Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51-78NP) - Unlocked Settings

I’m curious to know if Legacy boot can be unlocked as well; I assumed this laptop didn’t have CSM or legacy oproms available. Even with the unlocked settings I have now (the fd from first post) and SecureBoot disabled, I still only saw UEFI as an option there.

@Espionage724 - I forced legacy option visible (unsuppressed it), may need follow up edit due to something I noticed tied to the suppressed setting, but we shall see
BIOS contains orom vBIOS (many) legacy, but does not contain legacy RST (so no legacy RAID) - Take that back, I see orom RST at 501737AB-9D1A-4856-86D3-7F1287FA5A55 >> EFI one is at 382F560D-17A9-4887-BD9C-EB439C1CC482
However, CSM is not mentioned at all in the BIOS, so legacy may not be possible unless CSM (While hidden/missing) is enabled by default when legacy is selected

@Lost_N_BIOS While it is true you can install win7 in uefi to gpt, you need to have CSM compatiblity which this motherboard doesnt have. therefore making it impossible over uefi.

@Espionage724 Ill update you if I sucsesfully install 7 using legacy

@Kebicle - see my edited reply above at #42 -
As for Win7 and CSM/GPT, you should not have to have CSM enabled to install Win7 to GPT, unless something is legacy only (That’s the only time you need CSM when secure boot is enabled and installing to GPT), but you would need secure boot enabled.

* Edit
@Kebicle - Here is follow up BIOS edit, in case first one fails to allow legacy install, or fails to properly allow legacy selection, or on reboot it’s set back to UEFI etc -
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…514142225296979

@Lost_N_BIOS Just flashed :slight_smile: time to test. As for the uefi windows 7, Im 99 percent sure and the reason has something to do with the boot files, give it a google when you have time.

@Kebicle - See my edit above, I posted the follow up BIOS for you in advance in case you need I know about CSM/Legacy ect, but not sure what you’re wanting me to google.
However, yes, I am aware Win7 and older is major pain on some systems, due to them OEM’s and Intel/AMD trying to get rid of legacy altogether, and in some BIOS this is impossible due to stuff stripped out (other times, it’s just hidden)
For that we have entire section on this forum where you can get help from others more familiar with that about how to edit BIOS or OS install files etc so you can install Win7 on non-compatible systems.
ON this subject, I am not familiar with helping, I only know BIOS editing

First result in google from Win7 UEFI no CSM, looks solved to me - https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads…hout-csm.79551/

@Lost_N_BIOS So i selected legacy using the first bios and after a few reboots (idk what it was doing) But then it reselected back to uefi. Ill try the second bios file now.

If second BIOS fails too, I can hard set legacy but then it may just boot loop or keep resetting (less doubtful that would be possible after hard set) if that’s what it’s going to do

@Lost_N_BIOS The second bios permenatly froze when going selecting the boot tab and doesnt load anything and is on uefi by default (in case you need that info). Have any ideas on how to fix that? the first one didnt freeze but deselected uefi after rebooting several times on its own

@Kebicle - Yes, here, try this one instead to see if same, then if same I will just edit first BIOS I sent you and hard set Legacy so you can test (Making this now, will add shortly)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…128994364929674

Thank you. I’m unable to test this for the next 4 hours but once you are done setting the hard legacy setting can you upload that to the same post? That way I can test both. Thanks for helping me with his by the way.

@Kebicle - Sorry for delay - Yes, here you go, if above one fails then this is built on one that lets you set legacy, it will be set by default now anyway too. So may just boot loop endlessly
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…193489589144492

You’re welcome! Sorry if we can’t get it sorted out, if not then it’s Intel’s fault for forcing companies to do away with legacy

@Lost_N_BIOS The 1st one was still frozen on the boot screen and the second one reverted to uefi somehow. It seems like the bios enviorment cant run in legacy. Any last ideas?

@Kebicle - What do you mean first one was frozen? I only posted one BIOS there, and the BIOS in post #52 should not be possible to revert, but if so I guess nothi9ng we can do.
When you say first one, do you mean BIOS in post #36? If yes, I thought you said that one was OK, but on reboot reverted back, so I built all rest on top of that, specifically this last one.

No, only thing I can think of is what I linked you to above at #46, and I expanded on that at your new thread too, and tagged in legacy pro user I know here

@Lost_N_BIOS Post #50 The first bios still froze at the boot menu, and bios is post #52 still reverted. It shouldnt of been possible to revert but it must of somehow. Thanks for tagging the user.

OK, I see now. Yes, 52 should not have been possible to revert, but to me this says not possible to use in this manner. So you will have to find way to install Win7 UEFI mode, or give up on Win7 and go Win10.
I held back forever, even tried 8 and 10 for a while each time they came around, and went back to 7 all times I tried 8-10 and I did give them fair try too, but now have been using 10 for a while and it’s OK now that I’ve used for a while. I prefer Vista personally, but you know…

@Lost_N_BIOS Haha, Im going to give it a solid effort to install windows 7 over uefi in the other thread. Never used vista before.

Good luck, hope you can get it! Vista is the best Win7

@Espionage724 - Success over here - Error Instaling Win 7 on UEFI Only (No Csm) Laptop (2)

Boa noite. Desculpa ou incomodo em perguntar na língua portuguesa. Tenho um notebook com exatamente o mesmo modelo, comprado nos EUA. Tive um problema nele e queria tentar o regravar a bios para tentar resolver. Esse arquivo antigo (old modded) é exatamente a bios padrão? Digo a bios que vem de fábrica.