AMI Bios - Which chip to reflash with FlashROM>_?

@Lost_N_Bios or anyone else that cares to comment…
I have been successful modding BIOS to add NVMe support to AsRock AM1H-ITX with 32MB UEFI Aptio IV Bios. However, I get the following error from Flashrom and am uncertain which chip to reflash the modded BIOS back to.

SFDP has autodetected a flash chip which is not natively supported by flashrom yet.
All standard operations (read, verify, erase and write) should work,
Multiple flash chip definitions match the detected chip(s): “SFDP-capable chip”, “W25Q32.V”
Please specify which chip definition to use with the -c option.

Link to the backed up Bios image files from both chips and corresponding modded files are linked below.
Shared Drive – Google Drive text**

Is this the correct label on the SPI, after remove the “white” version sticker label on top of it?
If latest of Flashrom doesnt correctly identify it, search other apps.
If Flashrom needs a -switch go read its documentation.

EDIT: I see… its the Flashrom own behaviour/id handling mechanism, that i cant answer for it.
Why wont try another app…

The top of the chip reads: W25Q32FVA1Q it is a PDIP-8 chip and the only one I see. The datasheet says: 3V 32M-BIT SERIAL FLASH MEMORY WITH DUAL/QUAD SPI & QPI. I think both the SFD capable and W25q32.V are both on the same chip. Since this board has Crashfee Bios backup, I’m guessing one is the actual bios and one a backup.
I was able to use the Flashrom -c option to specify which chip to backup. So I should be able to also select the chip to reflash. Which one is the question?

I’ve been pursuing the forum closely for other options, but no luck yet. AsRock Instant flash fails with security check and size error. AFUDOS failed erasing rom. (good thing for crashfree bios) and finally I have ordered a eprom programmer, but it’s on a slow boat from China. I welcome any suggestions for another method to flash the chip. On a side note — the backup images are 4 bites smaller than the downloaded file from AsRock website. The only difference I see in the files in UEFItool is the header info with AMI Atpio Bios

When i suggest another “app” was other SPI programmer interface applications…not Asrock utilities or AMI tools.
Since this is SOIC8 chip easy to remove and directly flashed on CH341.
The diff should be the Asrock protection.

02-06-2023
EDIT: Thank you for reporting back your success, enjoy it.

Solved…. 2 different ways.

After receiving my CH341a programmer, I first backup up the original UEFI Bios chip.

• Flashed Bios from DOS using Flashrom -p internal -w mod.rom -c W25Q32.V (Identifying the specific Bios chip) – this was successful.
  • Modded the backup of the original Bios with UEFITool and inserted the NVMe module.
  • Flashed a new chip with this modded file using the CH341a programmer. – This was successful and I am able to boot windows from a PCIe M.2 adapter.

An interesting fact I discovered during this process was that with MMTool I was only able to insert the NvmExpressDxe_small module, whereas when using UEFITool I was able to insert the full size NvmExpressDxe_5 module.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, guides, and support.

1 Like