ASUS X99 Deluxe RAID 5 with SSD cache - driver for RST was pulled and now i have a problem.

Ok so I have a problem trying to find a driver that will fix my issue. I have read that the RST drivers were pulled for X99 boards due to some issue. I am using a ASUS X99 Deluxe. This has left me in a bit of a pickle. I previously setup (probably with the old driver before it was pulled) A RAID 5 consisting of 3 2TB WD drives on the grey ports on the board with the drives on ports SATA6G_1 to SATA6G_3 and the 60GB SSD for caching on SATA6G_4. With the intel RST drivers I had previously I was able to setup the cache. The performance on the RAID 5 was always terrible, I only ever acheived speeds in the area of 30MB/s write and read was from memory about 150MB/s.

With the new install and the only drivers availible i can find the transfer speeds are woefull. In copying a file from the raid 5 to a ssd I get about 2-3 megabytes per second transfer speed. My internet is faster than this rubbish.

My question is can I do anything without the old pulled drivers to get any kind of decent performance back? or am i best hjust disabling the ssd cache from bios and going the newer drivers. I think currently windows 10 has installed is 15.44.10.10 and the driver availible from asus is 14.5.0.1081.

Any good ideas?

@AngryAnnunaki :
Which version had your “old driver, which was pulled”?

What lets you think, that other Intel RAID drivers are not available?

I have no idea what version the old driver was, that is my problem.

Well for one when I get the RST(e) software and drivers installed the secondary Controller that does the rst application and I have not found any driver that will enable me to turn on or off the ssd cache. Primarily that is what I want, a driver/rst that will give me back the ssd cache options on this hardware

@AngryAnnunaki :
>Here< is a guide about how to use the “Intel Smart Response Technology”.
If you want to get a recommendation regarding the best matching Intel RST driver version, you should post the HardwareIDs of your Intel SATA RAID Controller (Device Manager > “Storage Controllers” > right-click onto the listed Intel SATA RAID Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).

Thankyou very much Fernando! I shall read the guide now.

The Hardware ID for the Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller are as follows:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_86001043&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_86001043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

If you can recommend the best driver I would be very appreciative.

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

I recommend to try the latest drivers, which belong to the Intel RST v14.8 or v15.2 series.

OK, thanks for the advice. I installed the latest 15.2 from your forum and now it is back in a bad state whereby the intel RST service will not run and i cannot open RST. The icon in the notification area constantly has a little blue waiting circle spinning above the hard disk icon. If i try to start the service manually i get an error code 1607: the process terminated unexpectedly.

Any thoughts?

Update: 14.8 does the same :frowning:

@AngryAnnunaki :
How did you install the related Intel RAID drivers?
Did you uninstall the previously used Intel RST software, before you started the driver update?
If yes, try the Intel RAID driver v13.1.0.1058 or v13.2.8.1002.

the 13.1 and 13.2 are what I tried first off based on the information you posted there about X99 compatability. They both had the same problem.

(right now I am back on 14.8 and copying an 18.5GB file to a SSD has an estimated time remaining of 40 mins :frowning: It really sucks))