AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY)

@MeatWar
I found a firmware on the TPU, flashed it via -f , also updated the GOP to 1.70.0.15.50, now it says the input is not supported, help me what to do?

Asus_updGOP.rar (108 KB)

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

I will add to my post.
When using an hdmi-vga adapter, the signal is output to the monitor. It seems to me that the problem is that the video card produces some strange format that the monitor does not support.
Is it possible somehow at the vBios level to set a different format or image resolution?

Hello guys, my post seems to have drowned, may I ask please once again:

Data after ROM and not part of EFI! Please report it!
Recovering extra data at the same offset 0x38000.

Should I be worried or it worked as expected and I can ignore these messages?

I don’t have a spare GPU and this PC must stay operational at all costs, so if I flash this modded file, would it still boot?
Many thanks!

@DriVE654 you can ignore this message for the rx580

Hi everybody,
I successfully created the FW for an AMD HD6450 with GOP_Updater_v1.9.6.5.k_mod_v0.4.5, but when I try to flash it with ATIWinflash it says “Cannot erase ROM”,
if I try from command line with atiflash it says “Can not flash a 0x21 length image into a 0x10000 length rom!ROM not erased”.
The original firmware file size is 60k, while the one created with GOPUpd is 117k and I think it’s the real problem here.
Is there a way to shrink the FW to fit in the GPU BIOS?
Thanks

@imsoshy no you cant the physical rom is so small to write it again with the gop.

Thank you so much, all went well, programmed, rebooted and the card works well! :slight_smile:

Perhaps, yes.
Please attach unmodified ROM and the model of SPI-flash on your card, sometimes shown in atiflash.

Hi folks,

I’m from Germany so I’m sorry for my English.

I wanted to update the vBIOS of my ASUS GTS450. Creating the GOP-vBIOS was successfull.

Unfortunately the FW-chip is too small for the new vBIOS. The chip has a capacity of 64kb (512K), the new vBIOS doubled the size from 61kb to 120kb.

Is it possible to shrink the vBIOS to max. 63kB?

Thanks in advance!

edit:

Also my HD5450 has the same problem. vBIOS with GOP size nearly doubled.

No, you have to change the memory.
You can save a little space, if a different vga-bios is also working (can cause bricks) or integrate a different version of gop-image; gop-updater will always put the latest image after vga-bios. Also reducing ununsed space (always 0x200-sized blocks) in vga-bios sometimes is possible.
But this won’t solve your problem, older cards like yours have small chips and need a bigger one.

I had guessed. Thank you anyway.

If you - or s.o. else - needs a bigger eeprom, i can do the job, but only inside Germany.

Hello, my basic situation is this: I have a Zotac 2080 Blower that works perfectly fine once its booted, however recently the PC has been giving me one of two errors on my FIRST boot: the usual there is no vbios detected on this card…so switching to csm or no GOP(graphics output protocol… so switching to UEFI, my motherboard is a MSi B560m Pro-VDH-Wifi, updated bios to latest and still happens, PC has been on for days now 3D(games),video encode and decode, CUDA works fine OC/UC/PL changes above or below 100% still runs perfect, GPU-z has a reading for everything in all boxes (nothing says Uknown/0/NA) also i noticed gpu was running at gen 3 x4 then i plugged out and in again another day and it was x1 then i plugged in this last time which is few days ago and its now at its full x16 gen 3, slot n connector clean, bios lanes setting is fine, i assume this was because the card might have been slightly flexed in the slot, due to the case back port covering the display out ports slightly, anyways I’ve seen many people with this problem with way older cards and most fixed with modified vbios updates to add uefi support, gpuz has the uefi checkbox checked showing the gpu does have support, i pulled down gpu fully vram chips are micron, i looked at them when i tore gpu down, didnt notice anything atall look burnt or damaged on the card, the bios is the same as the one i got from TPU which was the same exact filesize, succesfully flashed,made no difference…

What I have been having to do recently is use iGPU (i5-11400) switch to csm(which isn’t supported by bios with igpu only dedicated gpu) then turn off pc before it boots then connect the 2080 and HOPE it boots first try, if it doesn’t it will go into a bootloop on the vga led or pass the boot led test but then doesn’t display anything, though the monitor comes on like its trying to get a signal but only a black screen, I can’t put the pc in sleep either or it will go into bootloop when trying to come out of sleep mode. I’ve tried with another motherboard Asrock H81m-hds, with a different power supply and this same one out my main PC and a hdmi instead of displayport which im using now and got no display on that motherboard, switch off, insert another gpu and boot and i get a display. card has always ran perfect everytime, never noticed any screen artifacts or weird glitching or crashes, only gpu problem is that it only boots basically once a day… main gpu temperature stays below 70 degrees full load. If i put another gpu in it boots immediately 0 problems, pc sleep,wakeup,reboot no problem. I notice it happens alot with MSi motherboard owners intel and ryzen but also ASUS i"ve seen and RTX 3070 also i think that was a MSi gpu having the problem with MSi motherboard, currently using a Displayport 1.2 Samsung C27GH70.The other monitor i tried on other PC was a AOC F22,using a dvi to hdmi adapter, which has 0 problem displaying with igpu or other Dgpu or ps4. I basically bare bones the card with no backplate,shroud etc to see if something was shorting, no difference(idle temps were fine and i used a standing fan at the gpu to keep it cool alongside the gpu fan)

I rather not have to pull down my PC to take out my 2080 for the 1000th time and put it back in again after using iGPU again so i’m leaving the PC on for the time…really hoping the GOP is just messed up and it can be fixed as GPU-z even says it recognizes the uefi module(though idk if thats a actual check on the card or it sees 2080 and assumes it should have a working one. Everyone I’ve seen with this problem who didnt have an old card that got fixes by updating vBios and actually getting UEFI support, didn’t find any solutions, this forum is really looking about my last hope.

