Asus P9X79 with a strange case of the Alzheimers

Hello there, I’ve heard about the forum through someone mentioning UBU, microcode updates, etc.

I’d like to ask some insight on a problem I’m having and if there’s any way to fix it using another microcode, BIOS mod, etc.

So I was overclocking my 3960X for the first time. I was hitting VRM current limits and shutting down, was trying to get 5Ghz stable. With overclocking, you get a lot of BSODs, crashes, hangs, etc. But the most bizarre thing just happened to me.

My BIOS straight out refuses to save any multiplier changes, and boots in odd numbers of clockspeed like 3304Mhz (3300 originally) when setting a multiplier.

I’ve tried flashing an older BIOS, didn’t work, I’ve tried flashing various BIOS, nothing (through USB Bios flashback).

Settings like Voltage save changes, Disabling Turbo Boost works. Anything related to Multipliers it just refuses to save.

Also noticed XMP option went missing.

Tried it with another CPU (Xeon E5-2670) and the same odd glitches occur, no XMP, Turbo mode always enables itself on its own when changing the multipliers or BCLK…

Changing the multiplier works if I use Asus’ application in Windows, and its stable. However in the BIOS, I literally set the multiplier at 45, press F10 and it tells me that the multiplier will be changed from Auto to 45. I press enter, it reboots and it boots with 3309Mhz or 3304Mhz, always an odd number. I head into the BIOS and it says the multiplier is at 45. I press F10 (without changing anything) and it tells me, again that the multiplier will be set from 45 to 45 (like it knows I set it to 45 but, it didn’t apply the 45 multiplier. Normal behavior would be, if nothing changes it tells me "no settings have been changed and you press enter, it reboots, but in this case, its telling me its changing the multi to 45 even though it knows I set it to 45, but the CPU still runs stock speeds). BCLK overclocking works however.

I’m kind of annoyed at this, I was wondering if there was something that could be done along the lines of completely overwritting the BIOS from scratch (maybe corrupted BIOS?) or pre apply an overclock. The issue isn’t to have to use Asus AI Suite to always set the Multi to 45 within windows, that would be the least of my problems, however I want to sell this board at some point, and I don’t want to sell a broken motherboard.

If anyone could share some insight on this, it would be amazing. Thank you!

@MikeTheBlueFox :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I doubt, that you will be able to solve your overclocking problems by modifying your in-use BIOS. Furthermore you will not get support from ASUS, when you have flashed a modded BIOS.
As first step you should stop overclocking by choosing the DEFAULT CPU and Memory settings.
If you should still encounter BIOS problems even with these settings, I recommend to contact the ASUS Technical Support.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The board is pretty much out of warranty now, its probably 5 years old now, so ASUS will probably tell me to take a hike.

I was wondering if there’s a way to completely 100% reflash the BIOS? Like write it from scratch? Just so I can make sure the BIOS isn’t corrupted in anyway shape or form. If I can throw the BIOS out of the equation, I can just call it a dead board and just put it in a box in a shelf for a project later down the road and get myself a new system next year.

Thanks @Fernando .

If the latest original ASUS BIOS for your mainboard should be faulty, you have to report this issue to the ASUS Support. This has nothing to do with the warranty.

The easiest way to restore the stock BIOS and its DEFAULT settings is to use the “clear CMOS” jumper.

Will do. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!