Biod Modded but raised an Issue with Reboot going to Black screen until Reset

Hello all,

I flashed the NVME driver bios to allow booting for NVMe on Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

1 x Adaptor card + NVME
1 x Adaptor card + NVME
1 x GPU
3 x normal HDD
1 x display via Displayport.

I disconnected all drives, installed windows and everything worked fine except for one issue.

When I restart the machine via windows, a soft reboot, it hangs just after the bios page with a black screen. Sometimes it flashes a lighter colour than black and then goes back to black. if I press the hardware reset switch, it reboots and then boots into windows normally.
Reading around the forums I can see a few other posts detailing something similar happening but no solution.

Device manager shows no warnings.
Motherboard shows Intel Management Engine 8.1 Build 1471, Hot fix 51.

I have tried to reinstall the IME, move the NVME to a different slot, cleaned everything, disconnected, reconnected and no change.

I also replaced the CMOS Battery.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas?
This only occurred after the BIOS flash.

Edit: I think it was the third Bios.

1. ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owners Club - R4E.CAP did not work

2. Second Winraid Bios did not work but there was no identification of the Bios. [OFFER] Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Nvme Bios mod (4901) - #6 by Plop

3. Third Winraid worked via USB Flash

InoSiX

Jun '21

I had an issue using the provided CAP in OPs post. I tried with many different sticks formatted many different ways, using Diskpart and Windows formatting. None of them worked. I took the time to create my own for RIVE (Rampage IV Extreme) by dropping the NVME driver into a freshly downloaded (ASUS Website) rev4901 bios. I will attach it here for anyone that wants to try this one (in case OPs doesn’t work for you too).

EDIT Unable to upload because of file size limit. I have uploaded it to the following:
***EDIT EDIT *** Unable to upload my post because of a lack of posts on this forum (literally registered an account an hour ago to post this to be fair). I have attached a text document that contains many of the same steps plus a MEGAUPLOAD link.

1. Run command prompt as Administrator
  2. Type DISKPART
  3. Plug in your USB drive. Note the size of the device (which is likely much smaller than your hard drives). WARNING >> THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE USB DRIVE
  4. Type LIST DISK
  5. Locate your USB thumb drive. Remember the drive number
  6. Make sure you have selected the right device.
  7. Type SELECT DISK xxxxxxx where xxxxxxx is the drive number from step 5
  8. Type CLEAN
  9. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
  10. Type ASSIGN LETTER=yyyyyyy where yyyyyyy is a drive letter you aren’t currently using
  11. Transfer the file attached here to the root of the drive (note I kept it lower case, this worked fine for me)
  12. Plug into white USB port on back of motherboard
  13. Press and hold the appropriate ROG Connect key until it blinks a few times
  14. Wait a while until it is done. The ROG Connect key will slowly blink. If the USB has a light to indicate disk read/write, it will blink too.

RIVE NVME BIOS.txt (1.55 KB)

Flashing procedure:

USB fat 32 drive.
Machine off all drives physically disconnected except NVME drive
ROG Button flashed 5 times as if reading the USB.
Waited until no flashing ROG Button.
Waited another 5 minutes to be safe.
Disconnect power. Wait 1 minute.
Connect power, reboot machine.
Install windows.

Crucial P3 Plus 1tb NVME
glotrends PCIe M.2 Adapte for M.2 SSD, NVMe PCIe 4.0
PCIE Slot 6.

Share here, EXACTLY the bios mod that its currently flashed on the motherboard.

This usually happens when the bios was messed INCORRETLY with AMIBCP…NVRam bumps on it due to user mistakes, this besides adding the NVMe DXE.

I have found the links above. I did not modify the bios and just used it as is from link 3.

R4E.rar (4.1 MB)

uploaded file.

No miracles here as it could be another issue on the system and if so i cant help you more on your problem.
Flash this bios (USB BFB), reset CMOS and re-install the OS in “PURE UEFI” with only the NVME drive to boot…if you want of course.

EDIT: That was my suspicion and therefor i asked you to share the current bios mod flashed on the motherboard…
Theres thousand of users with NVMe bios mod across AMD900/Intel 6-7-8 with a perfect stable system, i myself had never had any issues with…
The forum cant be accounted for files shared by users and so we always encourage users to do their own mod file, thats why time and dedication was taken on presenting the best guides possible.

Its ok I just used clover USB boot as all this was far too much trouble. The USB boot took 5 minutes and suggest everyone just does that.

As soon as I used Clover all the boot problems disappeared. Also I then reflashed to original bios and could easily get into the bios whereas before with the modded bios it would not go into the bios sometimes and not accept keyboard input. Now everything is working fine so the modded bios was damaged/wrong.