Amd (Kaveri) AMI Uefi Bios Cpu Microcode update ?

Hello all,

I want to update my cpu microcode to the latest one but i dont know how to do.
My cpu and mobo is: AMD A10 7850k and Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H REV 3.0.
İ found the latest cpu microcode for my cpu in MC Extractor database: cpu00630F01_ver06003109_2018-02-27_16D608D9.bin
My cpu microcode is dated 2014.

so how can i update my bios with this latest cpu microcode ?

Download microcodes from here - https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/tree/master/AMD

Open BIOS in UEFITool, search GUID DE3E049C-A218-4891-8658-5FC0FA84C788 (AmdProcessorInitPeim), extract PE32 section “Body” and be sure when you insert back you insert back at the exact location and as replace body (You can do as-is too if you wanted, then put back as-is too, either way OK)
Open this file in hex program and find each microcode you want to replace by searching for the old version (Copy in MC Extractor’s AMD extracted folder), then copy/paste in new one in it’s place. Once done, reinsert via UEFITool and save image.

If you need this done for you I’ve already did the mod while writing this out, let me know I can upload file for you. I did not upload because you only asked for “how to” so I assumed maybe you wanted to do yourself to learn

A88XMD3H-Mod.png

1 Like

"Open this file in hex program and find each microcode you want to replace by searching for the old version"

sorry but im stuck in this section

how to find microcodes in hex program and how to replace ?

First drag your old BIOS onto MC Extractor, go into MC Extractors “Extracted” folder and then into the AMD Folder. There you will find all the old microcodes from the BIOS, you can delete all those and redo with your stock BIOS again if there are too many in there.
Each time you check a BIOS it’s microcodes are extracted into those folders so they can add up if you’ve never deleted. Anyway from there, open each old microcode you plan to replace with a hex editing program, and then open the PE32 body file in same hex editing program.
Then copy all on a microcode you plan to replace (Select all), go to the PE32 body file, and search (Find) and past in hex editing section the entire microcode you copied and click find. Then once you find it, open new microcode you want to replace it with and select all, copy, then go back to the PE32 file and paste in place of the old.
Do that for each microcode that needs updated, then save file when you are done and replace with UEFITool

Most hex editors have a good search, if the one you are using has “Find all” use that instead of find, it may go ahead and select the entire microcode for you instead of taking you to the beginning like a simple find might.
I use Hex Editor Neo and it does this, I am unsure about others, a good free one people often use is “HxD” Replacing is as simple as copy paste, but be sure your paste action starts at the exact place the old microcode starts and ends only at the end of the old.
The new/old microcodes are the exact same size in this instance so you should be able to see that happen easily (Check data before/after code before you paste and then after and make sure it’s same, if not undo and redo the paste)

Many thanks but i cant make the change i could not understand… can you do it for me please ?

my bios file is here i use f9 revision

https://www.sendspace.com/file/e0w7vi

Here is BIOS I already fixed the other day (F10a) while writing out info for you, if you do not want this version let me know I will redo with F9
http://www.filedropper.com/f2a88xm-d3hf10a-ucode-mod

If you must have F9, is the above link stock BIOS from Gigabyte, or modified?

Oh f10a is beta bios … i want to use stable biosses so i prefer f9 version :slight_smile: and that link contains my modified bios i inserted nvme module to it other day
it also gives some kind of error when you open it inside UefiTool this is started after i made the modification … well this is different story :slight_smile:

thanks again !

Beta means nothing, especially this late in the game. It is stable, that only means they gave up updating this board BIOS so that is last/best you get. Now, if it was F1-F3 beta shortly after board launch that would be different and understandable.

So your mod BIOS, have you already flashed this? If so, OK, if not then don’t flash due to “New” error you mention, that doesn’t sound good. I will look, and fix for you, but to be honest best BIOS to use is the one I already updated, and if you want I can put the NVME mod into there too.

*Edit, Yes, that error is BAD! Do not flash this F9 BIOS you linked above!

Oh no … i flashed that bios and im using it now :frowning: … and yes if you say so i can use f10a so you can integrate nvme module :slight_smile:

thanks so much

OK, you got lucky then! Next time never rush to flash when error shows up like that, I am surprised it didn’t brick the board.

Here is redone F9 for you, and F10a, you decide but yes as I suggested F10a would be my choice based on having latest fixes and improvements over F9. Try both, see which you like, if you can tell any difference etc.
Updated all microcodes, inserted NVME modules no errors, created from stock Gigabyte BIOS images just now.
http://www.filedropper.com/f2a88xm-d3hf9-f10a-ucode-nvme-mod

everything went smooth i updated my bios to F10A … but my windows animations are slower now … because Spectre protection is added to my system ! yay :smiley: … i just checked with InSpectre program and now there is spectre protection … this is because of microcode update … this animation is not problem for me… but we have a little problem … i flashed your bios through "@BIOS" gigabyte utility … and after flashing i wanted to check for same problem in uefitool … i saved my fresh bios to a folder then checked with uefi tool and result: parseIntelImage: invalid descriptor master base FFh

my system is fully working … i dont know maybe i should reflash same bios through bios not windows … as i said everything works fine … do you recommend anything ?

First, stop using @BIOS. Second, maybe that error was originally caused by save from @BIOS to begin with, not your NVME Mod insertion? I checked both files I sent you with UEIFTool 0.25.1 and UEFITool NE Alpha 51, no errors in either (But was in both with your mod BIOS)

You should always flash BIOS either from DOS using Gigabyte flash tool, or from within BIOS using Qflash w/ BIOS on USB (FAT32) (easiest and suggested method)

can i reflash the f10a bios modded by you through bios ?

EDIT:İ just realised now that i cant access to the bios options/menu when using your bioses there is just dark screen.
maybe i should turn back to stock bios :confused:

EDIT2:Problem also persists on stock bios … i can no longer access to the bios menu/settings … i dont know what should i do :confused:
and only option to flash/reflash bios is @BIOS program now.

maybe i need to clear cmos or change vga card option to the apu (currently using gtx 750 ti)

EDIT3:i found the problem and solved it … problem was when flashing through @BIOS i picked the setting “Clear CMOS” so everything turn back to default so my default graphic adapter changes to apu’s graphic processing unit.
i first flashed stock f9 through windows using @BIOS then closed computer then i connected vga cable to the apu’s graphic then i flashed your modded f10a bios through uefi bios then updated settings and now everything works fine.

and also there is no errors in UeflTOOL … thanks so much for your helpp !! :smiley:

Maybe "Fast Boot" is enabled. Yes, clear CMOS to get fail safe loaded, then enter the BIOS, load optimized defaults, but then set SATA settings how you want and disable fast boot.

And yes, no matter how you flash, after you reboot go to BIOS and load optimized defaults, then change any other settings you need before saving and exiting. Please stop using @BIOS to update or you will brick the board, it happens often even on stock BIOS.

Yes, I was meaning to flash from within BIOS using Qflash, I think hotkey is F8 inside BIOS, or go to the exit page and you should see entry for "Enter Qflash"

Glad you have it all sorted out now without any issues!!

can I please get this file as I have the same Motherboard as this dude?