[ARCHIVE] Outdated UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

@centaurium You have to put the files in the directories of UBU

MCUpdate.txt

#LGA2066
typo 50651 2066/ ?
should it be 50651 2066<br />
Thanks !

@biozzz :
Since you had posted into the wrong UBU thread, which is reserved for the Guide and SoniX’s announcements of UBU Updates, I have moved it into this better matching UBU Discussion thread.
Due to the movement your contribution is not listed anymore within the “Last Forum Activities” box on the Portal site. I am sorry about this Software issue.

@SoniX :
Please have a look into the last post written by our Forum member biozzz. It is just above this post.

https://ufile.io/70hiy

Here , i got an new version from msi with microcode update 25 for Haswell.
@sonix
What did you do to fix the bios last time so i could modify it with ubu and use fpt to flash ?
I got a fixed bios from you.

Two more spectre bugs found, July 11, 2018 named 1.1 and 1.2 other than the lately patched Spectre New Generation bugs!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/se…laws-disclosed/

Variant — Description — CVE — Codename — Affected CPUs

Variant 1 — Bounds check bypass — CVE-2017-5753 — Spectre v1 — Intel, AMD, ARM
Variant 1.1 — Bounds check bypass on stores —CVE-2018-3693 — Spectre 1.1 — Intel, AMD, ARM
Variant 1.2 — Read-only protection bypass —CVE unknown — Spectre 1.2 — Intel, AMD, ARM

Variant 2 — Branch target injection — CVE-2017-5715 — Spectre v2 I—ntel, AMD, ARM
Variant 3 — Rogue data cache load — CVE-2017-5754 — Meltdown — Intel, ARM
Variant 3a — Rogue system register read — CVE-2018-3640 — (Code Name Not Present) — Intel, AMD, ARM, IBM
Variant 4 — Speculative store bypass — CVE-2018-3639 — SpectreNG — Intel, AMD, ARM, IBM

*** = New found ones!

Here we go again…

It’s just the tip of the iceberg. Look here if you can read german or search vor V5 (ret2spec/spectreRSB). There are also rumours about new variants uncovered soonest next month, depends on how far countermeasures/patches are ready than.

I wonder if the chip giants will still adress them, since it seems they were already not capable to fix the first two within a decent time. Was a real mess already.

With last version (1.70 RC1) there are no more errors when upgrading cpu microcodes on Z77 boards. I’m tempted to try.

@vander

I have translated the link with Chrome browser. Thank you very much for the link.

https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/CP…kt-4119197.html

"CPU gaps ret2spec and SpecterRSB discovered" it says. (As of 24.07.2018) So those are the newest troubles…

@SoniX

I have found a bug I think, when updating ethernet controller on Asus “Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-4901.cap” file with UBU_v1.70.rc1-fixed

Started displaying:
Network
[Current Version]
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI - 5.5.23
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.3.72

[Available Version]
EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI - 0.0.19
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI - 8.3.10
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.13
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.86

After the update process it becomes:
EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI - 0.0.19
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.13

First bug is,
it has chosen CL for GE!

Second bug is, it said,
For compatibility of the DEVID,
it is possible to install up to versions 6.6.04 and/or 1.5.62 → but integrated 0.0.19 and CL - 0.1.13

At UBU_v1.69.17.4 for example, it was integrating:

EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI - 5.5.23 → 6.6.04 correct! → Now, 0.0.19 not correct!
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.3.72 → GE - 1.5.86 correct! → Now, CL - 0.1.13 not correct! (GE → CL also false!)

@karakarga
In the full UEFI mode, show that in the BIOS settings, you do not have tabs NIC 82579.
And in the CSM mode, BootAgent does not work.

@SoniX

So I have to use UBU_v1.69.17.4 for updating Asus Rampage-IV-Extreme network adapter bios, right?

@karakarga
After upgrading to new versions of EFI Gigabit and BootAgent CL 0.x.xx, what does not work for you?

@SoniX

I did not test with new ones, as I said earlier, they seemed like a bug to me, version numbers dropped. Are those ones safe to use then?

Reasons:
- For compatibility of the DEVID,
it is possible to install up to versions 6.6.04 and/or 1.5.62
- GE → CL mismatch

@karakarga
[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions (278)

Hi,

Does anybody know if can be added more voices to the setup guid 899407d7-99fe-43d8-9a21-79ec328cac21 ?

What I mean is this:

I’ve successfully added Coffee Lake support (with HT enabled) to a MSI laptop bios which supports only quad core CPUs.
Now, the 8700k cpu is properly detected by bios and OS, but under CPU Configuration I can manage only 4 cores (like a quad core cpu)
instead of 6.

Extracting the guid 899407d7-99fe-43d8-9a21-79ec328cac21 and viewing also with AmiBCP it has indeed only strings for 4 cores and
I can’t add more strings in any way.

I’ve tried, with Universal IFR Extractor, to find the hex values for the turbo options for 4 cores and I’ve manually added new hex values
for the other 4 cores (in order to have support for an octacore CPU) but when I try to reinsert module with UefiTool or MMTool and open
bios again with AmiBCP it says that ROM has incorrect setup tables and it seems to be messed up, so I ended saying that the Setup GUID
899407d7-99fe-43d8-9a21-79ec328cac21 can’t be extended with new options, but only mod the existing ones.

I think the only way is to obtain the setup guid from a similar motherboard having native 8 core support, but if someone has or can share
some tips it will be very appreciated.

@SoniX

Ok, I have read page 278, fine then. Thank you very much for replying me…

I don’t know if it is a concern, but - as with all 1.70 versions before - only Ivy Bridge microcode will show up in MMTool’s 4.50.0.23 “CPU Patch” tab (this MMTool version only used for checking the result - not for the modding procedure!) if I use rc1 to update all microcodes included in my (Gigabyte Z77) AMI Aptio 4 BIOS - no matter which of the four update methods is applied (the last two stall anyway). If I check the same mod in MMTool 5.0.0.7 all updated microcodes will show up though.
By modifying v1.69.17.4 (Sel1155.bat) I was able to update both Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge microcodes to the latest versions (20/2E) - and they both show up in MMTool 4.50.0.23.
I consider compliance with MMTool 4.50.0.23 as a “quality gate” for AMI Aptio 4 BIOSes. That’s way I’ve preferred to (successfully) flash the BIOS modded by using “enhanced” v1.69.17.4.

@Sular76 - maybe this is the guide you need - [GUIDE] Fixing HT for Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (Z170, Z270)

@Lost_N_BIOS

What I mean is under Power Configuration (AmiBCP) where I can set only 4 cores (like a quad core) instead of 8.