AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY)

I heard the 390x won’t even support directx 12? Truly?

Hi, lordkag

inno3D iChill GTX 660 Ti 3GB HerculeZ 3000 (C660-3SDN-L5GSX)

That is rare (and good) non-reference card and there is no any BIOS in the Internet for that device.
I asked official support for the BIOS GOP update, but I have no answer.

So. I kindly ask you support me and check the screens and files have been prepeared with your great tool.
All info you can find in the attachment.

Please, check if the updated BIOS is OK and have no errors.
Thank you.

P.S. Should I need for the unlock before flashing? How the full command line should look like?
Sorry for my English :slight_smile:

inno3D_iChill_GTX_660Ti_3GB_HerculeZ_3000.rar (246 KB)

Everything looks in order, you can flash your updated image. For the flashing process you can find all the needed info in this post or this one. You don’t need to disable your card from device manager, since it is older generation. And if your card is write protected, you can just use --protectoff before flashing, then --protecton after flashing.

@lordkag
Sapphire HD5670
atiflash -i

adapter bn dn fn dID       asic           flash      romsize test    bios p/n    
======= == == == ==== =============== ============== ======= ==== ==============
0 01 00 00 68D8 Redwood M25P10/c 20000 pass 113-3E151DP-EP5

Probably in this card does not insert the GOP?

Sap_HD5670.rar (106 KB)

The card itself appears to be supported:

HD5670.png

Whether the GOP will work, this is to be determined by you (or the owner of the card). But as you have seen, the card has a GPU microcode. If you update the image as is, the microcode will be relocated and will not be used anymore. Even if it were possible to fix the pointer to microcode, the Legacy + GOP + microcode will be 135KB at minimum, beyond the 128KB that the chip has. So you have a choice: either keep the microcode and leave the card as it is, or remove the microcode (delete everything after 0x1A000) and update with GOPupd. If you decide to use GOPupd, you must remove the microcode, otherwise GOPupd will re-add it after EFI ROM and the image will be bigger than 128KB.

I don’t know how important is this microcode. Like for CPUs, it can be a fix for something that you will never use, or it can be an important fix. If you can flash the card multiple times with no worries, you can test the card under stress, with and without microcode.

Some stuff not at the DB, from MSI cards. One Nvidia and some crappy old AMD stuff.

vBIOS.rar (3.21 MB)

@lordkag
I remember that on one graphics card HD7770, microcode corrected the number of stream processors. Instead of 800, it was involved 640 stream processors.
What microcode fixes in this case is not clear.

Yet here is a question. After the update (add) the GOP in VBIOS, the card will be able to continue working in the CSM (Legacy) mode? On the new graphics cards I’ve seen a switch that allows individuals to switch between modes of CSM or EFI.

lordkag

Thank you for the support. My bios was updated successfully and GPU-Z shows UEFI compatibility.

I used NVFlash (WIN) v5.218.0.1 because in DOS mode something went wrong with NVFlash (DOS) v5.136.
In DOS mode nvflash didn’t want run any simple command and I have to reset every time.
I don’t know why, may be my traditional flash-stick has uncompatible DOS version (ME) …

Anyway, I’m on the legacy mode now until fresh OS install in UEFI mode. Then it wil be clear test for my system.

It will work in both modes, depending on your BIOS settings: whether you have CSM disabled or enabled, whether you force EFI or Legacy first. The EFI ROM is linked after the Legacy ROM and it is up to the main BIOS/UEFI to use it. I don’t know how those cards work: either they have a dual VBIOS, with one being Legacy only and the other hybrid, or they have a dual VBIOS with one Legacy and the other just EFI with some config data in a separate ROM.

@ingviowarr

You had an old version of NVFlash for DOS, a newer one is here. The latest I have seen for DOS is 5.166, but the DOS one is not patched for skipping secure check and it hasn’t been updated for newer cards. It seems like the Windows or Linux one is the only viable choice. And yes, the proper test will be in UEFI mode. But the mainboard may also be a problem if you have an old one, as it has been reported by some users.

