How to modify the BIOS inside AMD MISC.bin version?

My motherboard is MSI 870A-Fuzion

I have two questions:

1. After opening with MMTOOL found one AHCI ROM BIOS is empty
The updated 4394 or 4391?

2. How to use MMTOOL updated RAID ROM’s MISC.Bin
I can not find teaching article
If only part of the update RAID ROM BIOS will cause damage not boot it?

PS: I come from Taiwan, as well as English is very bad
These questions are used google translator to translate Chinese into English
If the cause is not smooth reading please forgive me

Thank you so much for helping me

870A-Fuzion BIOS.zip (1.1 MB)

@ jordanpchome:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Before I will try to help you, I need to know, if you are running your AMD SATA Controller in AHCI or RAID mode.
Which AMD SATA Controller DeviceID is shown within the Device Manager of your currently running Windows OS (which one?)?

Regards
Fernando

Upgrade amd raid ROM didn’t seem to be much promotion, but can improve the stability of still very much worth the update, unfortunately, Intel seems to have been no Intel achi ROM update.

I seem to forget to install the AMD AHCI drivers

So the final version of the Intel ACHI ROM is "Intel AHCI ROM v1.20E"?

Z77 chipset is it?

What does that mean? You can use either the AMD AHCI driver or the generic MS AHCI driver (from Vista up), but the driver installation will not touch the AMD AHCI ROM of your mainboard BIOS.
Thanks for the pic, which shows, that you are running your AMD SATA Controller in AHCI mode and tht it has the DeviceID DEV_4391.
So you don’t need to update the AMD RAID ROM and its MISC.BIN of your mainboard BIOS.

Yes, that is the latest Intel AHCI ROM, but this has nothing to do with your system, because it has an AMD chipset and not an Intel one.

What does that mean? You can use either the AMD AHCI driver or the generic MS AHCI driver (from Vista up), but the driver installation will not touch the AMD AHCI ROM of your mainboard BIOS.
Thanks for the pic, which shows, that you are running your AMD SATA Controller in AHCI mode and tht it has the DeviceID DEV_4391.
So you don’t need to update the AMD RAID ROM and its MISC.BIN of your mainboard BIOS.

Yes, that is the latest Intel AHCI ROM, but this has nothing to do with your system, because it has an AMD chipset and not an Intel one.

When it needs to be updated AMD RAID ROM and its MISC.BIN?
Operate in RAID mode when it needs it?

When I MMTOOLS open BIOS, I found a lot of PCI Option ROM is the old version so I try to update with MMTOOL

But I found the time to update RAID ROM section, MISC.BIN this file does not know how to use MMTOOL update

Another problem
If I want to update AHCI ROM, is a direct replacement with MMTOOL out "4391" in this section? Or "4391" & "4394" replaced along?

Thank you again

Yes, the AMD RAID ROM and its MISC.BIN module will not be in-use as long as you have set the AMD SATA Controller to "AHCI" mode.

The MISC.BIN module is within the "User Defined or Reserved" line beginning with the ID "F9".
If you want to replace the AMD RAID ROM module by a newer one, you have to replace the MISC.BIN module by the related newer module as well.

I just have extracted and checked the AMD AHCI ROM module, which is shown as being "1002:4394" with an Hex Editor.
Result: It is for DEV_4391.
So I recommend to replace the AMD AHCI ROM, which is shown as being DEV_4394 by the latest AMD AHCI ROM module v3.2.2 for DEV_4391.

All AMI BIOS is all this? I do not know there is no method to judge …

-------------------

I just modified BIOS impress
You can help me confirm that there is no wrong?

