Alienware 15 r3 dead after bios update

Ahh thanks,

Lock out - says "access violation" in ASP Edited - i uploaded the image of the issue to previous post :slight_smile: alwaays running as an admin thanks!!! sorry i mean "save a file" as in write a save - not write to chip sorry my english :frowning:

See edit above What version is that? if it’s 1.41, try 1.40 and see if you have same issue
If issue persists, we’ll just have to try write with 1.18 and see if it runs or not

* Edit - @abitadrift - Also, try NOT running it as Admin, just regular, and NO compatibility mode changes, that is how I use it in Win10

1.40 worked https://easyupload.io/7fcms3 password alienware :))))) thanks @Lost_N_BIOS .

“Saved” not wrote file lol - did what you said, unprotect, read verify save

Confirmed dump is match, thanks! This means 1.18 “May” be OK to write, but we still can’t be 100% sure, so if you use it and it fails to start, then try the same write again but with ASP instead (For writes, do erase first, then blank check, then write/verify)
OK, please wait, I am in middle of rebuilding you a BIOS now

@abitadrift - Here, should be fixed now!
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…413964112411941

Due to ME FW Update, after programming, unplug PSU from system if you have it connected, press and hold case power on button for 1+ minute to drain all power from board.
Let sit for 1+ Minute like that with no power, this resets the ME FW state

*Edit - If it fails, then I will have to remove your original NVRAM and replace with stock, then you will run and get system going, then dump again and send to me so I can put back in your system details.

Dear Lost_N_Bios and Abitadrift,
perhaps I have same sort of issue. But i got locked out by a bluescreen while installing FW! I was updating an Alienware M15 R3.

Whilst downloading all drivers from Dell site where I also wanted to make ISO for later use. I noticed that all files where to be installed after downloading too late. Then whilst flashing a blue screen appeared which forced me to reboot…
that did not ever work, screen turns on for 10 seconds with bootlogo and press F2 or F12. No response and turns off whatever .

Hope you can help us both out Lost! Or if this thread needs another location, feel free to move.

Greeting Allan

Hey u legend my laptops had the same issues as these guys same model to tried bios is corrupt after update

Getting HDR files in usb

Then disconnecting the battery and pressing
END that didnt work

Pressed CTL +ESC that did nothing do sadly

Tried the same with battery in and nothing

Tried taking laptops apart part it together again same thing lol

So you can help me fix u would make me so happy:)

@Allandin
@Taran156

You guys both need flash programmer (CH341A) + SOIC8 test clip with cable. Once you get, dump current BIOS contents and send to me, then wait.
Also, maybe best if you give me your BIOS chip ID’s too before you dump, in case you need to make dump with certain software or version.

Here is cheapest, slow shipped example of what you need on ebay, but you can get shipped faster on ebay for more $$, or from other places like Amazon, Newegg etc any place near you that sells lots of computer stuff may have.
Also, some places you can get kit with both at once in bundle, so shop around.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123255178089
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183425731977

-update- I took my laptop to a local IT repairshop. It took 1 week and 200 euro’s, but now it is running good. First some issues with powercycle, it tend to reboot and show safe mode. This stopped after installing all the drivers in Windows 10. I still need to update my firmware… that is giving me sore brains. I think I will take the repairshops advice and let them do that. Thanks for trying to help. Good luck all.

-------------------------------

oh, the guy there told me there are three chips that needs to be resetted!

@Allandin - Very sorry to hear, they robbed you that much $!!! You could have fixed for less than $7
Should only be a single chip, possibly two that needs fixed, depending on how you bricked the BIOS to begin with, usually it’s only one that gets messed up during a bad flash.

Order those tools I linked above now, that way next time, with any system, you wont have to wait weeks and can fix for free since you will already have the tools in hand.
Those also come in handy for some BIOS that wont let you flash in mod BIOS easily, so you can edit or unlock BIOS menu etc.

Thanks @lost_N_Bios, I did save the items, but did not yet order them. How about the part of " and send to me, then wait." What happens here…? Kind regards, Al

Thank you @Lost_N_BIOS so much for bringing the laptop back to life, you awesome!

@Allandin - I would then transfer your system details (Serial, asset tag, MAC ID etc) to a clean fixed BIOS and send back to you to program back in

@Belko - You’re welcome, glad to see you back in business!

