it booted right into Windows 10 Pro from the SSD. I did not have to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on the SSD again since I had already done that while booting using Clover.

When I check the boot order in the BIOS now, it shows the first device to be “Windows Boot Manager (KXG50ZNV256G Toshiba…)”, second is PATA SS:, and third is my DVD drive.

Here is the kind of performance I am currently seeing…

IMG_0273.JPG

P8P67-PRO-REV31-ASUS-3602-MOD.zip (3.06 MB)

1 Like

Hi @clarkwv2

I have the same board as you, an Asus P8P67 pro with Bios version 3602 installed and I was wondering if you would please answer a couple of questions for me. After applying your modified BIOS, is it still possible to switch the default boot drive to a SATA SSD or hard drive, or is it locked to the PCIE m.2 SSD. Also have you had any other problems with performance, reliability, or advanced BIOS settings?

Thanks,
Randy

@clarkwv2

This BIOS mod works great for ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1.

Some important notes for others:

1. In BIOS the PCIe HDD shows as: “PATA SS:” I did not do any additional changes in settings in BIOS after flashing the MOD.

2. When installing windows 10 you need to make an UEFI USB Stick. Otherwise it does not work. The easiest way is to use RUFUS https://rufus.ie/

3. When using RUFUS follow the instructions like here: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Cre…tick_in_Windows

Create UEFI USB flash drive:

To create a UEFI bootable Windows installation flash drive with Rufus, you have to make the following settings:

Drive: Select the USB flash drive you want to use
Partitioning scheme: Select GPT Partitioning scheme for UEFI here
File system: Here you have to select NTFS
Create a bootable drive with ISO image: Select the corresponding Windows ISO
Create extended description and symbols: Tick this box
The UEFI USB stick is automatically created by clicking Start.

4. When cloning old hard drive I recommend “Acronis True Image”. IMPORTANT: use a Acronis Boot USB Stick => start it only as UEFI => otherwise it does not work well

5. After cloning HDD and restarting with new HDD BLUE SCREEN is possible. You need to reboot in “SAFE MODE”. Then restart in normal mode.

Hi!

I will getting this Asus board soon. Would I need to have the BIOS at 3602 before it can be patched?

The latest BIOS for the board is 3801 (as of 2014). Would it be okay to patch this version? I do not yet know what version it will come with but if I can avoid needing to (possibly) downgrade first, that would be good.

Flash 1st the latest official 3801, then use the guide and mod the 3801.

EDIT: The SPI holds many writes/reading but other issues can damage the chip, a short, bad psu, failed 3.3v circuit, etc… all depends on this facts and the use/age/user write, read operations count… other than this its almost the same in SOIC8 chips.

Sounds good.

Speaking of BIOS updates, I have an older Asus board from 2007. There was a point where I found another update available (the last). When I flashed it, the computer no longer functioned. I found out later the BIOS chip simply failed. I was told the chips that were used were robust enough for reads but could not tolerate many writes. So on the last write I performed, it choked.

I wonder if the P8P67 Pro uses a better chip.

Looks like I was mistaken on 3801 being the latest BIOS. I had the wrong board specs up when I found that. 3602 from 2012 is the latest for the Pro.

Thanks for the info on the BIOS chip. I suppose any of those other occurrences were possible, but since I’ve never experienced any electrical instabilities, etc. prior to the last BIOS update, I’m pointing to the chip as the fault. I should mention this failure happened on my original Asus P5N-E SLI board.

It is possible to enable bifurcation on second (gray) PCI-E port (mode x4x4)? I would like to use two m.2 nvme drive

No, not in this motherboard model or chipset. Only choice is an adapter card with a BIF controller on it, this way not depending on motherboard it self… not very cheap.
Or get a X79/X99/X299 etc…

2 Likes

So, now I have got a bif raiser card for 4xNVMe drivers, also i’ve installed mod bios, but i didn’t see any boot device.
my bif raiser uses bcm-sierra 8652 controller, and my debain 10 able to use any of the 4 drivers. i expected to boot from raiser’s nvme device.
Someone knows what i should to do to reach my goal?

Test: UEFI bios mode (NO CSM), 1 NVMe drive on the adapter, setup Win10 x64 UEFI/GPT mode.
If the NVMe mod is indeed flashed, upon OS setup on destination drives, the NVMe should appear.

The BMC of the adapter has no interference on the motherboard bios DXE initialization, optional drivers on OS only, about Debian and others OS… sry mate this is not my field.
Only special regards on cards that have its own bootrom/oPROM and requires further settings on bios for loading rom add-ons.

EDIT: Never forget…this is a mod not an official AMI solution on these old boards, usually the PATA SS only appears in legacy/CSM off, when in PURE UEFI shouldn’t appear.

Thanks. ill tried nvme driver without the compression and got what i want.

Strange… after a couple of reboots, PATA SS disappeared from the BIOS, and then after power cycle, PATA SS is present again. Perhaps I doing something wrong.

solved the problem by using modded BIOS from @Krazubu (thanks a lot for that).

Is Rev3.1 the same as B3 when talking about the P8P67 Pro? I figured this out.