ASUS AM1I-A / Athlon 5350 Kabini / Samsung 850 / Win XP AHCI setup

fernando - that did the trick. win xp is now successfully installed with the amd ahci controller. it seems quite happy, thanks!

@ kimyo:

Thank for your feedback!
I am glad, that you succeeded at least.

result!

here is the rcxpahci ahci and raid drivers for AMD-RAID 6.1 software 6.1.3-00035(from gigabyte AMD FM2+/FM2 series utilities drivers disk) →

ive checked the BootDrv folder on the gigabyte disc, the only other xp driver is for the A85 and the driver for that is Microsoft Windows miniport driver 3.3.1540.33 ahci86.

E.

Note: Only the driver files themselves (that means the .SYS, .INF, .CAT and .OEM files) should be integrated into a Windows XP CD. Since the setup.exe and the autorun files do not belong to the driver, nLite didn’t integrate them.

What does that mean? Do you have the AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 for Windows XP x64?

the setup exe and autorun files for windows itself, not the driver fernando. i always check at the nlite burn window stage before i burn or create iso.
its caught me out a few times

to be honest fernando, i dont know if i have it or not. i am going to go digging into amds driver packages and nosey online to see what i find then use the brute force method(ive done it before) and smack every ahci driver i can into xp x64 with nlite and see what happens.
if not, back to amd ide drivers for x64

When you have already successfully integrated the AMD AHCI driver as textmode driver by using nLite, why do you try to additionally integrate the installer of the MakeDisk software and the autorun files?
That doesn’t make any sense. You can try to integrate or manually add all these files, but the OS neither needs nor will use them.

xp’s setup exe and autorun inf, not the make disk,

E

Thanks for the clarification, but what was the reason for your tip to pay attention regarding the presence of these files?
The tool nLite will never touch them, because they are absolutely required for the XP installation and part of the original OS image.

its possibly a bug in nlite1493(direct from nlite), sometimes, when processing nlite will delete the setup.exe and autorun inf from the xpcd folder(always from an untouched iso), ‘c:xpcd’ i created so it creates a cd or iso that will not boot. luckily i use cd rewritable discs. when i use nlite now, when i get to the burn/create iso stage, i pause, check the xpcd folder to see if those 2 files are still there and manually copy from a mounted xp iso to xpcd folder if needed then create iso or direct burn
still, nlite is free and you cannot really complain about something free. now i know this problem is there, it is no hassle to check for those files and replace them if i have to.

E.

again, thanks. i just made a donation, hopefully enough to pay for a decent bottle of wine, or whatever you fancy.

your help was invaluable. running xp on modern hardware is really quite fine.

Thank you very much for your donation.
I am glad, that I was able to help you.

Kind regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Waow… That’s one way to unburry a topic no… ?

Hi Fernando. I’m a newcomer on this forum and I’m encountering the same problem that Kimyo encountered in this thread (see post n° 9)
I was forced to install Win XP using IDE mode because AHCI was giving me BSOD (not during winXP installation but on the first boot just after it)
Today, I’m trying to modify the driver in WinXP device manager

My drive controller is listed like this :
1 primary ide channel 4&2D77B6DB&0&0
2 secondary ide channel 4&2D77B6DB&0&1
3 standard dual channel pci ide controller: pci/ven_1022&DEV_7800&SUBSYS_86231043&REV_40\3&1158a3659&0&88
So I tried to change the driver of item n°3 using the manual method, I select the rcxpahci.inf (package version 6.1.3.35) but no success : I’ve got a dialog box telling me that the specified location doesn’t contain any information about my hardware. I only can press the OK button and I’m sent back at the dialog box telling me to choose from which disk to install the driver.
What can I do as I would like to avoid re-installing XP ?
Thanks for your help.

