AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

How about a search like this: 1002:4391 - Pesquisa Google
Easy right?

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391 - SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA… | Device Hunt

SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [Non-RAID5 mode]

Pretty much self explained, AHCI modules and RAID modules, the rest is user side work and tests, this is mod world not official tools and updates, every user here has to do his work and take their own risks, preferably a user that knows how to recover a failed system and even better a user who can operate and has an SPI programmer. Over_n_Out.

@Fernando What would EFI driver should I match for v13.2.2.2224 OROM?

This is the current Disk Controller EFI and OROM versions on the motherboard I’m trying to update modules at the moment.

Wrong thread - please look into >this< one. An RST EFI module v13.2.2.xxxx has never been released by Intel.
By the way - the Option ROM and the EFI modules can have different versions, because only one of them will be used, no matter with which configuration (LEGACY/EFI) the OS is running.

1 Like

I have JMICRON JMB36x Controller DEV_ID 2360 not 2363

Can i use the above ROM for Device ID 2363 or not ?

You can find the related information within the “C. JMicron RAID ROM modules” chapter of the second post, but you have to try it yourself at own risk.

1 Like

Hello, I have a problem and I would like someone to explain it to me, I would like to update the efi raid driver and my current version is:

EFI Intel RST VMD Driver - 15.2.0.2649
OROM Intel RST for SATA - 15.2.0.2649

I checked it with the UEFI BIOS updater and after entering option 1 I have something like this

The question is why do we update the EFI Driver from Intel OROM in this module or only the EFI driver itself and why does it show me a version that is weaker than I have?
Another question is which version should be updated for Kaby Lake (200 series)

My laptop is Acer Aspire F5-573G
Intel i5-7200U
BIOS v1.51

Thank you in advance

This update has no impact on users using AHCI mode, only have advantages or not…in RAID mode.

The v14 showed by default is left as the it was on the UBU package when was shared: \Files\intel\RST
Inside the folders \Files\intel\RST\15 are the correspondent drivers for your platform, copy and replace the ones in previous mentioned folder, one back.

The latest available version on this OP thread is v15.9.3.3408, performance varies on mb models, so only personal tests dictate the best for each user.

1 Like

I will also ask if I update the EFI Intel RST VMD Driver from the Intel RST for SATA OROM or just leave the EFI Intel RST VMD Driver and leave the ROM untouched?

I will ask about the versions
Intel RST v16 EFI platform “RaidDriver” Modules
Intel RST v17 EFI platform “RaidDriver” Modules

I know that these versions are for coffee lake but it is written that they are partially compatible with the 200 series and I wanted to make sure
Which of these versions will be compatible with the Serie 200 Kaby lake or should I stay with version 15.9.3.3408 as the latest version for the 200 series, thank you in advance

They are presented as so, because some mb will accept higher versions, others won’t.
So, no one can answer that, v15, v16 or v17… if you want play on the safe side, use same generation v15, the safest one…DONT TOUCH!

EDIT: No, but recommended.

So we update EFI Intel RST VMD Driver only this one BIOS element?
Do I need to update EFI Intel RST VMD Driver together with OROM Intel RST for SATA

@martin4562

1. This thread is only about the LEGACY Option OROM BIOS modules and not about EFI RaidDriver or VmdDriver modules.
  2. There is no need to update any BIOS module unless there is a problem while running the PC/laptop.
  3. As long as the SATA connected disk drives are running in AHCI or IDE mode, the Intel RAID Option ROM or EFI RaidDriver BIOS modules are not used at all (can even be removed from the BIOS).
  4. Although there are 2 different sorts of Intel RAID modules (RAID Option OROM and EFI RaidDriver) within the BIOS of your system, only 1 of them will be used (the RAID OROM while booting in LEGACY mode, the EFI RaidDriver while booting in UEFI mode).
  5. This thread is only about Option ROM modules and not about EFI RaidDriver modules.
  6. According to my knowledge an Intel EFI RST VMD Driver v15.2.0.2649 doesn’t exist. Only the latest Intel RST platforms from v18 up do support VMD. The fact, that the UBU tool has shown the related VmdDriver as being present within the BIOS of your device, is obviously caused by a bug of the UBU tool. I bet, that it is the “normal” Intel EFI RaidDriver v15.2.0.2649.
  7. For Intel RAID systems it is important, that the in-use Intel RAID BIOS module belongs to the same Intel RST platform as the in-use Intel RAID storage driver. The user will get the best results, when the in-use Intel Raid driver and the Intel RAID BIOS module belong to the same development branch (e.g. 14.8 or 15.9 etc.).

