ASUS Prime Z370-A BIOS chip location - remove Win10 OEM license

Hello there,

I’ve bought two ex-enterprise Asus Z370-A mainboards where I need to remove the Win 10 OEM license. I would like to get this done by using a CH341a programmer but I am already struggling to find the BIOS chip on the mainboard.

According to someone from linustechtips forum it should be the red circled chip on the picture:

PrimeZ370.jpg.jpg

I’am not fully convinced that this is the BIOS chip. In my case this would be Winbond 25X05CLNIG

Winbond 25X05CLNIG.jpg

I found a 25Q128A chip that is close to a SPI header?!

25Q128A.jpg

What do you think? How do I distinguish if 1.8V or 3.3V is needed? Is there maybe an easier way to remove a WIN license from BIOS?

Thank you!

Flash chips in VSCC table:
EF4018 (Winbond W25Q128) 3v
20BA18 (Micron N25Q128)
C22018 (Macronix MX25L128)
C84018 (GigaDevice GD25x128)

Thanks for your help. I was able to dump the bios and remove the Win10 license. Unfortunately this didnt solve my problem. Do you know how a system/pc is linked to a specific MS account? I’ve bought a used workstation from a company sale, installed my SSD and ran WIN10 setup. When the network cable is plugged in during installation I get the following message “Welcome to X-Y-Z company - please fill in your X-Y-Z company email address”. A specific user account [email protected] is prefilled → next screen asks for a password for this account.
How does the unit recognize it has to connect to the company? Is that a specific UID in BIOS that makes it connect to the company’s account? Would a fresh stock-bios fix this behaviour? I’ve already spoke to the company’s IT department but they didn’t have time to help.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes its HW UID linked to a MS licence, bios SLIC/OEMCERT etc… so u didnt programmed a regular Z370-A bios from Asus…i thougth that this was ur goal…
Search on forums in mydigitallife.net

and that HW MS license info is stored on MS’s activation servers, not on the motherboard itself