BD/DVD Riplock firmware patching - Anyone ever try it out?

Hi,

Lately I have been backing up my DVD collection and have been experimenting with software like MakeMKV and AnyDVD HD to decrypt my dvd’s and noticed that it can sometimes take like a half hour to backup the dvd to hard disk! So I did a little research and found that there is a restrictive feature in some DVD-BD drive firwares that limit the read speeds. This is called riplock as its been surmised that its a feature to make you not want to rip the disk. Being my LG GGW-H20L was acting so slow I found a utility called ‘MediaSpeedCodeEdit’ that listed my drive as one of the compatible models and all you have to do is load your firmware into the software and click ‘increase speed’ and save the firmware and flash. So I performed the mod and flashed the modded firmware and rebooted. Luckily everything was still working though sadly I did not notice any speed difference compared to before using MakeMKV which took 33 minutes to rip a dvd. However Anydvd was able to rip the whole dvd in about 17 minutes to VOB files and it just took MakeMKV a few minutes from there to convert the vobs to mkv. AnyDvd has a drive speed setting preference where you can set your disk to the maximum read speed sacrificing noise. Only wish I benched the drive with Anydvd prior starting this mod but its worth trying if you have an old dvd drive and you want to take the risk.