@Sweep:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which AMD AHCI driver did you load/insert?
I suspect, that you had chosen a wrong AMD AHCI driver resp. a driver, which doesn’t work with Windows XP.
Instead of trying to switch from IDE to AHCI mode from within a running OS I recommend to do a fresh install of Windows XP in AHCI mode by integrating the AMD AHCI driver, which I had attached to >this< post.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Ok I’m trying again. Did a fresh NLite package including your modified driver and used WintoFlash to create the boot USB Key.
Rebooted the comp, activated AHCI in Bios and booted on the usb key. XP is installing now (copying the files from USB key - it’s slow btw)
Keeping my fingered crossed hoping everything will be good at first rebbot

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

And Success ! Thanks to your modified package who did the job !

Hello everybody!

After struggling with this AHCI over several months now, i found a very simple solution for everybody who doesn’t want to reinstall XP with F6 / slipstream:

and don’t want to waste around 5 hours of installing, waiting, configuring, testing, compiling and everything wasting-time by reinstalling:

I have the same hardware ASUS AM1I-A / Athlon 5350 Kabini, no SSD though… WDC20EURS HDD. What you need is devcon from www.microsoft.com and the official AMD SATA AHCI package (either on the disk, or in support.asus.com).

1. Unpack both in one folder (for fast and convenient operation)
2. Open command prompt cmd
3. Write:

devcon install rcxpahci.inf "PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106"

do not forget the quotes, otherwise you’ll get in trouble (cmd treats "&" as command separator!)
4. In setupapi.log in your WINDOWS folder you can find the following (at the very bottom):
[2017/01/27 21:52:05 3292.198]
#-199 Executing "C:\Install\t00lsoft\devcon\devcon\i386\devcon.exe" with command line: devcon.exe install rcxpahci.inf "PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106"
#I060 Set selected driver.
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_1022&dev_7804&cc_0106
#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106" in c:\install\t00lsoft\devcon\devcon\i386\rcxpahci.inf; Device: "XP-AHCI Controller [scsiport]"; Driver: "XP-AHCI Controller [scsiport]"; Provider: "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."; Mfg: "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."; Section name: "rcxpahci_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [rcxpahci_Inst]. Rank: 0x00000000. Effective driver date: 01/08/2014.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [rcxpahci_Inst] in "c:\install\t00lsoft\devcon\devcon\i386\rcxpahci.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "ROOT\SCSIADAPTER\0004".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [rcxpahci_Inst.Interfaces] from "c:\install\t00lsoft\devcon\devcon\i386\rcxpahci.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "ROOT\SCSIADAPTER\0004".
#I163 Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a: CM_PROB_FAILED_START.
#I121 Device install of "ROOT\SCSIADAPTER\0004" finished successfully.

5. Reboot & change to AHCI.

Devcon will execute the contents of the rcxpahchi.inf and you’ll get in your device manager with a "non-working" SCSI controller.

That’s obvious, because you’re still in IDE mode.

However, the driver is installed in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, and according to all the spam in MSDN it is in the loading boot sequence of different drivers. So when you restart your HDD will be detected properly (no 7B stop) and you’ll login in (long live) Windows XP. I even think that it even doesn’t matter what you write in the <hwids> section, because anyway devcon enumerates it in ROOT\SCSI\000x, but I haven’t done a complex investigation It does matter, because if the "plugged" device (via software by devcon) doesn’t match some of the HWIDs in the inf file it will fail to install (Section #I022 Found "PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106" in c:\install will report No matching HWIDs). After restart you can open device manager and delete the extra "XP-AHCI Controller [scsiport]" with yellow mark, because your HDD is enumerated and everything’s fine.

You can even swap anytime between IDE and AHCI without hassle, because it doesn’t replace the IDE/ATAPI controllers class driver with it’s own [unlike some intel drivers] which sometime create trouble.

Keep in mind: If you have something removable attached in the USB [like I have a cardreader] when you switch the operation mode [AHCI/IDE] you should rearrange HDD BBS priority (boot priorities), because your HDD might end in the bottom, resulting in tripple fail and popping in BIOS and you might think that everythings f***ed-up, but it’s a matter of little flaws.