Use the following files:
AMD AHCI ROM v3.2.2.0 for DEV_4391
AMD RAID ROM v3.3.1540.19 for DEV_4392
AMD RAID MISC.BIN v3.3.1540.19 for DEV_4392 non-UEFI BIOS
Realtek LAN ROM v2.60

PS:Although this motherboard has a Marvell SATA3 controller, but did not see with MMTOOL related AHCI / RAID ROM

MOD.zip (1000 KB)

If it should be the first time, that you have modified any mainboard BIOS, it may be not a good idea to modify all Option ROM modules (regardless of their usage).
That is why I gave you the advice, just to update the AMD AHCI ROM DEV_4391 by replacing the module, which is shown as being 1002:4394.
Before you are going to flash the modded BIOS, you should prepare an emergency BIOS flash with the original BIOS file (just for the case of a BIOS modding/flashing failure).

You have done it the wrong way.
You should not insert the latest AMD AHCI ROM into the empty ID 20, which is shown as being reserved for 1002:4391.
I told you to replace the module, which is within the other ID 20 line and showing "1002:4394" at the end. Don’t worry about the "wrong" HardwareIDs. The entries shown within the column "RunLoc" are done by the mainboard manufacturer and do not matter. Only important is the module, which is inside the BIOS.

Thank you for your error correction.

I found extracted from the ID "F9" "User Defined or Reserved" file size with MISC.BIN lot worse
The extracted file size has 48KB, but MISC.BIN only 22KB
Is normal? Will I have to take advantage of MMTOOL how such judgments MISC.BIN archives which position you want to replace the BIOS?

extracted file.zip (28.2 KB)

Zitat von jordanpchome im Beitrag #12

I found extracted from the ID "F9" "User Defined or Reserved" file size with MISC.BIN lot worse
The extracted file size has 48KB, but MISC.BIN only 22KB

My previous information was wrong. The MISC.BIN module is in the line starting with the ID "F1" and has an uncompressed size of 53 KB. I beg your pardon for my typo.

Now there is a big problem
After updating AHCI ROM & RAID ROM seems to be not working
Originally opened opportunities arise ‘AHCI BIOS Ver.0001.0078’ or "RAID Controller"
But now only a black screen, and only Marvell 9128 controller work

A7660AMS.zip (987 KB)

@ jordanpchome:

Why didn’t you follow my advice just to update the AMD AHCI ROM module?
As long as you are running the AMD SATA Controller in AHCI mode, your system neither needs nor uses the AMD RAID ROM and the related MISC.BIN module.

I honestly don’t know what MSI or AMD did there…
- RAID ROM: raid1.bin 3.0.1540.49
- the other one: AMD HyperDrive from 2007

That is not a traditional AHCI ROM. I couldn’t even find a version number.

EDIT: after reading the whole thread, I removed some reduntand information.

Sooo I did NOT find an update to this mysterios "AMD Hyper Drive Utility".
Please verify if a traditional AMD AHCI ROM is working with your hardware.
Otherwise you can not update the AHCI part.

Do you have a reason why you want to update your AHCI ROM?
No problem ==> no update… as simple as it gets…

You are right. I have just checked the code of the extracted original AMD "AHCI ROM" module and compared it with other AMD AHCI ROM modules for DEV_4391.
Jordanpchome’s original mainboard BIOS is not a "clean" AMD AHCI ROM, but an AMD "Hybrid Storage" module.
That may be the reason why the DEV_4391 module has been internally linked within the BIOS to the DEV_4394 one.
Conclusion: A replacement of the original AMD "Hybrid Storage" PCI ROM module (listed by the MMTool for DEV_4394) by a "clean" AMD AHCI ROM module may not work.

I did some reserach with Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (rev 1.0) BIOS.

Version F4 includes AMD HyperDrive 0001.0073
Version F5 includes AMD HyperDrive 0001.0078 (the same as this board)
Version F9g includes AMD AHCI ROM 3.0.1540.59

So switching to an AHCI ROM is possible. But we don’t know if its possible within the same BIOS,
or if the BIOS needs to be rewritten (which makes it pretty much impossible for us).
I don’t know to what PCI ID it is linked, the Gigabyte board has an Award BIOS…
This board here has AMI BIOS.

Isn’t that an AMD RAID ROM?