Adding Microcode to Dell Optiplex 3060 MFF

I would like to upgrade my Optiplex 3060 MFF to a 9th gen i5-9700t CPU, which isn’t currently supported by the 3060’s bios.

I am attempting to modify my bios to add the microcodes to support the new CPU. I have only just stumbled upon the idea that a bios can be modded so have been reading the site for the last day or so and I think I have a limited grasp of what is required.

My idea is to dump my current bios using FPT -bios -d biosreg.bin and then replacing the volume containing the microcodes with a volume extracted from the 3070 bios (that has the 9th gen microcodes) in a hex editor. The one slight complication is that following the microcodes is a BiosAc file. My idea here is to replace the one from the 3070 bios with the original one from my extracted bios - it’s at the end of the volume (apart from padding) so I am thinking that as long as the padding after is set to FFs correctly then this approach could work.

My question is about whether there are glaring errors in my thinking. I have very limited knowledge and sometimes that is dangerous. Do you see any problems with this approach? I can load my modded bios into UEFITool and it all seems to check out but I am conscious that there may be issues, like checksums that would prevent this from working, and potentially brick my system.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS? - Special Topics / CPU Microcodes - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

1 Like

I wrote down what worked on my 7060 SFF on another thread: Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS? - #164 by simb