ASUS P7P55D-E PRO BIOS update problem

@Lost_N_BIOS

If it is safe to test the mod BIOS (marvell mod by itself, first using 10.8 RST and secondary with 11.2), then it’s fine, I can do that.
If it doesn’t work will I be able to flash back to stock or previously modified one?

@rylan74 - Yes, it would be fine for you to test these BIOS, if failed then the Marvell ports simply wouldn’t work right just like you have now. And yes, you would be able to then flash back to stock or whatever BIOS you are using now.

Here, this contains several BIOS.
1. Same BIOS mod you gave me originally, but with 10.1.0.1008 RST instead - so still 9120 ID’d Marvell Roms
2. Same BIOS mod you gave me originally, but with Marvell ID’s changed to 9123 instead (@ E6+ID20) - so still RST 11.2.0.1527
3. New BIOS I made, RST 10.1.0.1008+ Marvell updates @ 9120 - similar to BIOS-1 edit above, but made fresh, missing other edits from previous mod
4. New BIOS I made, RST 10.1.0.1008+ Marvell updates @ 9123
5. New BIOS I made, RST 11.2.0.1527+ Marvell updates @ 9120 - similar to previous mod, but made fresh and missing other rom updates
6. New BIOS I made, RST 11.2.0.1527 + Marvell updates @ 9123 - very similar to previous mod, but with correct Marvell ID’s - missing other rom updates for now.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…643146413758870

Once we find working solution for these two, I will update the rest. If none of these work, as in show updated Marvell version and RST also works, then I’ll have to setup a board on my end and figure this out.

I found @lordkag posted that MRU utility I was thinking of, and explained it’s usage here for getting device info, you can see if it works with 9123 or not (I’m not sure)
[Discussion] Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules (6)

@Lost_N_BIOS

I will test these out and let you know.
Thank you,

@Lost_N_BIOS

I have tested these BIOS and had issues with them.
BIOS 2, 4 and 6 seemed okay, but after a few minutes in Windows the hard drive/s connected to Marvell ports would disappear.
Windows Event Viewer Logs were showing various errors about atapi error, resetting the device, and device not responding. I tried with IDE, AHCI, Marvell drivers and standard MS drivers.
I could use CTRL+M to get into Marvell RAID BIOS. MRU also showed the device and drives connected.
As soon tried to copy data or use CrystalDisk Mark to test, the PC would freeze every few seconds and disks would disappear.
I tried flashing the other BIOS, but somewhere along the way the Marvell Device ID changed to 914D, it was showing 914D in BIOS RAID menu and MRU Utility, but still the same problem with disks disappearing and PC freezing.
I tried the other BIOS as well and same issues and at one point I thought the Marvell Controller died as it was not detecting drives anymore.

Tried to flash back to stock ASUS BIOS but also had some issues with the Marvell Dev ID, only way to fix it was to remove drivers, clear CMOS, flash stock BIOS again, now it is working again using MS AHCI driver, Windows shows Dev ID 9123. It does also work with the Marvell driver but I’m not sure if it is better to stay with MS driver or use the Marvell driver?

In the Marvell RAID BIOS and MRU it showed supported modes as RAID 0 and RAID 1, I did not have another blank disk to test RAID config, as it is also not my intention to use RAID on the chip. It should have been able to do AHCI/ IDE “passthrough” to use standalone disks, perhaps this is an issue with the way “passthrough” works.

@rylan74 - When you see this on Marvell, is the drive connected a SSD, or regular HDD? Marvell often craps out like that with SSD from all that I’ve ever experienced with it on many boards, but if this only happens to you with these BIOS and not the original stock BIOS (With same/similar testing done on same disk) then it’s the roms causing the issue.

So BIOS 1, 3, 5 all have this Marvell ID error? Please clarify so I can check, you said “other BIOS”, and “other BIOS” so not sure what all that applies to.
Those were all set to your original BIOS ID of 9120, but once you confirm I will rip them apart and check to be sure I didn’t edit anything in incorrectly (went ahead and looked at the files I inserted for all, and each one set to your original device ID 9120 (20 91 in hex)

You should use AHCI or RAID w/ single disk, IDE should not be used, shouldn’t even be an option these days

Sounds like this update is either not compatible or ideal for your system, unless you were using SSD for the testing you describe above, if that’s the case then it sounds like normal/common Marvell operation with SSD to me (ie test again with HDD and I bet it’s fine)
All Intel ports working fine still too in all?

@Lost_N_BIOS

I tested each BIOS again, with flashing back to original ASUS BIOS in-between each mod BIOS test. Tested with 1x HDD, then 1x SSD and then 2 HDDs connected to Marvell Ports.
When I refer to boot into Windows, the OS is on Intel port with SSD, not the same SSD that was used to test the Marvell ports.