@Fernando
Thank you for the explanation, but I would also like to ask about the Intel EFI RaidDriver, I have version 15.2.0.2649 and I would like to update it to the newer one 15.9.3.3408, only this one element will update, it is the Intel RST OROM for SATA which will not be updated, nothing will happen to it, first of all, secondly, are the versions of Intel RST v16 EFI “RaidDriver” modules
Intel RST v17 EFI “RaidDriver” modules are compatible with intel series 200 kaby lake??
Why am I asking such a question (it may be a bit stupid) because I have doubts, although maybe I’m exaggerating a bit when it comes to security, I suspect that there is some loophole that allows viewing the files I have on my disk (maybe I’m exaggerating in this respect) of course I have no proof of it and I think that the vulnerability may be in Intel EFI RaidDriver 15.2.0.2649 but as I write, I have no proof that it is present in this version, so I would like to ask which version patches this vulnerability
Thank you in advance for your help

@martin4562
Most important questions:
a) Is the Intel SATA Controller of your mainboard set to “RAID” within the BIOS?
b) Have you created an Intel RAID array?
Only if both questions are answered by you with “Yes!”, a further discussion about your project would make sense, but this should be done within a separate thread. In this case please give it a short, but meaningful title.

To answer the above question,
intel sata is set to AHCI in the BIOS
and if it is set to AHCI, I doubt I would set INTEL RAID because it cannot be done in AHCI mode as far as I know

@martin4562
Under these circumstances no currently in your BIOS present Intel RAID OROM or EFI RaidDriver module is in-use by your system. An update of them would have no effect.

@Fernando
If the BIOS is in AHCI mode and I only update the EFI RaidDriver to version 15.9.3.3408 or to version 17.8.4.4671, it is likely that if the EFI RaidDriver is damaged, the BIOS will boot normally? this is how I understand it, and if something went wrong while updating the module, will the original BIOS restore it?

The risky part of any BIOS modification is not the modification, but the flashing procedure.
Why do you want to risk a bricked mainboard BIOS for an action, which will have absolutely no impact on your PC work, even if the BIOS flash would be successful and the inserted modules functioning?
Is the “good feeling” to have the latest available and maybe compatible modules within the BIOS worth such a hustle?

@Fernando
I mainly want to patch potential security gaps in EFI RaidDriver (if they exist)
for this reason, I want to do nothing more, but I don’t know which version patches these vulnerabilities, whether the one for the 200 series (kaby lake) 15.9.3.3408 or the even newer EFI 17 (if it is compatible with the 200 series but I cannot find information about version 17 on kaby lake) is all it wants to do to patch potential security vulnerabilities

But I would still like to thank you for solving my doubts about EFI Raid Driver, thank you for explaining the difference between RAID Option ROM which works on legacy and EFI RaidDriver on UEFI (if I understood correctly, please correct me) in BIOS
Thank you very much

There’s a method for that purpose, its called the “NERD ANGEL” patch saviour, it basically says flash until it boot no more, then revert back to previous version.

Next step, complain to Intel and the OEM laptop maker, last but not less important, disconnect all your systems from www and external access, try not to ask to many favours to your neighbour when posting in forums.

When we stop seeing a user posting anymore, we know its fixed, we try to know the methods used but the “breach” is already closed.
However, we do feel realized with such contribuitions…

Don’t take it personal… we just lack some “forum” humor… and i can’t contain myself when seeing such examples of “breachs”

It is advisable to make backups and know the use of an SPI programmer, all the best and good luck.