AMIBCP 5.02 stops working when offset voltage is changed

I was trying to add an offset voltage to the default setting because I got an es cpu which isn’t stable at default voltage.

The BIOS is for an MSI Z270 motherboard. I was able to open it with AMIBCP and found the string I wanted to change but when I click save, the whole AMIBCP program crashes without changing anything. I tried changing offset voltage, giving a fixed voltage or even not changing anything at all, the AMIBCP crashed every time when I try to save. I tried an asrock BIOS then everything turns out normal.

Seems to be a compatibility issue, are there any workaround for it? Thanks.

offset.PNG

@111alan - Please link exact BIOS I will check and see if I can find a solution for you

@Lost_N_BIOS
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO

here,thank you :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s due to NVRAM, and how MSI built this BIOS, as you can see by all the “Undefined” the version of AMIBCP we have access to is not very compatible. They probably used a more updated version than what’s usually used
I even tried blanking out the first NVRAM for a test save, planning to put back in post-edit, but same crash without NVRAM exported mid-process on the save, and second one at GUID 9221315B-30BB-46B5-813E-1B1BF4712BD3 when blanked removes setup layout from AMIBCP.

So, I think your only option to make changes here is via grub or BIOS edit to the “Setup” module GUID 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21 via hex/IFR. On this, I made change test of core voltage override to C8 and it saved/re-output properly.
That can only be tested to view if it’s applied or not on the board end though, since these variables are not used by AMIBCP.

bios creators doesnt use amibcp, it is useless for develpment and limited to only few action

Well I assume they use more updated AMI Tools, VeB probably is more what I was meaning, at least sometimes in some manner for AMI BIOS.
I know what you mean about AMIBCP, it’s very limited compared to the other AMI Tools we really don’t have updated versions of, such as the Visual eBIOS tool, would be great to have a working version of that for UEFI BIOS.

Actually I can’t understand anything in the extracted setup module’s hex table. Are there any guides about these module modding methods? I’m new to this area.

And could you please change the cpu core voltage to 1.35v (or offset +0.2v) and upload it here so I can see if it works or not?

Thanks for your guidance :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, you need to get IFR output of the PE32 section of the setup module, I’m not sure about guides on that maybe @Mov_AX_0xDEAD knows some links to IFR/Hex guides?
Here is Universal IFR Extractor 0.7 - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…456035161643100

I know you said this CPU is not stable with stock settings, but I’d like to know without a BIOS mod, can you manually adjust these settings we’re discussing from your BIOS or not?

Show me in AMIBCP which exact setting you want, on the “offset” I don’t think that can be applied and saved into a BIOS.
This is saved in 16bit variable, not sure how to create value for 0.2 BIOS text says -500 through 500 mv, does your BIOS allow you to set 0.2, or do you direct input 200, or is there increments pre-set

Since this is easy stuff, and should be visible to you in BIOS now (If not, we can fix that), why not just set it manually and be done with this? No need for a modified BIOS for changes like this
I’m not familiar with MSI BIOS terminology, but it looks odd to me, why is there no entry there for directly setting a vcore value?

Here, thanks for the extractor, I’ll try it :stuck_out_tongue:

Without BIOS mod I can adjust the voltage, but there is a high chance that, before I could set the voltage, the system may just freeze up in bios. It’s especially painful whenever I try to reset cmos setting. I have several MBs running with this cpu so it multiplies the problem.

No, in bios i just input 0.2v, but in amibcp it’s in mv.

You’re welcome! @111alan - I see what you mean about possible startup issues, I didn’t think of that until you mentioned. So I think you’d want to set/try core voltage override to C8 then correct (This is 200)

Yes, i forgot to click upload :X

Change the fixed 1350mv voltage, or set an offset +200mv, both is ok.

Thank you.

volt.PNG

Core voltage override setting value is fixed vcore (-500-500mv)? Or, does that only apply if the setting above is set to “override” also? So I’ll need to make two edits correct?

In the BIOS setting menu, the override voltage string will appear only when core voltage mode was selected to override mode.

The override voltage’s range is 0-2000mv, the offset voltage(adaptive mode)'s range is -500mv to +500mv.

I think it’s safer to also set the voltage mode to override mode. Not sure whether it will work or not if only the override voltage is given, but the mode is still set to adaptive.

I’m not in the BIOS, so that is why I need to be sure what to set If I need to set one thing to make other enabled, I needed to know for sure.
Thanks for confirming the ranges there, I knew one was larger than the other

So I need to set, in pairs, one of these
Core Voltage Mode = Override
Then Core Voltage Override = value (0-2000) 546 = 1350

Or
Core Voltage Mode = Adaptive (Default)
Core Voltage Offset = value (-500-500) >> C8 =200

Correct?

*Edit @111alan - OK, here is two BIOS to test, please test the Adaptive one first, I am unsure if I have value set properly in the override one (But you can test, check voltage as soon as possible if it’s booting, we may need to lower! or value may just be null/incorrect)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…587575566562015

That is correct :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you, I’ll try them a little later.

Did you see my edit above? Let me know how it goes, thanks!

I tried the 2, but both still have the default voltage.:frowning: Are there any other approaches?

I was worried that might happen, this either due to me choosing incorrect values, or this stored in NVRAM instead of where I was editing. Please download this package, run the commands on the top for 32/64 only, before “After edit, to write back” don’t run those.
Do the commands for each version included, both 32 and 64, then if any NVRAM.txt files appear please leave them in their location so you know which version gives you which output so we can write back later.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…368904574975081

Upload copies for me to check of all NVRAM.txt (you can look too of course)

Sorry we got rid of those things before I have time for further investigation… Thanks for your help anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

@111alan - not sure what you mean, what happened?