Alienware 15 R1 corrrupt ME firmware Help.

Hello, I recently tried to update the BIOS on this Alienware 15 R1 to sell it but it froze during the BIOS update and bricked the BIOS. I have flashed a good dump to it with my hardware flasher and it is running again but the intel ME firmware is now missing or corrupt.

The original ME version was "9.1, Build 1008, Hot Fix 30" and I have the intel ME system tools 9.1 but apparently the descritper is locked and this is where my knowledge ends on ME firmware.

Would someone be able to help me restore this system, I was about to sell it to a mate for his studies but I cannot sell it like this. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I have attached the fptw BIOS dump from before the corruption if it is required. :slight_smile:

intel management engine is missing from device manager.

biosreg.zip (3.07 MB)

@Johndill - Since you have hardware flash tool, dump the BIOS and send to me. I will unlock the FD for you and fix the ME

Thank you, I have attached the dump which is from another AW 15 of the same model I used in order to get this AW 15 working so it does NOT have the correct service tag and whatever else is unique, are you able to get the service tag and other unique info from the "biosreg.bin" in the first post and add it to this bump? :slight_smile: The biosreg.bin is version A10 and the aw15r1dump.bin is A09.

aw15r1dump.zip (4.39 MB)

Send me dump from your exact board, using your programmer, that you dump right now. And yes, I can use the FPT dump to put back your details.
So you say, that FPT BIOS region dump was before anything bad happened? If yes, I can simply swap that for your current BIOS region, unlock the FD and fix ME, then you program back.

Yes, the FPT BIOS region dump is a good backup before anything bad happened.

I have attached the dump taken right now.

I have also attached the dump from after the bad flash if it is usefull.

dumptakennow.zip (4.39 MB)

aw15r1originalafterbadflash.zip (4.39 MB)

@Johndill - Thanks! Na, I only need new programmer dump and old FPT BIOS region from before it broke.
Please wait a sec, refresh page in about 10 minutes, I will edit fixed BIOS into this post

* Wait! Sorry! Please update BIOS to A10 using stock Dell method, then dump with programmer and send me that, in case something in A09 wont work with latest ME FW
Also, do you want unlocked BIOS menu mod done, or just fix ME/unlock FD?

Yes unlock menus also please. I am selling it to a friend who is NOT an enthutiast, but as long as he doesn’t play with bios settings, haha. :smiley:

Updating to A10 now with dell update.

Hmm, maybe no unlocked menu then ? It may be confusing for someone that doesn’t play around in BIOS usually

Haha, ok, I would not want him to mess anything up. :smiley:

Can you set "Express charge" setting default to "Standard charge"?

Yes, I can change default of that, or you can in BIOS directly… Or is that a setting you cannot see in stock BIOS?

It is in stock bios but when bios is reset, the default setting changes to "Express charge".

So that concerns you for him later if he resets BIOS? Anyway, yes, I can change the default no problem

Thank you! Yes, as express charge will wear out the battery faster and gets much hotter so I want its life to last longer for him. :smiley:

OK, will do

I have attached the updated A10 dump. :slight_smile:

updatedA10dump.zip (4.39 MB)

@Johndill - sorry for the delay, took a minute to get all that set to be default for Express Charge! Now, even if/when BIOS resets it will default to Standard Charge
Program in, then remove all power from board. Unplug PSU 24/8 pin cables etc, short CMOS Pins for 10 seconds, press and hold case power on switch or short the pins for 10-15 seconds.
Then let system set without any power for 1+ full minute, then connect all power and away you go, enter BIOS, load optimal defaults, save and reboot back to BIOS to make any other changes you need (ie if RAID, set this before you boot to windows!)
This drain power and let sit for 1+ minute resets the ME FW State
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…995488420988344

If ME FW still messed up, it’s OK, let know and I will use other known OK dump and redo the ME FW.
If it is messed up it’s because of something was wrong in the dump you sent, that carried over when I did the clean/Update.
I have to run for now, will be back this afternoon (about 10 hours from now)

You are an amazing BIOS wizzard!! The IME is now showing in device manager again and is detected in HWinfo! It is also posting quickly again. Thank you so much for your great work! :smiley: And standard charge is working as default! :smiley:

20200402_180819.jpg

---------------------------

I can send you a donation for your amazing work once I get it sold! :smiley:

@Johndill - Thank you! Awesome to see all is working great now! And, good to hear the Standard charge sticks too

Anything you send my way would be most appreciated, thanks!

Hello. I have both a alienware 17 r4 and alienware 15 r3 that bios broke the Intel me. Now it does not shut down and uses does not work other than the thunderbolt 3 on the back. Anyone have any help for me to fix these laptops. Would appreciate any advice.