15.X rst raid rom failure report with X99 chipset - don’t try this at home.

To anyone that is considering trying to update your Raid Rom modules past 14.X onto 15.X don’t bother. I inserted both the 15.2 and 15.8 raid OROM and efi modules into my X99 MSI Godlike motherboard and the end result was that even though I was able to install the 15.X Intel RST drivers and access my array the Rom module never initialized. Rst console stated that the array was invalid and not compatible, and could not detect what version of module was installed. So it’s not just that it may cause instabilities it just doesn’t initialize!

Anyhow on a side note was able to update the SATA module to one I took from an X299 board. I think it was identified as ‘Intel Rapid Storage Enterprise driver ver 5.02xxx’ by Ubu Tool as a separate entry where it never said so before. What advantages this brings I have no idea.

Also was able to update the ntfs rom module from an Asrock board that stated an updated version. Asrock is famous for updating their bios’s long after release and found the ntfs efi driver to be 1 kB larger than stock. Even tried to update the efi nvme module from the x299 board but that bricked the system. Thank god for dual bios!

Thanks

@davidm71 :
Thanks for your report.
Since the Intel RST v15 platform drivers and BIOS RAID modules are working fine with Intel 100-/200-/300-Series Chipsets, I have added the words “with X99 chipset” into the thread title, hoping, that this is ok for you.

That’s fine. Thank you.

I’m doing the same but with an ICH10 and getting somewhat the same result, on mine, the last ROM module working ( only through the bios ) is the 15.0.0.237.
Also, on mine X58 (different board) the RST software is super bugged, doesn’t pass the driver verification and on real system, it fail to install both driver/service and make the system un-bootable :smiley:

So @noInk the last rom you got working was 15.0.3.2675? Only in bios?

@davidm71

nope > v15.0.0.2371 on 386 AWARD ( PURE BIOS )

@noInk ,

So 15.0.0.237 worked?? I can’t find it. If that’s the case I’ll try it out next.

Thanks

@davidm71

Yea, it work on BIOS but it does not in Windows because the RST driver ( seems for the past 7 year ) doesn’t support mine chipset…
Poor 82801JR (ICH10) T.T
You could create the array in the bios and manage the RAID only from there.
Everything based on it and it’s not supported… technical documentation removed etc etc…
That firmware on it must be tremendous!

@noInk ,

I suppose the Rst Console system report failed to identify the rom version for you too?

That’s a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

@davidm71

Yep.
Mine ROM version is 0.0.0.0 with the RST management software.
BOLLOCKS ! :DDDD

Well that sucks…

Thanks

So I had also replaced GUID 365C62BA-05EF-4B2E-A7F7-92C1781AF4F9. According to Ubu and details I found in a hex editor from the matching module from a MSI x299 board it corresponds to this driver:
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise - SATA Option ROM - 5.2.0.1029

Since I had the same GUID on my x99 board I replaced it with that but did not receive any benefit or notice any change. Ran various hwinfo apps and could not even find that controller. So begs the question what exactly does that GUID correspond to? Says RSTe Rapid Storage SATA driver… Guess x299 has both RST and RSTe? Not X99?

Thanks

An RSTe EFI RAID module within the BIOS only makes sense, when the mainboard supports the RAID mode for the on-board Intel sSATA Controller (managing the ports 7-10). AFAIK the Intel sSATA Controller of X99 boards do not support RAID.

Thats what I thought but on the x299 board all of the ten sata ports are controlled by the 15.x raid module and the only other way to raid anything is on the m.2 ports but I thought that was Pci-E and not Sata. Going to hook up a Sata drive to port #10 on my x99 and see what controller is activated if at all.

Thanks

Ok I figured out what that GUID 365C62BA-05EF-4B2E-A7F7-92C1781AF4F9 is all about. Its the Legacy Sata controller for x299. The reason I did not notice the effect of adding it into my bios was because I was running in UEFI mode or MSI Windows 10 compatibility Fast boot mode (Non CSM Mode). Turning on Legacy mode basically breaks to posting and booting process with that x299 Sata Rom installed such that either it will say ‘Boot disk not found’ type error or bounce back to the bios setup page. The question I have or wonder is if the original rom was Enterprise branded rom or if not if there is another lower Enterprise Rom from a comparible x99 board out there… Hmm… Interesting… but not that I care because really not a fan of legacy booting anyhow!

Thanks

@davidm71

I successfully installed the RST software 15.2.0.1030 on the DX58SO while booting with the RAID ROM v15.0.0.2371.
The issue on X58 is duo the PCI 2.2 spec and the default value used by the RST driver for the message signaled interrupts.
Reducing the MessageNumberLimit to valid and supported, by the device, maximum number of MSI to allocate: allow the OS to load and/or doesn’t cause any sporadic BSOD on the DX58SO.
That value is 8 on the ICH10.