!lost_n_bios
I certainly will use your expertise next time… Thanks for all the help

@Allandin - Thanks yes, anytime y0u need BIOS help, stop in and ask, I can often help

hi Alienware r3
i7 7700hq
gtx 1060
same 2 red one blue on strat up
can you please help
attaching bios bin file
thank you
https://gofile.io/d/6fbnDT

@zorro123321 - What is Full model, please link me to your stock BIOS download page.

Dear Lost N bios.
Im Luciano from Argentina. I feel very happy after reading almost all the post and all the guidence you give to different users. Thank you for being so great. Yesterday my alienware 15 r3 died and now i have black screen, 7 blue lights and 2 reds. I ve been suffering till that moment. I never flashed bios before but i feel in condition to buy the programmer, desolder the chip and do it by myself. If you are able to guide me i would be very happy. I used to have the last bios version, dont remember since which version the problems began. After turning it off, it wouldnt turn on inmedeatly, usually few ligths and beepcodes. But after a few attemps it used to turn on and work perfectly (used to leave it on always, problem happend after putting it to sleep for a few hours too). Yesterday suddenly bsod, then my m2 sata disk wouldnt be recognizable from bios. Felt very strange, turned off and then never turn on again.
Mine is i7 7700hq gtx 1070, next post i link to driver page and programmer to buy. Cant post in the first one.
Thank you a lot.

-------

I repair computers but never been able to learn about reflashing bios, i feel this is the perfect moment to learn from the community.

Im not able to post any link to the programmer or dell site

@pepebmx - Hey! Thank you for the support

Chip does not have to be desoldered, and unless you are good at desoldering lead free items then probably best you do not. You can program BIOS in place with SOIC8 test clip with cable.
Remove all hard drives, and leave only one memory stick. Does it start them? If not, also check with external monitor connected, on all possible external ports, this to see if graphics card is dead.
Your LED error code/colors, may also be LCD faulty, due to this posts info, so external would be good way to confirm -https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comme…linking_lights/
Check the cable as mentioned on that thread too, if you open it up, could just be loose cable. Can you hear windows boot when drive is connected, or did you have it on mute?

Says same here
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/…e437&lang=en-us

Or, could just be BIOS, they say replaced motherboard fixed it here (but did not test BIOS reprogram first)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comme…button_flashes/

What makes you think the BIOS got messed up, did you try flashing it before this happened?

After being member for one day you can post links, or you can break the link and post it, it’s OK - I know you are not a spammer

Hi again! Had been reading the guide on how to flash bios, learned a lot. I thought that it was always neccesary to desolder bios chip. Thanks for you knowledge. I already ordered bios programmer and soic8 test clip. Will have it in 3 days. I already did basic checks, unplugging battery, cmos battery, tested with one ram, disconected and reconected all flex cables that are visible not taking apart the second backcover. I never had video issues, always played games and do some rendering without any problem at all. Use to have it always conected to a display port monitor. So the lcd was always off. Before this problem began light code use to be other one, and used to beep to. I dont realy know why now it doesnt make any sound. Tomorrow i will take apart all the computer in order to check all the other cables i cant reach. I already opened it a few times to repaste it, so i would not have any problem. If video died im really sad cause this was my only gaming and rendering machine. I hope it is only a bios problem. Tomorrow I will post pictures of bios chips, because i dont know on which one it is.
Thank u a lot and good night. Hope u can help me.

@pepebmx - No soldering needed, here is guide on how to use programmer and clip - [GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer
And here is software package - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…213094641136166

What is your BIOS chip ID, so I can tell you best software to dump and write to chip with? DO NOT use auto, erase, or write in programmer software until I checked your dumps and said all OK.
Ohh, OK, yes, I will tell you what is BIOS once you send image (Put in zip/rar, thanks)

“Never had video issues” means nothing, graphics card can die in one second at any time. Did you now check it with all possible external monitor connections? If not, try that now.
If it is dead graphics, then external monitor should work, on some connection, but LCD would not. If it doesn’t work, then it may be BIOS, or other issue.

You’re welcome! Yes, hopefully redo of BIOS will fix it, but usually that would be needed if you had a bad flash etc, not from general usage causing BIOS corruption leading to issues you mention and LED codes shown now etc
But, yes, you never know, we’ll see once you get programmer if BIOS redo can fix it