Asus G20CB Bios Unlock Overclocking Features

@Lost_N_BIOS Many thx.There are more options shown under CPU configration page now. Tried to change the 1-core/2-core/3-core/4-core limit ratio override to 44 .

However it still cannot lock it at 44x mutilpler … Not too sure if you have any expereience that may need to adjust more options to get overclock workings

200705095917.jpg

200705095928.jpg

200705095933.jpg

@jacky400 - Please put images in zip, thanks
What multiplier do you get when you set 44? Did you test with “Overclocking lock” enabled/disabled?
Did you set x44 at Overclock >> Core Max OC Ratio

You should be able to at least set the max turbo multi for the CPU (42 or 40), can you run 4Ghz without issue?
Your CPU can only run, bu default 42 on one core, so using the settings you mention if limited to 42, you can only set 42, 41, 40, 40 etc (all things after first 42, must be less)

I found this article
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/overcl…sets,30962.html

Seems like this is known thing, you need Z chipset for CPU multi OC
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729839-6700k-on-a-h170/
https://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/blog…170-difference/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/co…76700k_with_my/

@Lost_N_BIOS Even set multipler 44 (or 42 for all core), it still run as 40 in windows . Probably nothing can do because of the H170 chipset limitation .

Last resort would be upgrade to 7700k which runs at 44 multipler for all cores . Is it possible to add microcode for it ? (I remember no pin connect/isolate is required if use Kale Labe CPU on Skylake motherboard , correct me if i’m wrong )

As mentioned, 40 or 42 may be max you can set, turbo would need to be enabled and C3E needs to be enabled too.
Please put images in zip, so I can check and see if anything missing I meant to be visible to you.
I have never had any luck updating a BIOS from Sky >> Kaby, but we can try if you want. Microcode and vBIOS/GOP need edited, and possibly ME FW too, not sure.
Ideally you would only do this with programmer in hand, especially if we need to mess with ME FW

@chinobino - can you confirm what all is needed to do Kaby on Sky board? Thanks

Better option in my opinion for you to do is to purchase another mATX “Z170/Z270” board to put in there instead, one that is compatible with CPU you have, then you can overclock to whatever you want.
I assume it’s mATX board, but check first of course

@Lost_N_BIOS Let me set 42 for 1-core/2-core/3-core/4-core ration limit override and Core Max OC Ratio . What is the turbo option you mean ? and i don’t have the C3E option under CPU C-state yet.

(if i can get 42 multipler work , it should be enough for me and I can forget about upgrade to 7700k :slight_smile:

Here is the zip

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQJZdTG…iew?usp=sharing

@jacky400 - You can set whatever at those turbo options, but how I mentioned to do it is the only way it works/gets applied
You should see similar help info when you hover or select each one, it will tell you the 2core option must be equal or less to the 1 core option, 3rd core option must be = or less than 2nd core option, and so on.
But, the way your CPU works is single core under load only gets 42, all other cores can only do 40, I think.
Unless @chinobino - can some kind of all core turbo be applied here? I made visible Overclocking Lock (ie MSR 0x194), default disabled. Should that be enabled?

Turbo would be the main Turbo option >> Turbo mode. Show me what all you see under C-States when you have C-State enabled, or is nothing there?
Ohh, I see in images now, thanks. There is no individual C-State control here, so you will have to test with it enabled/disabled and see which works best for you.
I can see in your images, there is some things I meant to be visible to you still missing, so follow up BIOS edit will be coming your way tonight

Skylake only BIOS, very difficult to fix all issues - remember this thread => Patching ASUS G20CB Bios to support 7th gen I7
All BIOS links are down and I never downloaded them so you would have to contact either reactive or shixinyuan

H170 + 6700K = 4GHz all core max.

@chinobino - Ohh yes, I remember that now! I have those BIOS, at least I think, and some had some issues on some systems too. So yes, not ideal!
Thanks!

@jacky400 - Here, please let me know if you now see the stuff you circled in AMIBCP under C States, and if you now see AES setting too - thanks
I think 4Ghz is your max option here, sorry If you want higher with that CPU, you’ll have to get a Z170/Z270 ITX or mATX board, or full size board if it will fit in there.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…953577133512793

@Lost_N_BIOS yep i can see all those C states along with AES .

Many thanks for your help in this long mod bios journey .

@jacky400 - Thanks, and sorry we couldn’t get you 4.2 4Ghz should be plenty though, if not, check out some used Z170/Z270 that will fit in your case
And, be sure to get normal mainstream board, not OEM etc.

Nevermind . One thing i can try to use 2400 ram with XMP profile but i have to buy it first as i’m using 2133 only

If you have 2133 now, you may be able to run it at 2400 if you loosen up timings (set all manually)

@ Lost_N_BIOS Humm 2400 would be help but i did’t see any timings setting in overclocking menu. Any idea?

@jacky400 - It’s there @ Advanced >> Overclocking Performance >> Memory >> >> DIMM profile (Set Custom, or XMP)
+ Memory Reference Clock (100 or 133 x Below Ratio = Memory speed)
+ Memory Ratio
+ QCLK Odd Ratio

Ohh, sorry, you said timing! Derp!!
You are correct, only timings in this BIOS are hidden in debug menu. So you will have to try Auto Timings with both custom and XMP and hope they are loose enough to run 2400, they may be OK
Or, I can make you BIOS with certain timings set if you want?
Or, you can use SPDtool tool or Taiphoon burner make custom SPD/XMP and flash it to your memory sticks

@ Lost_N_BIOS . it would be nice if can make the BIOS to adjust timing .

@jacky400 -It can only be directly changed in a BIOS Mod, I can’t make the settings visible to you.
If you want me to make you a test BIOS to try 2400 with custom or XMP (you set those), I will make one with set timings and then you adjust rest. If you want to try that, what timings do you want set?
Please show me image of CPU-z SPD tab, with one of the memory sticks selected (mentioned this, in case it’s blank, you may need to select memory slot)
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html << you can use “Setup” which is installer, or zip where you just run it from folder and it’s not installed. And of course, you can pick a branded version there in the middle too if you want

@Lost_N_BIOS I have 2 8G DDR4-2133 in slot 1 and 2. Attached the screenshot and looks like no XMP profile.

I wonder if it is possible to change Memory Ratio from 8 to 9 (133 x9 which is 2400 speed) , but not too sure if current timing works and may not be able to boot up the system .

1.jpg

2.jpg

@jacky400 - CPU-z doesn’t show the XMP profiles there, if present, because there is too many SPD profiles. There may not be any XMP profile, but lets check to be sure. What brand is this, actual Hynix or other brand name
Can you please run HWINFO64, close the CPU-z like window, and on the big window, hit report icon, then HTML or txt is fine, and then uncheck all boxes, and recheck memory only, that way it’s just memory report.
Then send to me - DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE

Also, staying at 2133 with tighter timings may = better anyway, you’d have to test both ways to confirm.
What is current speed/timing shown in CPU Memory Tab? Yes, you could try 133x9 or 100x12, I would think at 15-15-15 or 16-15-15 it should be OK at 2400, but yes, maybe could fail.
Since this is desktop board though, if that happens it should attempt a few times, then fail OC and load fail safe defaults, if not you can easily clear CMOS

@Lost_N_BIOS . Friend gave to me, Asus H170-P / G20CB / DP_MB Rev 1.02 .I have a small problem - Bios chip is damaged (no backup file off chip).
I have a programmer ,other chip , CAP file from asus website ,stikers on MB and case. Can You help me please.