First thing to get clear… never heard of mods used to “FIX” hardware problems, so im not sure who ever told you such no-sense or what you want to mod in it…no miracles here.
Issues with incompatibility hardware are solved by hardware/programming engineers after issues being reported to them by costumers, to the brand/oem product.

Lets resume… GPU card has GOP EFI support capability (NO CSM/AUTO) as its shows by GPU-Z UEFI status, same goes here for the B560…so thats fine.
GPU vbios is no more the original as you flashed one from TPU…supposedly correct and valid for the card…
Same GPU card behaves similar in another system, older one and with CSM support, with HDMI instead of DP…
The GPU was working “normal” before… disregarding past updates to motherboard bios and flashed vbios… rigth?

I see a possible hw issue in the card… and no surprises here, as we all get it, besides taking good care of it or you can try to update the GPU card GOP is any recent one available.
Im sorry to sound a bit negative, but users must understand that mods are not to fix issues, it may occasionally, if we get lucky fix it…
and users must not be surprised if a product done in an assembly line can have an issue with life span earlier, than an older/new brother product…
My opinion only, best of luck.

EDIT: After your answer, still my post is valid, even more now that you stated the card is used and not your purchase as brand new product, so this issue could be already noted by previous owner and was time to sell…
A final note… i do not recommend but you can try to flash a generic NVidia vbios or try to get a Zotac dump from a user, also recommend before this operation to get an SPI flasher to backup/flash/recover operations.
Your choice only and keep in mind that if this is indeed an hw issue on the card, this will not solve it.

I bought the card used, I ripped the vBios i got with the card before I flashed the only one available for the card from TPU, I compared the sizes by simply right click > properties and they were exactly the same in bytes, original owner could have probably did some flashing experiments and then flashed this bios they backed up or from TPU and messed up the GOP stuff during the process i’m guessing, card behaves exactly the same with the vBios from TPU as vBios that came with no difference, the GPU was working fine before yes I could put pc to sleep or reboot and get a display most times, but then the issue started happening and getting worse quickly and won’t post at all now unless it successfully posts the first try after a few hours-day of the card being out the PC. Before updating bios or vBios the issue started, updating both made no change.

Hello. Thank you for this wonderful tool! I ran it today on the vBIOS I pulled from my Sapphire R7 270X, and when I pass the romfile it created to my Windows VM everything boots perfectly using gpu-passthrough.

When I pass it to my Mac VM in the same manner, I can get farther than I could without it: I can get a bunch of framebuffer boot text to spit out. However at some point the screen goes black - I take it when it is time to do video-y things. I am wondering if this is because the vBIOS that is actually installed on the card is still legacy-only.

I am thinking I should try to flash the rom created by the tool provided here onto my 270X. However, one thing is giving me pause: the created file is a little bit smaller than the original (122k vs. 128k). I am pretty sure this is because the script deletes a bunch of filler data at the end of the bios so as to not risk going over 128k, which presumably happens in some cases.

My question is: is the fact that the new vBIOS is a bit smaller a huge red flag, or no big deal? I have never flashed a vBIOS before, let alone a modded one like this, so I just want to make sure I am not making a dumb mistake.

Interesting side note, I learned by skimming this thread that my vBIOS apparently already comes with an EFI image, but it is ‘turned off’ so-to-speak, and to get it to work you technically only need to change a couple of hex characters.

Thanks again!

Why does it comes with UEFI vbios off and why legacy card only…???, if the image its there…its there, wot does GPU-Z tell? If the card can boot on a UEFI only machine (Not Auto/CSM) then its active and the UEFI image is there to load the GOP driver…
Usually there is no problem in that mod flash, but no one here can assure that, ur choice only.
Without sharing here the vbios for analyse cant give any certain.

The hidden UEFI thing sounds strange to me too, but here is the post where this claim is made: win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-46.html#msg68353. My understanding is that it is present, but some data in the header says to overlook it. I am new to this sort of thing, sorry I can’t be more descriptive.

I can’t boot UEFI-only on my motherboard: I get an error message sometime around post where I am told that I must enable CSM to boot. I was able to boot a Windows 11 UEFI-only VM using GPU passthrough by passing QEMU the romfile created using the script in the OP.

Here is GPU-Z output from earlier: imgur.com/a/S448VpX

And here is the vBIOS currently installed on my card: techpowerup.com/vgabios/152468/sapphire-r9270x-2048-131209. I tried to upload the rom I extracted using amdvbflash, but was given a German error message.

One questions I have is: is the fact that the rom is smaller than the input rom something I should be concerned about? Like is this a bad thing or does it not necessarily matter?

PS sorry about the links, but users with fewer than 3 posts are not allowed to post links…

Here’s an Unverified vbios on TPU, but the user states on the comments: "…This VBIOS has been provided by Sapphire’s Customer Support to allow UEFI GOP operation."
Check Board, PN and all details, if forcing the flash you need AMD flash cmd line utility, the Windows version will not allow it.
Your call and risk only… a way to recover is using iGPU or 2nd GPU card and flash again the adapter # that you can check with the utility.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/159682/159682

After flashed and tested on a few 3d, video etc…, still you can use GOPupdater to the latest GOP.

Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the part numbers are slightly different :frowning:

113-1E2710U-048
113-1E27100-048

Is it conceivable that a flash would work nevertheless, given that everything else seems to match up?

Based on your comment it seems I might be confusing UEFI support with GOP? So first I need to find a UEFI compatible rom, and then I run the tool here to update the GOP? I assumed this tool somehow converted legacy images to hybrid ones.