AMI INTEL CPU Microcode Update Guide

You’d expect “what” from this forum??

Not “from this forum”. I specifically wrote: “on this forum”. There is a difference in meaning, but if it escapes you, it is nothing worth either of us getting upset over.

Anyway, it was wrong of me to expect anything, really. So, my bad.

So, I will be explicit:

1. This is about a bug on the microcode update process itself, and as typical as it gets for microcode update issues, rare as their are.

So, since it is a bug in the update process, all it takes is to overclock after the microcode update is installed into the processor to avoid it. For win-raid.com regulars, the easiest way of doing that would likely be to fire UBU up, replace whatever is in UEFI/BIOS with the updated microcode, flash the modded UEFI/BIOS, and reboot.

2. A future microcode update might have this bug fixed. There was at least one report of this problem made to Linux distros weeks ago, and Intel engineers already know about it. Microsoft might have asked Intel to look into it as well, if someone reported it properly to them.

3. Removing the microcode update from Windows (or Linux, for that matter) just means you prefer overclocking to operational correctness (and Spectre mitigation), which is a common enough choice around here.

But on Windows, this goes a lot further than just removing KB<whatever>, one actually removes the microcode update facility itself since otherwise one’s carefully “downgraded” microcode revision choice that was modded into the BIOS/UEFI might be overwritten by the operating system.

4. The win-raid.com regulars that go for “we like the latest” would have updated their BIOS/UEFI with the new microcode weeks ago, and never observed any problems in the first place, since the issue can’t show up when the microcode update is done by UEFI/BIOS.

I hope this is a bit more clear.

Hi Guys.

i need some help because i can’t figure out what i am doing wrong, because all does not seem to work. :frowning:
I have a Supermicro X11SPi-TF motherboard with a nice CPU Intel Xeon Gold 6146.
However i have here a very nice Intel Xeon Platinum 8136 that is not working currently on the motherboard because the CPU is NOT recognized sadly.
I found out with the MMtool you can add a CPU Microcode but i can’t seem to find out what microcode this CPU has because i can’t get it to work on my motherboard ( he he doh )
Online i found out this about the CPU : Stepping B1 , µCU 100013B , Family 6 , model 5 , Stepping 3 , Ext. Family 6 . Ext. Model 55 ( SR2YN is on the CPU itself )
How do i get this CPU working on my motherboard with the MMtool so i can just add a “cpu patch” to the bios file and flash it?

i Hope someone can help because i really want to test this beast of a cpu !

Thanks
Hijno

@hijno - Intel Xeon Platinum 8136 = 50654 Xeon Scalable H0) or maybe 50653 (It’s this!) / SR2YN (You need B1 microcode I read here - Google cache - https://computercpu.win/view/35228787430…z_core-ghz.html)

Yes, maybe all you need to do is find the microcode that works, ask the person who sold it to you to send you a copy of B1 or other microcodes he knows works (Or any BIOS he knows works, then you can extract)

More info here, looks like they are using 50653 microcode rev B1 towards the end (And in spoiler images, looks like the microcode you mentioned also works on some boards 1000113B)
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/890…56-core-system/

Seems like this B1 microcode, based on the BIOS image above, might be this >> 0x01000144 (Xeon Scalable B1)
100013B should be Xeon Scalable B1 too I see in Google on Intel board BIOS, here is several 50653 versions I extracted from Intel server boards (138 (aka 10013B), 140, 144)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…229466799637397

I would make 3 BIOS with each of these in it, so you can find out which works and which does not (if any)

Thanks a lot !

i will give them a try and i will let you know which one worked if any :slight_smile:

So i tried 1st : cpu50653_plat97_ver0100013B_2017-08-09_PRD_984E6F2D
and BINGO ! worked on the 1st try !

i can’t thank you enough with this, you saved me a lot of headache !

@hijno - you’re welcome, and thank you for the quick report back! Now, you’ll have to try 01000144 since it’s the latest version it would be best if it will work for you.

01000144 also worked !

But i have a feeling windows does not fully gets 100% out of the CPU, is there any .inf i can install to windows that you know of?

