FIT Tool (CSME) rebuild

I want to rebuild the spi dump image using the FIT tool.

The purpose is to change the ME or to perform a Debug.

Here is what I did:

1. I performed a spi dump. I read it directly on the chip.
2. For CSME 11 version, perform Step 8 and rebuild

"Error 21: [NvarActions] Data Conversion error.
  Error converting data type of length: 53
  NVAR name: RedirectionPrivSecLevel
  value: 1
Error 37: [NvarActions] Could not write NVAR value. RedirectionPrivSecLevel
Error 14: [NvarActions] Failed to write NVAR. RedirectionPrivSecLevel
"
3. I referenced the material Optiplex 5050 - Intel FIT Build Error and could not resolve it.

here is link of spi image [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WzziCg…yVYihbkF6R1rOyS]

[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization

@jhong - No error here at step #8, but I did use r16 V11 package (ie didn’t download latest), FITc is version 11.8.55.3510
Also, I do not know what ME you replaced with, if any. I did not replace with any yet, only did step #8 as you mentioned, saved without error here

jhong FIT Rebuild\orgbios.bin

Decomposed SKU Value: “Intel (R) H Series Chipset - H No Emulation”.

Decomposed PCH Strap Length: 0x58

Warning: Could not set “GbE Read Access” to: 0x00000008, reverting to previous/default value: 0xFFF
Warning: Could not set “Embedded Controller Write Access” to: 0x00000020, reverting to previous/default value: 0xFFF
Warning: Could not set “Embedded Controller Read Access” to: 0x00000020, reverting to previous/default value: 0xFFF
Warning: The ME FW image loaded has been pulled from a previously booted system. Some FW settings will not be allowed to be changed.
Warning: Could not set “Redirection Privacy / Security Level” to: 0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000090B9D97C4571CFCD0042FE6582406DCB55CD79856AB3A7DDF6521B872B5849666D01, reverting to previous/default value: Default
Writing map file D:\Locaton\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r16\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\orgbios\orgbios.map
Saving XML …

XML file written to D:Location\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r16\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\Test.xml

Planned to retest with V11 r20 package, but same FITc version 11.8.55.3510 included so no need.

If you need this done for you, please tell me what ME version you want to use as replacement/update?

Thank you very much for your reply.

The image will also open in the latest version.
However, when rebuilding, an error occurs.

I want to lower to 11.0, and the ultimate goal is to have that technology and experience. In addition, I would like to analyze ME.

I have determined that 11.0.0.1168_COR_H_D_PRD_RGN among many CSME v11 images is most similar to CSME in the current image.
The reason for that judgment is in the image below.

11. Click the “Build Image” icon (or “Build> Build Image”) and it should complete successfully.

If you perform the part, you will see the above mentioned error.

Thank you.

[+] Also, I gave RW permission to FD area. I refer to the following manual
I can use FTP tools
[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

cmp.png

error.png

Sorry, as I mentioned I only tested what you described, open, step 8 = save. That was all you said, so all I could test, without you giving ME replacement info.

The issue I assume without even checking anything is ME replacement choice, current version is 11.8.50.3425 (exact match = 11.8.50.3425_COR_H_DA_PRD_RGN), replacement ideally would be same exact version or higher/latest = 11.8.60.3561_COR_H_DA_PRD_RGN.bin
You do not need to find “Most similar” in how you showed in image, only go by MEA output and make sure it all matches properly. Is there some reason you are trying to use much older ME? Do you want me to test rebuild with the above mentioned matching version, or latest version?

*Edit -Sorry, I didn’t see your edited in reason for using lower 11.0 version, until I posted my reply. Do you have it all sorted out now? If not, I’m not familiar with issues going backwards in FITc, this is one best answered by plutomaniac

plutomaniac can you advise on this ME downgrade FITc error, thanks! I assume maybe due to missing setting in older version, but unsure how he can deal with that.
No problems doing this myself, so no need for advice I think, thanks anyway

Thank you for reply

Do you want me to test rebuild with the above mentioned matching version, or latest version?

>> I want to rebuild the current SPI image into the FIT tool and replace ME with the desired version.

I want to know all about possible methods and try.

: )

OK, I did rebuild with your preferred ME version (11.0.0.1168_COR_H_D0_PRD_RGN) and no issues at all. So, the issue may be your FD changes, do that on the outimage.bin directly via hex instead, if you find this to be the cause.

Did step 8, saved, closed app. Replaced ME Region in FITc compile folder, per step #9, opened app, opened previously saved config, built image, no issues.

* Edit, just retested with FD unlocked (All regions = FF) and no error on build either. Let me know if you want me to upload these files for you.

