[Request] GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.0 NVMe-boot support

Hi!

I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD and a Delock-PCIe adapter. Sadly the (beta) F1n UEFI does not support NVMe booting.

I found here a download with a updated file for a rev. 1.3 board, it seems to work but first (after the first successfull boot to Win10) I noticed the soundcard was completely missing, not just a missing driver. And after the second reboot I couldn’t even access the UEFI anymore. Had to use the recovery-bios reset.

My config: i7 3770k, Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.0, 32GB RAM and a RTX2060 Gaming-Z. I know the CPU is outdated but I can’t afford a Ryzen 9 yet. :slight_smile:

Any help?

@Phischi - Beta BIOS is only way you can use NVME boot, without using USB boot loader methods.
Which thread, and post #, is the BIOS you tested that you mention? I did edit for user here but he never mentioned any sound card issues. Were you already using F1n, before you flashed in the mod F1n? If not, that may be why
But, the mod I am talking about was on U1n, I suggest you use this instead >> [Request] NVMe support for 2 old Gigabyte BIOSes

Sorry for the late reply, work-days are a bit heavy here recently.

I just checked the hashes for the above link and the file I flashed earlier, yup it’s the same file. The Realtek soundcard vanishes after I flashed it (and yes, I did a CMOS reset + loading optimized defaults).

I tried to edit the EFI-file myself, but following the tutorials I ended up running into some error I couldn’t find a fix for after trying to write the image-file…

@Phischi - No worries, I’m always behind too, so I know the feeling So, you mean, you used U1n I made at post #10 linked above?
If yes, please first flash stock U1n using Qflash or the standard update method via DOS, then clear CMOS and reflash the mod BIOS I made. Then enter BIOS, load optimized defaults, save/apply, reboot back to BIOS and then make all your changes.
Then go into BIOS and make sure Azalia (or HD Audio) is enabled at Peripherals page. If it is already enabled, disable, save/reboot back to BIOS, then enable, and check again. You may then need to update Realtek driver too, if you had not already, or uninstall/reinstall it.
I will tag all those users and see if they have audio issues. Did it work on stock U1n?

* Edit - One user replied back and still has this board, never any audio issues with U1n
[Request] NVMe support for 2 old Gigabyte BIOSes (3)

Do as I mentioned above, if that does not fix it, then your realtek chip may just be dead now

Yes, I used the U1n. Though I couldn’t find the setting for the audiochip under the peripherals page… not to mention the Realtek-chip works normal with the stock image: download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3_u1n.zip from Gigabyte, so it is not broken. Maybe they changed something in the revision 1.3? My board is the rev 1.0.

I will try it again and report back.
----------------------

Yay, thanks! I think the reset to defaults THEN flashing the modded image, THEN reseting to optimized defaults again, THEN rebooting, THEN setting everything did it.

Oh and yes, I found the control for the realtek-chip, it just says “audio” :slight_smile:

@Phischi - Great to hear all sorted out now!!

Well barely… https://imgur.com/a/4QcQymI I only see that “PATA: SS” drive as a new one… shouldn’t the entry show a different name?

And I noticed some weird crashes (bluescreens with stopcodes and complete freezing). I guess this calls for a hardware-swap to Ryzen 9 sooner than I thought.

@Phischi - No, PATA is exactly what you want to see (until OS is installed onto the NVME).
Please see #4 in the “This is what you should do” section of the NVME mod BIOS guide, do all steps there exactly -
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

BSOD, you’d have to give me the code before I could comment more, probably you need to adjust your settings all back to how you had them before, so system is stable again
You did load optimized defaults and save/reboot correct? If not, do that now, then set everything back to how you had it before, except anything NVME/Boot related of course
Sounds like unstable CPU or memory etc.