Z87 Bios - Are modding these different ?

Hello Guys,

Ive been using Fernando’s guides to mod my z68 and z77 boards with the latest Intel OROM’S and the Satadrivers (I install in Win8 EFI mode) succesfully.

However i’ve just upgraded to a Z87, its an MSI GD65.
I want to upgrade the Satadriver to version v12.6.0.1867, however i cant follow the guide Intel EFI RAID “SataDriver” BIOS Modules as it appears the bios is set up differently.

If I find the line “SataDriver” in the bios it has a GUID starting “91B4D9C1” and not “90C8D394” as per the guide.

Will this make any difference ?

Im not really an expert on all this so thought i’d check here first before I made any mistake.
Heres a link to bios if interested in take a look http://download1.msi.com/files/downloads/bos_exe/7845v12.zip

@ slickric21:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I am far away from my home and since I don’t have a Z87 mainboard, I am not able to give you a 100% correct answer to your question.
As far as I remember the GUID of the SataDriver is layed down within the related file (should be right at the end of the code).
I recommend to open the in question SataDriver file with a hex editor and check for the GUID code.
If the GUID code should be different from what the Aptio MMTool shows while opening the Z87 BIOS, you should extract the desired SataDriver module from another Z87 chipset mainboard BIOS.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks for the reply.

Im not really sure how to follow your instructions to be honest, I am a novice.
I only know how to search for a text string in Hexeditor, and searching “GUID” brings two entries for the text GUID of course. I don’t know how to find the code.

But I already know the GUID is different don’t I, As described in my first post MMtool show me the Satadriver in my Z87 bios starts 90C8D394, not 91B4D9C1 like Z77 bios’s ?

Comparing the SataDriver.ffs v12.6.0.1867 downloaded from your site, and the SataDriver module extracted from my Bios in Hexeditor I see mine has 12.0.0.1783 at the moment.
The file sizes are the same, but there are some differences, looking at them side by side I see that information is in different places.

Hi
I opened your BIOS file and from what i can see your SataDriver GUID is 91B4D9C1, if you want here is SataDriver (12.6.0.1867) extracted from the BIOS file for Z87 board, it is also 91B4D9C1 GUID.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/05z3n3…/SataDriver.zip

I did notice though, after inserting the 12.7 SataDriver in my BIOS the GUID changed to 90C8D394, i have not noticed any problems with that.

Oh ok thanks Pacman.

I am not experienced like you and Fernando at all, sorry if i’ve been a noob.

Reading you other thread (which you just replied to lol), Do you think its safe to insert that 12.7.0.1910 into my Z87 bios, even though the GUID is changing then ?

thanks for the help guys

Well, i did and the GUID is now different, like i said, i have not noticed any problems.
But that doesn’t mean i can guarantee anything.

EDIT: Also i would like to say that, modding Z87 BIOS might be a Little different, like i wrote here Actual PCI ROM modules (not AHCI/RAID related)
For example the VBIOS extracted from 2 different Z87 BIOS’s can have different Hashes even if the same version, and that GUIDs can be different.

Yeah i’ve also notice that when inserting the 12.7.0.1910 SataDriver.ffs that the GUID changes from the 91B4D9C1 to 90C8D394.

I’ll give it a try and see how I get on, but I id do a test and the SataDriver 12.6.0.1867 pulled from a Z87 board retains the correct Z87 GUID of 91B4D9C1.

Going to use the 12.7.0.1910 as the 12.6.0.1867 at least on my Z77, meant I couldn’t use a DVD rom to install Win8 in EFI mode, hopefully thats fixed now as my Win8 DVD is fully integrated with lastest updates, where my USB version isn’t (and cant be due to FAT32 file size limitation)