BIOS 1: Marvell does not work. Does not boot into Windows.
BIOS 2: Updates Marvell, can CTRL+M. Does boot into Windows. IDE Mode shows Dev ID 914D, AHCI Mode shows 9123. Disks disappear from Windows. Errors in event viewer - Disk IO, device reset, Disk removed, etc.
BIOS 3: Marvell does not work. Does not boot into Windows.
BIOS 4: Updates Marvell, can CTRL+M. Does boot into Windows. IDE Mode shows Dev ID 914D, AHCI Mode shows 9123. Disks disappear from Windows. Errors in event viewer - Disk IO, device reset, Disk removed, etc.
BIOS 5: Marvell does not work. Does not boot into Windows.
BIOS 6: Updates Marvell, can CTRL+M. Does boot into Windows. IDE Mode shows Dev ID 914D, AHCI Mode shows 9123. Disks disappear from Windows. Errors in event viewer - Disk IO, device reset, Disk removed, etc.

Tried to create a RAID 0 with 1x HDD and 1x SSD. It creates the RAID_VD, boots into Windows then Disks disappear. Errors in event viewer - Disk IO, device reset, Disk removed, etc.

Back to stock ASUS BIOS and everything works again. No issues with SSD and HDD on Marvell ports.

1. Same BIOS mod you gave me originally, but with 10.1.0.1008 RST instead - so still 9120 ID’d Marvell Roms
    3. New BIOS I made, RST 10.1.0.1008+ Marvell updates @ 9120 - similar to BIOS-1 edit above, but made fresh, missing other edits from previous mod
    5. New BIOS I made, RST 11.2.0.1527+ Marvell updates @ 9120 - similar to previous mod, but made fresh and missing other rom updates

So, BIOS above ^^^ seems any update and use of the default Stock Marvell BIOS ID (9120) causes failure
    BIOS 2, 4, 6, >> IDE mode and 914D may be normal, expected ID, unsure? IDE mode shouldn’t be used by anyone, and this ID is not changed in those tests between IDE/AHCI/RAID (FW always = same ID as I set per whatever # BIOS = ie these BIOS 2, 4, 6, = 9123)

When you tested single HDD, or dual non-RAID HDD, is disk lost fairly quick, is this always, or only under loads and if only under heavy loads is that moving a file or benchmark/testing like CDM?
    Marvell is pretty poor performer, like J.Micron, but I’ve not seen it get killed all that easily with HDD usage.

Sounds like this FW, no matter how it’s set, or in what combo with RST, is not working well for this controller.
    That or I need to use some combo of new/old, leaving in some module (like possibly the 3KB vs 200KB update at ID 20 FW orom, that seemed wrong right away when I started this, but as mentioned may be due to FW not usually stored in BIOS)

Maybe @lordkag has a few minutes to spare to offer his advice, or check out the BIOS I made at post #22 and see if he thinks I should switch any of that back around with partial stock files

@Lost_N_BIOS

The disk loss is not fairly quick, I can copy a few small size files, but if I try bigger files then it starts freezing and disks disappear. With CDM I use 1GB test.
From what I have read on the forum I see that these Marvell and J.Micron chips are really bad, and I am starting to feel that updating the BIOS modules is a not going to be beneficial .
I have been looking at getting a PCIe SATA expansion card, just not sure on which model to get…
If you can’t figure out the BIOS update, then don’t worry about it, it’s not a major problem, thank you very much for helping me with this.

@rylan74 -Yes, Marvell is worst with SSD especially, it was used on this chipset and few others right before Intel came out with proper 6Gb/s ports. And this one isn’t even 6Gb/s anyway it’s 5Gb/s actual, any heavy load with SSD and those speeds kill it, slow down, stall out, drop from device manager etc.
This usually doesn’t happen with normal HDD due to much slower speeds, but I’ve not tested it at length with heavy load, it may happen then too but shouldn’t be nearly as often or as easy with HDD as it is with SSD

j.Micron, I’ve never tested with SSD, but in general it’s always been meant for an additional storage thing, or CD/DVD etc, not really ever meant to offer a highly beneficial heavy load or high speed solution.

BIOS 2, 4, 6 would be the ideal ones to use, but if they are worse for you than stock, no point in updating to any of those BIOS.
If you need one of those, or some other BIOS, updated with the rest of the roms aside from Marvell let me know what you want edited to what version, and keep in mind that stuff I linked about J.Micron too.

@Lost_N_Bios

I think I’m just going to stick with the stock BIOS.
I’m not using RAID on the INTEL controller, so I guess there will be no benefit to update the INTEL firmware; correct me if I’m wrong?
I’m not using the JMicron controller anymore, and once I get an expansion card, I will not use the Marvell controller also.
I have been advised to look for a SAS RAID card flashed to IT Mode, that will be more reliable.
Thank you.

