Asus P6T SE flash v10.1.0.1008: breaks RAID array?

What a fantastic forum here, let me say that first! Been reading a lot and was VERY happy that TRIM can now be enabled on my older motherboard within my RAID 0 SSD array!

My question is: will flashing the bios including the OROM module break my RAID array?
Since I don’t know if I said that right: will I be able to boot from my old RAID array immediately after flashing? (and shutting down, clearing CMOS, etc.)

- I downloaded v10.1.0.1008 and ASUS P6T SE v0908 (latest)
- I tried MMTool: extracting the old 8.0.0.xx option ROM and checking it out with HxD, which worked as expected
- Replaced the 8.x option ROM with v10.1.0.1008
- Already replaced the v12.x (don’t remember) version RST driver in Win7 x64 with the older v11.2.0.1006
- Read your comments about iaStor still staying in the registry, noted! I just would prefer VERY MUCH to not have to reinstall after the upgrade!
- My new Asus ROM with the v10.1.0.1008: tested extraction, Hxd, and confirmed that the module is inserted in the right way.

Now I’m backing up my system drive which takes up the RAID 0 array of 2 Crucial Performance Pro 120GB disks.

Can I try flashing the modded rom, and if it doesn’t work, flashing back the old rom? Will I then still be able to boot from the existing array? (can’t find this in the forums)
Or will both flashing actions mean, that I have to delete/recreate my RAID array and copy all data from my backup disk?

Your help would be much appreciated!

@ lendicap:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

No, it will not break your existing RAID array.

Yes, if you have replaced the Intel RAID ROM module of your BIOS correctly and the BIOS flashing procedure will work flawlessly, you should be able to boot into your OS, which has been installed onto the RAID0 array.
Pre-condition: After having completed the BIOS flashing procedure, you have to
1. set the "Optimized Default" BIOS settings and
2. redo your previously used BIOS settings, especially to set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID".
After having saved the new BIOS settings, I recommend to enter the BIOS again during the reboot and to set the RAID0 array onto the top position of the HDD boot order.

Yes!

Yes, but after each BIOS flash you have to redo the above mentioned BIOS settings.

Good luck!
Fernando

Half way there… tried it and the OROM flashing works; I can boot from my original RAID array so that’s good!

Trimcheck 0.7 (16 august version 2014) now shows still no TRIM support… I thought this OROM version would support it right? The universally modded one?

What can I do to get TRIM support over RAID 0? Try a higher version of the OROM?

Congratulations!

Yes, all "Universally modded" Intel RAID ROM versions, which I am offering, do support TRIM in RAID0.

No, that would not change anything regarding TRIM support.
The TrimCheck Tool is not able to detect very low TRIM activities. That is why the test sometimes may fail, although TRIM passes through the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the RAID0 array.
Possible solution: Please look into the start post of >this< thread and especially the "Addendum" chapter.

OK. I’ve rebooted several times already after the new OROM was flashed.
Just ran Windows Experience Index again, and saw ‘hard disk score 7.9’ so that’s maxed out, looks good.
the ‘fsutil’ command gives me 0, so TRIM is enabled.
Tried Anvil trim trigger: Anvil states that 'all drives do not respond to Trim command’

What can I try?

Or would I have a problem, since I never freshly re-installed Win7 on my SSD, but just bit-for-bit cloned my old installation onto this SSD RAID array?
I did enable trim, disabled indexing, but checked nothing like partition aligning (starting block 63 vs 64) or that kind of stuff…

What do you think is the problem?

As first step you should check the Intel RAID Utility version by hitting CTRL+I while (re)booting. It should be v10.1.0.1008.
If you are sure, that you inserted the "Universally modded" variant of the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008, I only see 1 reason for the failure of the TRIM detection: The Controller of your SSDs does not support TRIM.
By the way: Within your first post you had written, that you have created a "RAID 0 array of 2 Crucial Performance Pro 120GB disks".
AFAIK Crucial has never produced SSDs with such name. So I suspect, that you are not using Crucial, but Corsair SSDs. Is this correct?

I checked and it is that version; and you are right (I always say Crucial when I mean Corsair, don’t know why)

Even though Anvil says Trim isn’t supported, after another reboot Trimcheck v0.7 detects the trim functionality! WOOHOO! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help Fernando, awesome forum and very happy with your work!!

You are welcome!
Have fun with the feature "TRIM in RAID0", which is officially not supported by your outdated Intel chipset system.

Regards
Fernando

Hi,

I really suggest you to always let a stock bios rom at root of your c: drive that you rename P6TD2.ROM. In case of trouble, the emergency hash flash utility of p6t asus will use it for recovery.

Goodday