asus P5Q SE - change to AHCI in XP

Hi folks,

I’m getting crazy, meanwile …

Changingfrom IDE to AHCI-mode (running system) is quite easy with Win7.
But my 2nd installed XP seems to be resistant against every driver including Fernand’s mod’s.

Installed drivers is
ICH 10 family 2 port SATA … Controller 2 … 3A26
ICH 10 family 4 port SATA … Controller 1 … 3A20

by updating the driver controller 1 installing is successfull (ICH 10R/ICH 10 mod)
updating controller 2 failed with all drivers I used … system crash and reboot.

I played with a lot of things, and I have no idea what I did with it.
Installing the iaAHCI.inf … works
Installing the iaStore.inf … works

I changed, using regedit the pciide start value to 0
atapi = 0
intelide = 0

but the post msahci is not existing !?

anyway …
there are some questions beside (or not) my problem.

What I am doing by installing iaAHCI.inf/iaStore.inf ?
What is the difference between the both ?

Repeating me … with Win7 the same procedure works well !
Difference: the post < msahci > is available in Win7 and the system accept the change of drivers (both controllers).

Some ideas ?

Bananaa

@ bananaa:
Wecome at Win-RAID Forum!

You should only have taken the iaAHCI.inf, because it is the necessary information file for the AHCI mode usage of the Intel RST driver named iaStor.sys.
The othe INF file named iaStor.inf is only for Intel RAID systems, when the Intel SATA Controller within the BIOS has been set to "RAID" mode.

Windows XP has no on-board generic AHCI driver like the Vista/Win7 one named msahci.sys. That is why the regedit trick by just enabling the on-board AHCI driver doesn’t work with Windows XP. Your regedit changes confirmed the use of the generic IDE driver named pciide.sys.

See my comment above.

Do the following:

1. Run XP in IDE mode.
  2. Open the "ATA/ATAPI IDE Controllers" section of the Device Manager.
  3. Do a right click onto the listed Intel SATA Controller, where your system drive is connected. > "Update Driver Software…" > "Browse my Computer …" > "Let me pick …".
  4. Hit the "Have Disk" button and navigate to the unzipped "Universal 32bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando" > choose the file named iaAHCI.inf.
  5. Force the installation > Choose the correct Intel AHCI Controller for your system (if you are not sure, check the HardwareIDs of it from within Windows 7) > "OK".
  6. Reboot and enter the BIOS while rebooting.
  7. Set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI".
  8. Reboot into Windows XP and enjoy the OS in AHCI mode.

Offtopic:
You have been registered twice with the nick names "banana" and "bananaa". Which nick name do you prefer resp. which one can be deleted?

Good luck!
Fernando

Many thank’s Fernando for your “turbo-reply” !

but what do you mean with “checking hardwareID” excactly ?
(point 5 in your tutorial)

I had a look in your *.inf’s", and didn’t find adresses like 3A20/3A26 in suported drivers …
There is no driver with 3A20/3A36 adress ?

I thought doing exactly what you recommend …
For ICH 10 family 4 port SATA … controller 1 3A20 it works,
but by doing the same thing for ICH 10 family 2 port … controller 2 … 3A26
system crashed down and reboot.

thanks again
bananaa

If you have a dual boot system with Windows 7 running in AHCI mode on another partition, you should check the exact DeviceID (named DEV_XXXX) of your onboard Intel SATA AHCI Controller by doing the following:
1. Boot into Win7 in AHCI mode.
2. Enter the Device Manager, do a right click onto the listed AHCI Controller (either named somehow like "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller or "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"), then choose "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".
This way you can see the exact DeviceID of your on-noard Intel SATA Controller after having set it to "AHCI" mode. The DeviceID of Intel ICH10 SATA AHCI Controllers can be DEV_3A02, DEV_3A03, DEV_3A22 or DEV_3A23.
The exact DeviceID is important to know, if you have to choose the correct Intel SATA AHCI Controller name while trying to install the modded driver while running Windows XP in IDE mode (AHCI will be enabled during the reboot after the driver installation).

These are the DeviceIDs of the Intel SATA Controller running in IDE mode, but you need the DeviceIDs of the Controller after having set it to AHCI (the DeviceID will be changed by the switch).

thank’s again !

I got it …

It’s only one controller listed: ICH 10R SATA AHCI Controller

HardwareID, there is 4 entries, all is DEV_3A22

I should try the ICH 10R out of iaAHCI.inf, should I ?

Yes!

Trial failed !
In the same way like before.

First I install controller 1, confirm installation … works !
Then I do the same for controller 2, confirm installation … then a short flash on the screen, 1-2 sec PC is stoned … then automatical reboot.

Worst thing is, that I was successful some time ago, another PC but same mainbord, cpu and XP-installation.
If I remember right, I installed at the beginning an exe-file (driver for AHCI) that end with the message "installation successful".
But I have no idea which file it was and no idea if that action was the key for success.

Stange thing …

The strange thing is, that your Device Manager lists 2 different Intel SATA Controllers under XP, but only 1 Intel SATA Controller under Win7.
Your mainboard has either 2 or 4 SATA ports. How many do you see and how many are in use?

That’ correct, 2 seen in XP and 1 in win7.

In XP both is called only “ICH 10”, family 2 and family 4.
In Win7 it is “ICH 10R” (running AHCI), in IDE mode it’s the same like in XP.

There is 6 SATA ports and 4 in use.

No, they are named "ICH10 family 2 port SATA Contoller" and "ICH10 family 4 port SATA Contoller".
This is what I recommend to do:

1. Check, with which of both SATA Controllers your system drive (with Windows XP) is connected.
  2. Repeat the procedure I have posted yesterday, but install the modded driver only onto the Intel Controller, where the system drive is connected. Don’t install the driver onto the other Intel SATA Controller.
  3. Reboot and set the SATA Controller to "AHCI" while rebooting.
  4. Once Windows XP is up in AHCI mode, look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager and post, what you see.

M A G I C !!!
It worked … and I see only one! controller < ICH10R SATA AHCI controller >

Many thanks