@rylan74 - yes, correct, if you are not using RAID on Intel then no need to update that, it would not be loaded anyway, unless you run non-RAID disks as AHCI (AHCI single disks when RAID Mode enabled but no RAID created)
And, if you do not want to use/update j.Micron/Marvell, then you can update the Intel one no problem.

@Lost_N_BIOS - Ah okay. I currently set my SATA configuration as AHCI in BIOS. If I had to set to RAID mode but not configure RAID what sort of benefit would that be?
So, Basically I could still use the original modified BIOS as described in my first post, to update the Intel Firmware? or if you get a chance, could you please create a new BIOS with only Intel firmware updated?

@rylan74 - Nothing noticeable in real life, but many people use systems like that, sometimes you can squeeze few extra MB/points in benchmarks that way.

Yes, you could use the Non-Marvell BIOS from post one (check about the j.micron issues I linked you to though).
Or yes, if you want, I can make you BIOS with only Intel rom updated. If you want that, please let me know what version you want installed.

@Lost_N_BIOS - Okay, I have been reading about the Intel ROMS on AHCI & RAID ROM Modules
The previous BIOS mods had Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 = best choice for Intel ICH7R/8R/9R/10R Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST v11.2.0.1006), best performant ROM for all RAID0 users
According to Recommended ROM version that would be Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006 = good choice for Intel 5- and 6-Series Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST(e) v12.9.4.1000)
This one - https://www.win-unattended.de/Benutzer/F…od-acc-CPL0.rar
I take it that this version is the latest compatible version with P55 chipset, if so then that version will be preferred.
Thanks.

Your comments contradict themselves Previous mod had = Best choice / then you say recommended rom = different than first comment
I personally don’t know what is best, I don’t mess with that stuff myself, but I can go read the threads and find what is latest and or best, but those two things do not mean the same thing, which is why I asked you to research and choose (latest does not = best always, it only = latest)

OK, this is what I found, same as you read I assume, but you have to clarify for me what you want
Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 = best choice for Intel ICH7R/8R/9R/10R Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST v11.2.0.1006), best performant ROM for all RAID0 users
Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006 = good choice for Intel 5- and 6-Series Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST(e) v12.9.4.1000) << I am not even sure if you can use this, since it’s RST(e), maybe you can with the correct driver/software, but it’s mainly for actual RAID users I believe.
Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v13.5.0.2164 << Latest possibly “Compatible”, and same thought as mentioned above about RST(e)

@Lost_N_BIOS - Sorry if it sounds contradicting/ confusing…
I thought that Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 = best choice for Intel ICH7R/8R/9R/10R Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST v11.2.0.1006), best performant ROM for all RAID0 users.
Since my MB uses P55 chipset, I thought that this would work, Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006 = good choice for Intel 5- and 6-Series Chipset RAID systems (matching RAID driver: Intel RST(e) v12.9.4.1000).
If this is only for RAID systems and has no effect on AHCI or RAID(AHCI mode), then I guess it will be not beneficial to me.
BTW I tried to boot up my system in RAID AHCI mode, but it did not boot into Windows, Blue screen Boot Device Error.

Also saw this on the same thread:
Intel AHCI ROM modules
Remarks:

According to my knowledge only Award/Phoenix BIOSes (and maybe some non-UEFI AMI BIOSes) of older mainboards do contain a discrete Intel AHCI ROM module, whereas the AMI UEFI BIOSes of the newer mainboards (with an Intel Chipset from 6-Series up) just contain an Intel RAID ROM, but no Intel AHCI ROM module.
The function and the compatibility of the “Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller” obviously is managed by a “normal” (non-OROM) BIOS module, which cannot resp. don’t need to be updated.

Intel AHCI ROMs (only for BIOSes of older mainboards with a non-UEFI BIOS):

Latest officially released Intel AHCI ROM module:
>Intel AHCI ROM v1.20E< (>MIRROR<)
Note: This module has been compiled by Intel in 2008 and is the latest AHCI ROM module, which has been officially released by Intel. This special module obviously has been primarily designed for Intel 5-Series/3400 SATA AHCI Controllers (DEV_3B22), but obviously works with other Intel AHCI Controllers as well.

Latest available Intel AHCI ROM module:
>Intel AHCI ROM v2.00h (new, but its benefit has not yet been proved) (>MIRROR<)
Note: It was our Forum Guru plutomaniac, who found this AHCI ROM module dated 05/04/2015 and gave us the link (big thanks to him). This source module doesn’t contain the DeviceID of a certain Intel SATA AHCI Controller. That is why I am unsure, whether it will work as it is with all Intel AHCI Controllers up to the 5-Series Chipset ones or the matching specific DeviceID has to be added into the hex code.
Update: Our Forum member YUQINGLIU inserted this module into BIOS of his Intel 5-Series Chipset mainboard and it seems to work (look >here<).