Another legacy boot supported NVMe SSD?

The NVMe SSD usually cannot installed as boot disk with legacy BIOS except Samsung 950 pro which implant a legacy bootable rom. But now I may find another NVMe SSD can boot with MBR formatted.

Recently I Bought a JD.com (a chinese online retail company sort of like Amazon) made NVMe SSD for my Asrock B85 pro4 with newest bios 2.50. I managed attached it to a PCIe slot and try to convert the old MBR windows 7 system disk to the new GPT formated SSD and boot on UEFI mode, with no success. But I released the mobo did recognise my NVMe as a SATA disk, so I just cloned the disk to NVMe, and boot the NVMe SSD on legacy mode. It worked!

I post a clip on youtube, you gays may review it and see if it a real bootable NVMe SSD? If it is, the old mobo may have a chance to have a faster disk.

I find the “Hardware Id” is

@lefthand
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your interesting contribution!
According to your report your in-use RoHS NVMe SSD may be an alternative to Samsung’s 950 Pro SSD, whose NVMe Controller chip contains an NVMe Option ROM and allows booting in Legacy mode (using the MBR instead of the GPT partition scheme).
It would be fine, if you add the manufacturer and the model of your NVMe SSD and its Controller to the start post. Most important are the HardwareIDs of the SSD’s NVMe Controller. You will get them by expanding the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager, doing a right click onto the listed NVMe Controller and choosing the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.
Since your report has much more to do with the chipset of your mainboard than with the in-use Windows OS version and may be suitable for all users, who are not able to boot off an NVMe SSD in UEFI mode, I have moved this thread into the Forum section “NVMe Support for old Systems” and hope, that it is ok for you.
Enjoy the Forum and the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update:
@lefthand
Thanks for having added the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller. Its manufacturer is Shenzhen Longsys Electronics Co.

1 Like

Hi,
How would I buy this NVMe SSD drive as I am in the UK?
Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, you may check https://global.jd.com , see if they can delivery it to UK.