Asus S510UQ NVME SSD BIOS Help

Hi, guys!

On the ASUS laptop, I want to put a new SSD drive. Previously, the Toshiba SSD was on the laptop as a C drive. Here are the characteristics of this SSD disk:
128 GB SSD M.2 drive Toshiba [THNSNK128GVN8]

I want to put a Samsung SSD drive:
1 TB Samsung SSD 970 PRO M.2 NVMe [MZ-V7P1T0BW]

ASUS laptop characteristics:
Asus S510UQ-BQ176T Laptop (90NB0FM1-M06710)

I tried different options offered on this site, but so far all unsuccessfully.

Please help me deal with this. Thanks

I am primarily interested in whether I can put an SSD drive, with the NVMe M.2 connector, on the M.2 connector so that it works normally? Physically, I can do this, the M.2 NVMe disk fits this connector. But which drivers do I need to install and how to modify the BIOS so that I get a properly working disk?

>Here< is the link to the description of the disk that I want to put.
>Here< is the link to the description of my laptop, and >here< is the link to download the BIOS.

I unlocked the BIOS as described >here<. But there were some features. When entering the “setup_val 0x8E4 0x00” command, not one but two variables were found. When analyzing the second variable, the system gave an error:
"error: offset is out of range…"

When I re-enter the command (after long unsuccessful attempts to flash modded BIOS), the following message appears:
offset ox8e4 is: 0x00

That is, it turns out that the value of the 0x8E4 variable is changed to 0x00. As far as I understand, this means that the BIOS is unlocked.
(But after I flashed the modded BIOS, the new SSD drive was not found)

In addition, in the BIOS of my laptop is missing such a parameter as the “OS Type” (apparently it was locked). But since the value of the variable has changed, I thought that the BIOS was already unlocked.

To create a modded BIOS, I used the method described >here<. But there were some nuances. In the original BIOS (and in the BIOS, received when running the command “FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin”), I did not find the “BIOS region” section and did not find the “CSMCORE module”. I thought it was a BIOS feature for this ASUS laptop.

All these actions were performed several times (attempt to unlock the BIOS and flash the modded BIOS). The BIOS does not see the new SSD drive. Running Acronis Disk Director from a flash drive also shows that this drive is not available. Therefore I decided to write to the file what was in the BIOS using the command “FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin”. Then I began to look for the phrase “BIOS Lock” in the text version of the BIOS section, as described >here<. It turned out that the BIOS is still locked.

I do not know what to do next.

A feature in the working of the new SSD disk is that it gets very hot when I launch Acronis Disk Director (and is possible when viewing BIOS settings).

@Gordej - biosreg.bin is the BIOS region only, so you wont find BIOS region named there, but you will find it in the stock BIOS (below AMI Aptio Capsule, if opened with UEFITool, I guess it’s not named that way in this BIOS either but that is the BIOS region).
CSMCore module doesn’t really have anything to do with the NVME Mod, other than to show you which section to correctly insert the module, and you are correct it’s not used in this BIOS.
NVME Module insert goes into second main volume, third subvolume in this BIOS, directly below GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0
Please attach your mod BIOS and I will check it and see if you did correctly, if not I will fix for you. Also, please include your original FPT BIOS region dump and put it in a folder named original so I know which one is the stock original BIOS dump

Please be careful, or stop what you are trying, FPT can brick your board with a single click, so only flash what you know is good BIOS and only flash a dump from FPT never stock BIOS

BIOS lock only needs to be disabled once from grub, until you flash in some other BIOS after that with BIOS lock enabled again, then it will be re-enabled. If you disable in the BIOS file before you flash it, then it will remain unlocked.
Not all BIOS have same settings, or terminology for settings, so you may not find “OS Type” setting, or it may be called something else in your BIOS or instead another setting covers all that (Such as Boot mode >> UEFI or Legacy)

I have combined your posts into a single new thread for you, since the questions and stuff you discuss have nothing really to do with the thread you posted in (how to flash AMI mod BIOS)
Please feel free to edit the title if you want.

Thank you for helping me. I am sorry, that I still could not answer you.

I installed again the BIOS downloaded from >this link<.
I created the file “biosreg.bin” using the command “FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin”.
Then I created the file “modbiosreg.bin”.
I placed both files in the attached archive files.

original.zip (4.37 MB)

mod BIOS.zip (4.38 MB)