Asus_Z87_Expert_v2103_microcode_mod.png

Manual NVMe mod

Asus_Z87_Expert_v2103_NVMe_mod.png

Using the UBU 1.79.8 - with UEFITool v25 I also upgraded the following:
EFI IRST RAID for SATA 12.7.0.1936 ----> 14.8.2.2397
EFI GOP Driver Haswell 5.0.1036 ----> 5.5.1034
EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI 5.4.19 ----> 0.0.29
EFI Realtek UNDI 2.020 ----> 2.054
CPU microcode 19 ----> 28 (latest Spectre/Meltdown & now MDS mitigating microcode) Thx Sonix!

Z87E.rar (4.76 MB)

All work, TNX. Samsung 970 EVO Plus very fast :slight_smile:

Yes its nice when you can breathe some more life into an older board!

Cheers

Hi hancor…thanks for all your work on this!

I just got a computer hand-me-down from my son-in-law (has an Asus Z87 Expert motherboard) and am trying to get the bios updated so that I can boot from a Samsung nvme. This topic is perfect, but unfortunately, I am pretty much a noob, and I may have been way off on my attempts so far.

I did take the Z87E.CAP file that you provided, put it on a USB flash drive (actually a number of different flash drives), and tried to flash the bios using the USB BIOS Flashback mechanism (USB drive BIOS slot, motherboard BIOS update button) to load it onto the board…no success. The flash drive initially seems to be accessed (lights) and then stops…the light stays on the motherboard indicating a bios update is active. But it stays lit…and never seems to go out (i’ve waited upto 30 minutes). The existing bios does not seem to be affected or changed when I finally do a reset.

So, I am reading up on the other methods, getting the courage to try something different, haha. Was this “attempt” of mine in the ballpark? I did try to update the bios (from within the bios using the bios’s other provided method: selecting the file manually) and trying to force an update…but the security check for your provided Z87E.CAP fails and the flash will not proceed. Renaming the file didn’t change that.

Any pointers on the “right” way to proceed? Thanks, John

So I read in the manual that the bios file should be named Z87EXPERT.CAP in order or use the USB flashback method…still, a no-go.

@jonpcar

You need to use the correct flashback port and notes found on page 2-13, 2-14 of your manual; see bottom port of item #10 graphic.

Further use a FAT32 formatted USB stick either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 … you may have to experiment a little until you find a USB stick that works for you. I’ve used a Sandisk USB 3.0 on my Z87-Deluxe which worked fine about 8, 16 or 32 GB (no larger).
Look around in your cupboards or desk drawers and you should have some success or buy one cheaply online, or borrow from a friend!

If you’re still stuck you can use the Annex method found here:

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Cheers