Nothing needs loaded into windows that I know of, why do you think it’s not getting full CPU power? What does CPU-z show, proper speeds at load?

Yes the speedloads are ok, all care 100% it goes to 2700Mhz, with some core loads it goes to 3500.
I actually reinstalled windows and now it is flying :slight_smile: Cinebench15 score of just under 3800 on 1 CPU.

@hijno - If you want full speed all the time you have to disable the speedstep, EIST, and C1-x stuff, I think you have to leave some/one of the C-states enabled for turbo to work (maybe C3)

i dont think it goes all cores to 3500Mhz but i will give it a shot.

I normally update my microcode with UBU tool but the BIOS I want to update won’t work since I updated to a 9900k. I tried manually updating the microcode in UBU Tool by selecting it but it won’t work.

Unfortunately, the steps to manually update it from this guide are beyond my ability to do.

Can someone help me update the ASUS Maximus X Formula 1101 BIOS to the 9900k 906EC microcode either by PMing me the steps so I can learn or if they rather, just do it for me? I’m forced to use the latest ASUS BIOS which is unstable with my overclock.

When I had an 8700k the 1101 BIOS was much more stable even with 8700k microcode updates.

The BIOS can be found here.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/…pDesk_Download/

@KedarWolf - this may help guide you along for some of that, FIT will need corrected too and that’s more involved than microcode update (Which is covered a little bit) - [GUIDE] Update CPU Microcode + Fix FIT Using UEFITool / Hex

What you are needing is not a simple modification, and may not be possible, since that is a much older BIOS (1101) than before 9900K was compatible (1704).
ME needs to be a certain version and it may not be possible for end users to put that ME into the old BIOS, what is your current ME on 1101?
BIOS setup module will need edited, as well as several other modules (like they do in the sky/kaby to coffee mods probably), in order to support that CPU on such an old BIOS.

You’re current issues/instability may be you need to get used to and stabilize your new CPU vs how the old BIOS acted with your old CPU that you new well.

If you simply want to try a microcode add in and see what I mean I can do that for you. Are you able to recover if 9900K non-bootable, do you have older CPU to drop in when 9900K does not work, that way you can flash back to other BIOS?
Or does your board have two BIOS and a switch to select BIOS? If you do have older CPU, what exact CPU so I can make sure to leave it’s microcode in there if I need to remove one to make room for the 9900K microcode.

I have USB Flashback and when the 1101 BIOS failed I just flashed back to 1704. I have the latest ME already, it doesn’t revert on this board to an older version even with flashing an older BIOS.

If i can get just a microcode add-in I am able to flash back at any time. Just need the BIOS to support the 9900k. The only thing not compatible is the microcode.

I’ll try using your guide but may need help. Let me at least attempt it first. :slight_smile:

I need your help. Not sure how to add the microcode I want. Couldn’t figure it out from [GUIDE] Update CPU Microcode + Fix FIT Using UEFITool / Hex :frowning:

Can you just add the cpu906EC_plat22_ver000000A2_2018-09-29_PRD_FCAF004B.bin microcode for me? It’s in the Intel Microcode 1151v2 folder in UBU Tool. I can recover for sure if there are any issues. :slight_smile:

i have 6950X who is latest?

@KedarWolf - vbios and setup module may not be compatible too, and possibly other modules as well, it’s not always simply microcodes. I’ll have the 1101 BIOS + 906EC microcode ready if you need it, that may work but I kind of doubt it but I suppose you never know
Which microcode do you not care to loose (or two if space needed) >> 506E1, 506E3, 506E8, 906EA, 906EB, 906E9

*Edit, posted this right when you replied above, please answer my question about loosing microcodes above and I’ll make you a BIOS

@panosxidis i7-6950X - 406F1 latest is - 0B00031 - https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/tree/master/Intel

I had an 8700k but only using the 9900k currently, so if we kept the 8700k and added the 9900k that would be fine. :slight_smile:

I can lose 506E8 or if for compatibility reasons, 906EB. need 906EC.