Asus P8H77-M LE bios and Windows 10?

Hello, I am trying to set up a dual boot with win 10 on my wife’s pc which has win 7 installed on an Asus P8H77-M LE motherboard.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M…pDesk_Download/

When I try to do a fresh install with the win 10 dvd it boots into the logo for about a minute then I get this blue screen error message. “Your pc has run into a problem and needs to restart. We’ll restart for you. If you’d like to know more you can search online for this error - System service exception.” There is a lot of information online for this error in running versions of win 10 but very little during installation. The error just repeats if I reboot with the dvd in place.

I also tried installing a second version of win 7 to the win 10 partition I had created and upgrading with the Microsoft upgrade tool. The installation ran as normal until it needed to reboot when I got the same blue screen error and was unable to continue. In fact the error also happens if the hard drive is disconnected, which makes me think it might be a problem with the bios. Asus haven’t provided win 10 drivers for the P8H77-M LE but they have for the P8H77-M,

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M/HelpDesk_Download/

As far as I can tell these boards seem the same except that the P8H77-M has more hardware features, none of which seem relevant to the ability to run win 10. So my question is this, assuming that it is not a hardware problem, would it be possible to transfer the win 10 compatible part of the P8H77-M bios to the P8H77-M LE bios and if so what would be the best way to proceed?

Thanks for any advice,
David.

@David44 :
Hello David,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This BSOD may have a lot of different reasons.
Provided, that you have a legit Win10 image as ISO file, the target system drive is healthy and connected to one of the Intel SATA ports, I recommend to do the following:
1. Do a backup of the data, which are on the target system drive (if there are data at all).
2. Let the tool Rufus create a bootable Win10 image by using an USB Disk Drive. Depending on your BIOS BOOT settings (UEFI/Legacy mode), choose the matching partition table (GPT/MBR).
3. Disconnect all currently attached Disk Drives (incl. your DVD Burner) except the target system drive.
4. Enter the BIOS, choose the "Optimized Default Settings" and make sure, that the Intel SATA Controller has been set to "AHCI" mode. Don’t forget to save the changed settings.
5. Insert the prepared USB Flash Drive containing the desired Win10 image and boot off it.
6. At the point, when the Win10 Setup has detected your target system drive and shows the already existing partitions, delete them all and let the Setup create a new sufficiently sized partition.
7. The Win10 Setup will automaticly create additional small sized partitions.
8. Choose the biggest sized of the freshly created partitions as target partition for the OS.
9. The rest will be done automaticly resp. according to your input.
10. Once the OS is up and running fine, shut down and power off the computer.
11. Unplug the USB Disk Drive and reconnect all the other Disk Drives, which were temporarily unplugged during the OS installation.
12. Restart the computer and boot into the freshly installed OS.
If you should run into problems, please let us know the details.

I doubt, that your problem has been caused by the BIOS itself. So a transfer of specific BIOS modules, which would be a very risky operation anyway, will not help at all.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando, I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Booting win 10 from a usb stick gives the same bsod as booting it from a dvd.

At which stage of the Win10 installation did you get the message?
Did you boot off a "clean" (untouched) Win10 image?
Did you load any driver?
Did you unplug all other Disk Drives except the target system drive?
Is the target system drive connected to an Intel SATA port? If yes, which one?
Have you set the SATA Controller to "AHCI" before you started th OS installation?
Has the target HDD/SSD been used before? If yes, with which SATA mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID)?
Note: If the target HDD/SSD has been a member of a RAID array, the array has to be deleted before you can install a new OS onto it.

About 15 secs after it booted.

Yes

No

No other disk drives

The first Sata port

Yes

AHCI (500gb HDD)

I emailed Asus about this problem and they told me the P8H77-M LE is incompatible with Windows 10 but they wouldn’t say why it is incompatible nor why the P8H77-M is compatible and the P8H77-M LE isn’t. I replied saying I found it incredible that a board advertised as Windows 8 ready is obsolete after just one operating system upgrade!

Looks like my wife will have to do without Windows 10 until we decide to get a new board.

EDIT by Fernando: Quoting code corrected and blank lines removed (to save space)

You are absolutely right - it is absolutely not acceptable, if ASUS had delivered an Intel 7-Series Chipset mainboard model, which is absolutely not usable with Windows 10. If I were you, I would demand either a new BIOS, which solves the problem, or a new mainboard, which supports Win10.

Hi!

Have you tried updating your BIOS?
I read the whole thread, but you didn’t mention it.

Have you compared the BIOS settings between your 2 mainboards?

Did you run a memory test, like memtest86 or memtest86+?
Maybe it’s the RAMs fault or one memory slot is dead.

Best regards,
Mr nUUb

Yes I have the latest bios for the P8H77-M LE.

I did try comparing the P8H77-M LE and the P8H77-M bios using MMTool and there are some differences but they don’t mean much to me (is there a glossary of bios code somewhere?) which is why I was hoping someone here could tell me if the P8H77-M LE bios could be updated to win 10 compatability by using the P8H77-M bios as an example?

I haven’t run any memory tests but the machine installs and runs win 7 without a problem and has been doing so for 2 or 3 years, using the full 4gb of ddr3 installed. But I will do so just to be thorough.

At first I thought Asus just hadn’t bothered to update the P8H77-M LE drivers, especially as it is so similar to the P8H77-M which is updated, but now I am beginning to think that if they could have updated they would most likely have done so and there is something in the hardware configuration preventing it being updated. (Perhaps it is an earlier revision than the P8H77-M?). But that is not an excuse. Would anyone buy a board if they knew it was going to be obsolete within about 2 years?

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. I meant the settings you made during BIOS configuration and not the BIOS modules or code.

I just use the default settings, except for changing to AHCI and putting the dvd as first boot device.

@David44 :
It is hard to believe, that you are not able to get Win10 installed onto your rather new and not exotic system, and is even harder to believe, that ASUS has done a BIOS modification with the result, that you cannot use an up-to-date OS.

I had given you the advice to unplug all storage devices (incl. the Optical drive), except the target HDD/SSD for the OS installation, and to boot off the USB Flash Drive, which contains the desired Win10 image.
This includes, that at the beginning of the OS installation the first bootable device has to be the USB Flash Drive and the first bootable HDD has to be the target HDD/SSD for the OS installation.

Yes I did that but it just boots the win 10 logo for half a minute then gives the bsod.

I didn’t wipe the hdd because my wife needs win 7 for work and win 10 should be able to dual boot with win 7. But it is not even getting to the stage where it can see the partitions and I can choose Custom Install. And as Asus has told me that the board is incompatible I don’t think it is a hdd issue.

I sent Asus your suggestiion but they haven’t replied, which is not surprising. If they compenstated me they might have to compensate all P8H77-M LE owners. But I do feel swindled as my wife will now lose her free upgrade to win 10 offer which ends this month, thanks to Asus selling us a dud.