This procedure might be useful for other driver packages, unfortunately I do not have that much hardware to experiment and report results.
UPDATE: have done couple of installations this way with JMicron JMB363, ASMedia ASM1061 and Intel’s iaAHCI.
Technically, it’s crazy to do a preinstall with slipstreamed drivers (just to install the drivers), because whatever it is doing the NTSetup during the GUI install phase with the devices it is doing it after regular late installation of drivers (like plugged USBs and so). If you want proof, you can see your SETUPAPI.LOGs (because they’re limited around 1MBs in XP) to see even what setupapi.dll has been doing when you installed the OS. Preinstallation with slipstreamed drivers it’s like reinstalling windows with your intended-to-use USB flash drive plugged in to be detected during hardware installation phase of GUI Setup part… It even bothers me why manufacturers recommend this… If you obtain a latest package for ASMedia ASM1061 driver (like in ASRocK support center) you can even see that this company has prepared a ASM106xV1410WHQL\Driver\XpS2k3\x86\PREPARE\asahxp_PRE.inf file to install their drivers in IDE mode. It’s with a [DefaultInstall] and [DefaultUninstall] sections (right-clickable), which add necessary data to the registry (HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase</i> and HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase</i>) for which some people say (and do) a FULL 5 HOUR PREINSTALLATION… Well I’d rather go out drink a beer and enjoy life instead of clicking, typing and waiting for progress bars to fill up…

Enjoy, and do not preinstall – XP is far stable on it’s own! Take good care for it and it might outlive you.

P.S. I have some pictures for the procedure, but i’m lazy enough now to deal with them. If there is an interest, I’ll struggle to upload them. Done.

<3 for all.

I really don’t want to necropost, but this is probably the single topic about this board and Windows XP on the whole web. At least it seems like it.

Hello, I have a serious problem with this exact board and CPU combo. I am trying to set up the Windows XP because I want to make a tiny Windows XP gaming station. But, no matter what I do, I cannot install XP. Doesn’t matter what I change in the BIOS, everytime it crashes with 0x7b error. I have tried to provide the installer the original AHCI driver from motherboard manufacturer website, the modified from here, BSODes every single time. I am not even trying to install the system on SSD but on 1TB WD Blue. CSM set all to legacy, Secure Boot is disabled, tried both AHCI and IDE mode for SATA, tried slowing the speed of SATA. Is there some sort of a trick or something like that?
Thank you for any help, this is driving me crazy.

@krivulak Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
The 0x7b BSOD indicates, that you have loaded or integrated a wrong (not matching) textmode driver.
A detailed guide about how to integrate an AMD AHCI or RAID driver can be found >here<.

Important for a proper XP installation:

1. The source OS image has to be the untouched original one (not a pre-modded variant!).
  2. The user should know the HardwareIDs of the related on-board SATA Controller.
  3. The chosen driver should support it (same HardwareIDs should be listed within the *.INF file).
  4. Only one (the matching) textmode driver should be loaded or integrated.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

the files i used in this case are rcxpahci.*
they’re dated 1/9/2014 or 2/3/2014.

i remember having similar problems, but i don’t recall the exact solution.

believe it or not, that system is still happily running wxp.

pm me if those files will help.

Hello,

thank you for the welcome, much appreciated.
I have actually sourced the problem already. The 0x7b in this case does not actually mean a problem with a AHCI driver. The problem was using USB 3.0 DVD drive. Windows XP does not contain necessary drivers so the installation crashed right after when all the drivers were loaded and Windows Installer tried to start - the inaccessible boot device was actually the DVD drive, not the HDD. It took over 10 hours for me to recognise I was looking at the problem from the wrong end.
Simple reconnecting of the DVD drive to USB 2.0 have solved the problem.
Thank you very much for your response and once again sorry for necroposting :slight_smile: