AMD Ryzen New CPU Support on Older Motherboards and AGESA Porting

Hello guys, I’ve been searching for something on this and only found scattered information, so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for it.

So, the basic idea here is to understand how to make older motherboards support new CPUs, such as B350/x370 and even B450/x470 series (despite announcement it will work, Renoir CPUs are not currently supported) and if anyone has done this successfully.

The two project boards I have her are Biostar TB350 BTC and MSI X470 Gaming Plus. I would like to get a Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G working on them.

From my understanding so far, the AMD Ryzen BIOS is packaged in Modules, so CPU support is not just a microcode update. Furthermore, UBU only updates microcodes for newer versions of existing CPU microcodes in the BIOS. These modules are packaged into what is called an AGESA, where it has submodules such as PMU for memory training on these new CPUs.

Therefore, is it possible to Port an AGESA version from a newer motherboard to an older motherboard? If so, what would be the steps? Can this be done with something like exporting GUID section and replacing it in another BIOS? I honestly could care less about losing support on older CPUs and I have SPI Programmer to recover BIOS if something fails.

Thanks!

I hope this is helpful to you.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-m…-correctly.html

I have seen this before, it’s old, not exactly what I’m looking for. Aside from that, the "AGESA" update mentioned is just a microcode update done by UBU, which I think almost everyone in this forum knows how to use it :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I think this topic would be really interesting. Someone can help? Also I am looking for this solution ideally without UBU, unless I do not trust UBU - it changes the Bios in a way me and the Intel ME System Tools do not understand.

UBU works fine, but it cannot replace all modules, just update microcode within existing ryzen modules on the board.

UBU never done it and still do not update AGESA.