Alienware 15 r3 dead after bios update

This should be : R01 - BAP10033 >> 406E2, 406E3, 506E2, 506E3 - supporting only Skylake

The cpu is i7 6700hq so it’s skylake. You can’t change cpu’s without changing the whole motherboard on this laptop so it didn’t had anything else before on it and it does not have anything else on it neither so there is no point in being compatible with anything else than Skylake if there is only 2 version, Skylake and Kabylake this is Skylake and it hasn’t have to be Kabylake. I can read all sort of codes from the motherboard as I have it opened next to me if you please.

So I think it’s only about Skylake as if you’re not able to change the CPU without changing the whole motherboard neither there is a reson to be Kabylake compatile when I have the shitty version of 6700, the mobile one for laptops. This laptop is a laptop on which you can’t change anything else except the ram, hdd, ssd, wlan chip and the battery. It has to be R01 - BAP10033

@BrickedAlien - We can’t know that with 100% certainty though, but that is what the dump you sent has in it (although corrupted at microcodes, so that is why it’s failing w/ CPU error)
You can change CPU on this board, any CPU with the ID’s I mentioned above will work in this board (unless they’ve blacklisted certain ones, which is possible, but not very common)

Here, please test, clear CMOS before and after write, and be sure to verify the write too. Once in BIOS, load optimized, save and reboot back to BIOS, then make any changes you need.
If this fails, I will redo without your NVRAM (in case that is corrupted too), and then if that fails, I will redo with your NVRAM once more but with redone ME FW
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…423184093593091

1 Like

I am currently not home but I will be in about 3-4 hours, It’s really good news what you’re saying regarding the cpu

I ain’t home yet, when I’ll write the bios do I have to put ram ssd and stuff back or just afterwards when checking if it boots? Does the cmos battery need to be disconected? Also, when clearing the cmos by shorting the pins under the ram do I have to disconect the Cmos battery? Stupid questions I know but wanna do it the right way

Ram must be there to boot to BIOS, SSD does not have to be there until you are ready to boot to the OS. CMOS battery should be there/in-place.
If there is no clear CMOS pins, don’t worry about that step because removing CMOS battery does not always clear it anyway… It will be OK, just be sure you load optimal once you get into the BIOS.

whatever I did it didn’t work, it did the same thing when pressing the power button

I am trying it again, read, verify, open your file, program, read and verify = chip and buffer same, hitting exit, removing cmos battery for 2 min, put it back, trying to power up and same behaviour although there is a slight change, half of the keyboard lights up now when I also press the power button in combination with any key then release both. It’s interesting how this bricked “investment” can remember the last color it had selected for led’s but can’t post.

The latest update that was done succesfully via os and .exe was to 1.8.0 from 1.7.0 and it had in release notes something about Intel and improving security and such. Maybe the laptop contractited itself considering a security issue what I did and locking the cpu to prevent from stsrt. It also could be that I am doing something wrong, as an example after clicking open and selecting your file I don’t feel like the program actually opened something. I realised now that is possible that I didn’t run the programmer soft as an administrator.
I will go take a nap as I’m awake and alive on coffeine for over 30 hours, uni exams and essays and sh*t

Sorry for the douBle post jost doing it so not to annoy you via pm But for you to receive a notification.

THE LAPTOP IS BACK TO LIFE ! Thank you sir! The only Bad thing aBout it is that I screwed a long screw from the Back of the motherBoad through the keyBoard in the front and now the letter " B " is dead :)) But that’s a small price to pay and I will remap B to another key or Buy a keyBoard.

Somehow I lost 5-10 fps in a game though and after 1920x1080 the screen resolution get distorted into not Being 16:9 But I don’t think is related
Also somehow as soon as I Booted into windows I was prompted to receive a windows update…never did for a loot of months now.
I hope that you haven’t secured a Back door into the laptop

Whoever gets here via google and got his alienware killed after a Bios update follow this chat on how to fix it, I am not sure if you actually need a custom Bios or if you can do it with the file got from unpacking the Bios.exe with 7zip.