02/19/2019 03:52:14
Using vsccommn.bin with timestamp 20:58:37 05/01/2018 GMT

Command Line: D:\Location\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r20\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\fit.exe

Log file written to fit.log

Loading D:\Location\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r20\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\Stock.xml

Loading XML file: D:\Location\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r20\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\Stock.xml
Executing pre-build actions
Building objects
Processing attribute: BuildSettings
Processing attribute: FlashLayout
Committing CSE configuration.
Building image with Chipset Initialization version: 147.52
Processing attribute: FlashSettings
Processing attribute: IntelMeKernel
Processing attribute: IntelAmt
Processing attribute: PlatformProtection
Processing attribute: IntegratedTouch
Processing attribute: Icc
Processing attribute: NetworkingConnectivity
Processing attribute: FlexIo
Processing attribute: InternalPchBuses
Processing attribute: Gpio
Processing attribute: Power
Processing attribute: IntegratedSensorHub
Processing attribute: Debug
Processing attribute: CpuStraps
Executing post-build actions

Full Flash image written to D:\Location\BIOS\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r20\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\outimage.bin
Writing map file D:\From G\Location\Intel CSME System Tools v11 r20\Flash Image Tool\WIN32\outimage.map

Oh thank you very much.

As you say, builds are nowhere to go.

But after flashing it again using SPI,

The computer has become a brick.

Can you see what’s wrong?

[edit] I tried booting it several times and it will boot up. Thank you very much.

And the difference is that I inserted the config file as drag-n-drop, but I manually clicked it.?

success.jpg

@jhong - Unsure what you mean by >> As you say, builds are nowhere to go.
I also do not know what you mean by >> And the difference is that I inserted the config file as drag-n-drop, but I manually clicked it

But I can say, sounds like you are doing something wrong, since you got the error I never received no matter how I did the edit, and now you have brick and other issues.
As mentioned, do you want me to upload the files I created for you while testing this myself? OR did you get it finally, hard to tell? Looks like you posted half a MEInfo report above, so unsure where you are now.

Be sure to run this command (Or fully remove all power for 1+ minute) >> FPTw.exe -greset

Well … MY reply English translation is wrong.

I am booting without problems.

Please look at the picture above.

The firmware version went down well.

Thank you again.

I thought you was, thanks! I couldn’t tell for sure, but yes I saw the image of MEInfo and thought all looked OK
Glad you got it figured out, hope you got your FD changes applied too

Same problem, need help.
Trying to enable AMT in my OptiPlex 7050 MFF.
Shorted "service mode" jumper, made a full dump with FPT using latest v11 r41 package.

ME version 11.8.65.3590, Corporate H. Clean image is available in CSME Repository v11 r34 - 11.8.65.3590_COR_H_DA_PRD_RGN.
Changed all AMT Parameters to YES/Enabled, TLS also to YES. Unable to build image.
Tried using latest FIT from r41, also tried with r12, got this error:

Error 21: [NvarActions] Data Conversion error.
Error converting data type of length: 53
NVAR name: RedirectionPrivSecLevel
value: 1
Error 37: [NvarActions] Could not write NVAR value. RedirectionPrivSecLevel
Error 14: [NvarActions] Failed to write NVAR. RedirectionPrivSecLevel
Error 5: [CsmeBinaryGen] Error executing pre-build actions.
Error 15: Failed to build.
Failed to build!

Damn, unable to use links, even i have 3 posts… Please, remove spaces. https:/ / drive. google .com/file/d/1FsgWl5lQP9e4kES4Brx9cvD6uI6R0CvP/

You must be following the guide improperly because I did not encounter any fatal error. Basically, in this case, there are some incompatible settings because the firmware was built using CSME & FIT v11.6 initially, but later upgraded to v11.8. However, if you follow the guide properly, you should not encounter any error during image re-building. And by guide, I mean [Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization which must always be followed when dealing with dumped/Initialized Engine firmware. As for the AMT settings to look for, there are a few of them in ME Kernel > Hide MEBx (No) and AMT tabs. Here are the settings that you can change, as seen at the XML file of FIT:

Capture.PNG

Thanks for quick answer. I thought i may just replace the clean image from repository.
And yes, attached dump have no changes, i thought unmodified file may tell more on what to do with my error.

Uhm, followed the guide exactly step-by-step. Worked with ME region only. It have no "Platform Integrity" at all, thus from step 6 i went to step 8.
Got:
Error 5: [CsmeBinaryGen] Error executing pre-build actions.
Error 15: Failed to build.
Failed to build!

There is no reason to work on CSME region only, it is harder and unnecessary in your case. You have the full SPI dump/image so use that. Meaning, follow the guide using "Fullflash [GD25B128C].bin". You correctly skipped steps 7 and 13. For the clean/RGN CSME firmware, you can use the latest compatible 11.8 firmware as of now (11.8.86.3909), it will work just fine.

Seems to work now, but i’m unable to configure wireless connectivity - AMT menu simply have no such option at all.
MFF system have Intel AC 9260 adapter preinstalled… Am i missing something in FIT settings?
Tried using windows tool - SCS ACU Wizzard with no luck as well - got errors while trying to apply configuration.

*Oh, i have no vPro Wi-Fi 9260 adapter - 01AX769. Need 01AX771.