AMD RX 5500M drivers for Windows 7 64-bit Pro

Against my better judgement, I got myself an MSI Bravo 17 laptop. Ryzen 7!

When I first went into UEFI, I found out that it has a CSM module! (I was very surprised at that)

Which prompted me to try install Win7 on it. The most up-to-date Win7 installation I could find had “only” USB3.0 drivers slipstreamed, which the laptop doesn’t have (!!) - I had to slipstream USB3.2 on it for it to work.

Most of the drivers I managed to get to work. Except for Intel WiFi and Intel bluetooth for which I don’t give a crap (I can buy myself an USB WiFi later) AND … the driver for the GPU.

I’ve tried for several days to no avail - the official drivers (tried like 12 of them) either search for the hardware infinitely (the older ones) or give me me an error 182 (unsupported hardware) or just BSOD (randomly either this or the error, with the same installer - July1 4 Adrenalin 2020).

If I try getting more info, it basically tells me to try the laptop seller - which in this case is MSI. On the MSI website however, it directs me to the AMD website’s default driver download.

Manual install doesn’t work - Windows doesn’t “find” the driver even with a specified folder, and if I try to install the .inf file manually (right click and install driver), it tells me that this driver package doesn’t support manual installation. Or something like that (but in Czech).

The AMD website offers me the default driver package for Win10 OR Win7. Always selecting Win7, of course.

I am not interested in any bullcrap application and bloatware, I just need the base driver and that is all. It’s a computer for working and coding. If you want to know why I got a gaming laptop then - CPU and RAM. 16 GB RAM is not enough for me. :slight_smile:

Is there anything for that? A hacked / modded driver perhaps?

Here are the hardware IDs. There are two of them, because there are two “video adapters” listed, the first one is currently using the Windows generic VGA driver:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1636&SUBSYS_12AC1462&REV_C6
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7340&SUBSYS_12AC1462&REV_C1

Some of the drivers contain mobile variants, the newest one I have doesn’t. If I add the driver ids to the .inf file, I still get the same error and the driver cannot be installed.

I’m semi-good at these things, but not in-depth good.

Haven’t got an AMD GPU for about 10 years.

I’m at my wit’s end.

PS: Please do not answer “Ynstal Wyndows 10”. Such posts will be ignored and I will block their author. I will rather install Linux Mint and have Win7 virtualized than to use Win10.

1 Like

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1636&SUBSYS_12AC1462&REV_C6 - seems to be the graphics unit in the Renoir APU
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7340&SUBSYS_12AC1462 - seems to be a GPU card based on the Navi 14 chip. [Radeon RX 5500/5500M/ Pro 5500M], by looks at your laptop it’s the 5500M variant.

For the APU stuff, I strongly recommend that you use canonkong’s AMD APU drivers for Win7 that he provides (not only graphics drivers, but also other chipset stuff like USB, ethernet/WLAN/BT, storage controllers, system devices). I strongly recommend that you check the contents. [Solution] Win 7/Win8.1 x64 Ryzen APU Video driver(Update 2020.07.13 Vulkan/OpenCL API support!). make sure you have the SHA256 signing patch installed and remember the following:"Before you use the new diriver, use DDU to uninstall the old one. This driver support win7, win8.1, WIN10_1507 systems.. Choose the non-stable version because it contains the hardware ID for the renoir variant in the .inf file.

Now I have that feeling that the APU driver had to be installed first before the driver for the 5500M, so try using this driver now for that card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/releas…-rad-win-20-7-1 (build equivalent to the one that it used in the APU driver).

tl;dr
1. uninstall the driver you have already installed with DDU
2. install the APU driver (there are also drivers for the intel BT/WIFI devices in the other folder, maybe these ones will handle that problem with 'em).
3. install the normal driver for the 5500M

1 Like

Hmm, Win-Raid seems to be unable to notify me via email for anything that isn’t a personal message, so I won’t get notified at all (since I am not visiting this website unless I have a reason…)

I have already tried Canonkong’s APU driver. It produced a white screen with a cursor - I could move the cursor around and I also managed to log into the PC (audio clues), but I still could see only the cursor. When a never version of the drivers was released, I tried again - this time the laptop outright died after several seconds in the “white screen” part after a reboot.

Also I did manage to install the GPU drivers from AMD by manually editing their driver package manifests and “hacking” the JSON that checked for specific driver IDs for Win7 by using a wildcard character, but that also fizzled in the end.

I really find it frustrating that the only thing I haven’t managed to get working is the one that is specifically mentioned on AMD’s website as being compatible with Win7.

@Templayer :

If there is something wrong with the Forum Software, you should better post your find into >this< Sub-Forum. Otherwise nobody among the Forum Team may recognize your post.