@BrickedAlien - Awesome you got it! And you’re welcome!
So, why do you think it was failing for you initially, just not good programmer write? Very sorry to hear about the screw and “B” Key!! , good thing is if you replace it’s easy and now you already know how to tear down system.
I’m not sure since this is “Alienware” but generally laptop keyboards are fairly cheap, 10-12 for non-backlight and 15-20 or so for backlight ones. Hopefully you can find one cheap

What is this about resolutions?? Maybe you need to reinstall graphics driver? Sorry, not sure about windows updates, it may have to do with whatever BIOS or microcodes were in there (it may want to replace BIOS or load it’s own microcodes etc)

Haha, no, I wouldn’t even know what a backdoor is for a BIOS, let alone how to code one into the BIOS. I used stock BIOS volumes, and left your NVRAM and some padding files in place and replaced then only replaced several volumes from stock BIOS to the rebuilt one.
So, no, it’s not really a “custom” BIOS, but you do have to know what you’re doing to rebuild a BIOS and how to do that correctly with certain tools (not all can be directly replaced via tool, some need done via hex or BIOS will break).
You also have to know which things to leave in place or transfer into the new BIOS to keep your system specific info in there too, otherwise you’ll loose your serial, asset/service tag, and possibly LAN MAC ID and Windows Activation etc.

Yes, the issue was with the way I was doing it and indeed if you load defaults in bios it asks you “Load optimized defaults?”.

The Gpu issues were solved by pressing F7 and selecting to use discrete Nvidia Gpu always, so this way the dissaperead resolutions got back and the performance increased. Also in nvidia control panel the Display options dissaperead (resolution, brightness, contrast, scalling etc) and they apperead back after selecting with F7 the Nvidia gpu to always be used.
Overall I am happy with the way it works now but I will open it one of these days to change the thermal paste, also I need to buy a better cooling pad and an external monitor so I use it as a desktop.

Also I managed via the .exe from dell to install the previous version of bios, 1.7.0 as it seemed more stable and better somehow but the instalation looked quite weird, I thought for a second it’s gonna die again.

Wow so glad to hear you got your system back alive! I believe that I’m in essentially the exact same situation as you are, with the same computer 15 R3… I was updating to 1.8.0 and the update hung at updating ec 100%. Sometimes I get the 2-1 cpu failure code, sometimes it has normal lights but no screen and one in 20 or so attempts it will actually boot but the keyboard and touchpad don’t work, and I see some signs of the ec not working properly, the fans run at 100% all the time and hwinfo doesn’t have fan control anymore and doesn’t show either fans rpm either… Could you - would you please help me bring my laptop back to life too? For the last week I thought I toasted it and was already looking at the option of parting it out or selling it as a non working system - until I found this thread today, now I actually feel like there’s a chance I didn’t destroy the first real nice computer I’ve ever had! If you would be willing to help me I would be indescribably greatful.

give me your e-mail

Not entirely sure if I should start a whole new thread as I saw someone else had a similar issue, please correct me if i did this wrong.

I have a M15R3 that died during a bios update. I get the 7 beeps of death - and a black screen, on a computer that has had around 200 hours max usage that has been sitting as a python coding machine in the corner of my room. unfortunately i thought i could do an update without issue… girl was I wrong. T_T

The difference between myself and the other thread on the M15R3 is that I have an i5 other than that - the one thing i didn’t do was turn of [cpu performance option] in bios before update which dell recommends per support article: (https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-…-update?lang=en)

Dell support is saying get a new mobo we don’t help remote bios issues, but I see that @brickedalien had some success here.I ordered the CH341A + SOIC8 items to dump the bios, hoping someone can help me as I really would prefer to fix this - rather than get a whole new computer. seems like a good skill to learn rather than wasting time with dell support for the next two months convincing them to swap my mobo. Thanks for all the help in advance! I just don’t know where to go from here… especially while locked up in apt in nyc during the pandemic.

Again,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask - happy to join the old thread, but didn’t want to confuse the two issues. Sorry if that is incorrect.

Abita

@St00 - do you still need help on this?

@abitadrift - I replied to you with reply on most of this in PM, but I will repeat here, please DO NOT erase or write anything to BIOS chips until you’ve dumped BIOS and I’ve checked your files and said OK we can move forward

We’ll get this fixed once your programmer stuff arrives. What is your BIOS chip/chips ID? Read off the chip, you may need magnifying glass and or flashlight.

Merging with other thread now since both are BIOS brick/recovery for the same system

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS

Got everything and dumped the file -
https://easyupload.io/asxdty
password alienware

Same bios chip ID as far as I can tell. 25q128fvsq - can’t quite read whats under but i believe that to be the correct id.