One minor update, Version 1.8.1 :
- updated GF10x to 0x1001F
- added GK1xx Multi Display GOP 0x10030
- fixed version detector for some GF119

The Multi Display GOP will only be offered as an update when a similar GOP is found on the card, but not on the "select your GPU… " screen. This is to not confuse users, since I myself don’t know how to tell when a card is multi-display. By looking the ID of the found EFI ROM, it seems that Nvidia Grid K1 is one of them.

Please check the updated rom if it’s safe to flash, I’ve got this error “No EFI ROM found or error on decompression !!!”.

I’ve included the original rom and the updated one in the zip file. Thanks!

Untitled-1.jpg

GK104.zip (178 KB)

The image is good to flash. The first error is normal for cards that are missing the EFI ROM, even though the colour and punctuation would make you feel otherwise. The second yellow message tells you that a dummy/placeholder was found, which is a good thing. It tells you that the card is GOP ready and that it has enough space for it. As long as you select the right GOP (which you did), there shouldn’t be problems.

You are good to go. Please report back if everything worked as it should and as you wanted.

There’s an older AMD GOP in that SPI image that reports as rare.

Vostro_3010_Inspiron_3045_A04.rar (1.89 MB)

Thanks, added. You can ignore the followings (or better yet, add them to database), if you find them:
- GF119 - 0x1002A - Jan 20 2014 - 17684658 - 2F582D75
- 1.56.0.0.0 - **** - Nov 7 2014 17:35:59 - 125 - 1095112 - 0xDEADBEEF - Unsigned - 22920B95

I have nothing to be worthy of a new release, so I can’t update them right now. By the way, you were right about those GRID files being multi-display, just as I was right when I said they weren’t. It turns out that those card can indeed support a multi-display GOP, but version 0x1002A was still a regular GK1xx GOP. The first multi-display I have found was 0x1002D, so between 0x1002A-0x1002D they released this multi-display type of GOP. I don’t even know what to do with those cards. I’m thinking that I should offer a choice between regular and multi-display for those specific cards/IDs, but this is low priority now.

Ah, the gop from Dell. It’s probably something similar to the dummy EFI GOP that was used back in the day. Those cards were multi-display capable but behaved as normal ones until a gop was ready from Nvidia. The only reason I said these could be multi-display is because of the Nvidia documentation included which mentioned this release as such.

Indeed, the chance of finding someone with such a configuration is relatively low. An idea: if such a card is identified, mention that it can support both types and allow the user to choose with a possible recommendation. For example, if the vbios included a MD-GOP suggest that, otherwise a normal one etc.

I will add those two entries you mentioned at the DB to not report stuff you have already found.

Technical support Sapphire sent me VBIOS with EFI GOP Driver for video card: Sapphire HD7870 GHZ Edition 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/DUAL MINI DP OC versiom
P/N 299-1E217-200SA SKU# 11199-03-40G

I attach the original (backup OROM only) and send the files.

VBIOS_Sapphire_HD7870.rar (139 KB)

Forgive me for not understanding your message, is there a problem with this file or something else I should check? The file from Sapphire has the latest available GOP and that GOP is already present in GOPUpd. Please be aware that Sapphire sent you an older VBIOS than the one you had, so better use GOPUpd on your original file. There is no signature check for AMD, so nothing to worry about.

@ lordkag
I was curious how to make VBIOS in the technical support service. The result is put for review. :slight_smile:

PS And for my video card, can make a newer VBIOS OROM?

Edit:
BIOS or VBIOS, all have to do yourself. :slight_smile:

Thanks lordkag, I managed to update the GOP driver to the latest one. I will post the nvflash log if you are interested later as I’m on my phone.

NVFlash v5.221 x64

nvflash v5.221 x64.rar (754 KB)