My bios is much smaller in size though compared to BrickedAlien - even though i verified 1mb seems small…

@abitadrift - Not sure what you used to dump that, but no need for me to look at that file since it’s not correct size from a dump from the chip you mentioned. Please see below

For W25Q128FV you need to use 1.18 version CH341A software, or use ASProgrammer 1.41
Here is CH341A software package that has 1.18 (W26Q128BV ID will be used with 1.18) - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…695330485827902
And here is ASProgrammer 1.41 - https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases/ << I suggest using this, since I have not personally tested with 1.18, but few others were OK using 1.18 (all other version fail, that I have personally tested)

Be careful using new software, do not erase or use auto etc!!

Please also link me to your stock BIOS download page at dell, thanks! I’m not sure if 15 R3 = same as M15 R3, so wanted to be 100% sure what BIOS/system you have

Ohh! Also, I checked the file you uploaded, and from what I can see this is split BIOS (you should see two chips).
Or, it’s possible that I may see this due to it’s not full dump, but check to be sure you do not have 8MB chip and 16MB chip on there, or two 16MB chips etc

Woops Sorry mate! @Lost_N_BIOS

https://easyupload.io/u02mx1 : password alienware

16mb - verified

@abitadrift - So, only one chip then, correct? If yes, great! Also, please tell me what software/version you used for the above dump, in case we need to know later.
Also, please see my edits above, in case you missed them. I need you to confirm system model and link me to stock BIOS (in case it’s not same as Brickedalien BIOS I already downloaded stock stuff for) - In case BIOS is too corrupted for me to be able to tell.

* edit - @abitadrift - Also, what is your CPU, now staring down same question as started at post #14 on page one here. Your BIOS IS the BAP11022, and brickedaliens dump wasn’t, so when we guessed and went ahead with 11033 it was OK due to that was original
But, the main reason for this being of concern is that the bricking may happen due to stock BIOS package contains two BIOS images 11022 and 11033, both for this system and brick may be due to wrong one flashed in thus your dump may be 11022 incorrectly.

i used 1.18 for the above dump.

I have the same 3 chips that brickedalien had - my system is slightly lower specced.

Processor is an I5 : i57300hq

I have 3 chips that I think are bios chips on the motherboard- the one as mentiioned above same as BrickedAlien and two others i can’t quite make out. I believe the one in back is

The chip I dumped (same info on it as brickedalien): winbond 25q128fvsq

The second chip in back of the machine winbond 25q80dvsig

Third chip i really just cant seem to read it doesn’t say winbond though, has a weird G symbol on it.

board.jpg

P.S. If i remember right the bios was before: 1.0.5 American Megatrends(?) but i could be wrong. Definately a i5-7300HQ @ 2.5GHZ + GTX1060

Let me know if you want me to take close photos, or you need more info. Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS

@abitadrift - Please redo dump with ASProgrammer 1.41, this way we can confirm dumped contents are valid as they are, and then we know write should also work with 1.18
The file is corrupted at 2-3 areas, but this may also be some to do with what you dumped BIOS with, so we need to do with ASProgrammer now to be sure, that way we know the write will go in properly (it may be fine with either, but best we check)

Thanks for chip info, I think just one BIOS then (other is EC FW sized) I can’t read any on the image you attached, it’s way too small

So, due to your CPU, then BAP11022 is correct, so I will use that (1.7) BIOS to fix your BIOS.

I was having an issue with ASP Programmer where it locks out whenever it tries to save :frowning: any suggestions? I’ll try again with compatibility mode, but that was why I used 1.18 instead of ASP XD

On the image- there is two winbond chips, one i dumped one i didn’t and a third i can’t read. :frowning:

I will try again with ASP now!

Update I see this when trying to write:

access.PNG

What do you mean “Locks out”? Try running as Admin.

Yes, I knew what you meant about the chips, but I thought maybe I could see/tell what the other chip was by looking at your image, but when clicking it I found it’s WAY too small, so I couldn’t help to tell you what chip it was

Maybe if @BrickedAlien is around right now, he could confirm is 1.18 did the write OK or not, or if he used ASProgrammer instead. I looked back, he didn’t confirm which software he used

* Edit - @abitadrift - Not sure what you mean “When trying to write” you shouldn’t be writing anything at this point!?
Close program, open again by right click the EXE, run as Admin. Then hit the little lock icon to unprotect in case protected (not the drop out next to it), then do read, verify and then save.