BIOS Mod Asus N56VZ

Hello,
i’ve been reading the first 5 pages of this thread: BIOS Mod Asus K55A Laptop… Possible???

My BIOS interface just looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/3TBTgyc.jpg
I managed to unlock some options under the Advanced tab, by using AMIBCP.

In the thread i linked above, the user @lordkag just managed to unlock the Chipset tab, that is what i’d also like to do.
So, i used MMTool and applied the patch posted here: BIOS Mod Asus K55A Laptop… Possible??? (5) to my bios image.

Then when i open that image with AMIBCP, the program crashes and then i cannot unhide the options i need (chipset, advanced, etc.).
I didn’t even try to flash the patched image, because i don’t think it’s normal (as far as i understand about the matter, that is near to nothing).

I hope you can help me. I’ll attach my default bios image extracted with Intel FPK tools posted here: BIOS Mod Asus K55A Laptop… Possible??? (2)

biosbck.zip (2.65 MB)

@ dovahkiin:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I am not able to help you (I am not an expert regarding your problem), you should wait until lordkag (or someone else) has read your post and will give you the needed tips.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks Fernando.

So, i applied all the patches posted by the user lordkag and now i can use AMIBCP.
I’m going to test.

– update: it works, but when i save the options i changed the laptop goes in a kind of bootloop.
As soon as it power up, it shuts down (endessly).
I have to unplug power for more than 20 seconds to make it start. I applied only the patch relative to Chipset for AMITSE and Setup.

I’ve just restored my backup and it’s ok now. Anyway, i’m going to try again later.
I just don’t know why it makes this weird behaviour with the patches

I am pretty sure, that lordkag will be able to explain it.
Please wait for his advice.

@dovahkiin

Forgive me if I understood this the wrong way, but when you say “applied the patches”, do you mean following the procedure or just use the posted files? Because using the same BIOS files I posted there is way too dangerous to even considering it. You should use from that thread only the FPT files and the advices.

As per your situation:
- don’t flash the file obtained with AMIBCP. You do this at your own risk. Rather than that, unlock your favorite options, save a temp file, extract AMITSE using MMTool, replace AMITSE in your working/good biosbck.bin and flash. After flash, you restore default settings, shutdown for a minute, maybe even reset EC if you have problems. Based on a quick look, you should unlock (if it is hidden at all) EIST, UEFI Boot, Intel AES-NI. The rest is your choice.
- for unlocking Chipset tab you patch setup.ffs in a hex editor and correct the checksums in UEFITool. Uploaded here is your file, in compressed and uncompressed form. You have around 2456 KB free in your main FV volume, so it is fine with using any of them. Replace Setup (GUID 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21) with MMTool, then do the rest as above.

Asus N56VZ test.rar (122 KB)

@lordkag
first of all, thank you for your answer.
i’ve been very lucky to have my device still working, because i used the posted files.
i’ll keep in mind your precious tips. i will let you know.

– update. it works, i can see Chipset tab.
Again, thanks a lot. I’ve to understand how to patch setup.ffs correctly.
Anyway, does some of you know if it safe for me to apply this options (in order to disable integrated graphics card)?

I mean, if i change this i can always enter in bios and set the default values?

Don’t ever do that! Your laptop is probably using Optimus, which means that the display is always connected to iGPU. Disabling it will result in a black screen and only removing the CMOS battery or blindly reseting defaults will save you. You won’t believe the amount of bricked laptops because of this scenario: users ask for unlocked BIOS only to change something they know nothing about. Just search mux-less vs muxed to know what this is about.

But why go this way when you can have them both running at the same time? You just go to Nvidia Control Panel and set Global Settings -> Preferred graphics processor -> High-Performance Nvidia, or set your desired programs with High-Performance Nvidia in the next tab, Program Settings. You should also tick those two options regarding context menu, as detailed here.

I really don’t see this crazy need to disable iGPU, when it is just a click away of being replaced with Nvidia when needed, but it is far more powerful when it comes to video decoding or power saving, like browsing or office stuff. Nevermind the heat generated by running dGPU all the time.

Alright, so i guess my laptop hasn’t got a multiplexer to switch the gpu/display.
Actually, i’m fine with Windows and Nvidia Control Panel. Infact everything works as expected.

My concern was about making work HDMI Output on OS X (10.9). As far as i learnt, OS X does not support Optimus and HDMI is directly ‘linked’ to dGPU.
Do you have any reference/tips about modify the Setup to enable Chipset tab? There may be some testers.
Some other users of N56VZ says that by simply modifying this option:

Boot VGA Controller Selection For
from Windows7/Vista to Others

internal display is disabled and video output is sent directly to HDMI port.

However, i'm turning the page. If it's not possible i won't bother anybody.

May i update EFI Satadriver, EFI GOP Driver and CPU Microcode?

Well, this is a different case, but you still might not be able to successfully do that. You should ask this question in a hackintosh forums, they will surely help you more on this matter.

Your screen is connected to iGPU. Your HDMI is connected to dGPU, so you say: it is your hardware and I hope/think you have done some research on that. Once you disable iGPU, you lose the internal display. So be pretty sure that you memorize (write on paper) the steps to blindly revert the settings or how to set defaults, in case the HDMI fails to output something. I’m not sure if this will actually work, so be prepared for restoring a brick.

In order to have only dGPU running, the previous 3 settings you mentioned will do the trick. But again, ask/search in specialized forums before you do something wrong.

Edited:
You can use UBU for EFI GOP, OROM for Lan, microcodes. OROM RAID is not used, but you can use UBU if it makes you feel better about having latest version. OROM VBIOS should only be updated with transferred settings. If you really need them, I might have a look.

Since i can’t use the internal display it’s almost useless (at least for me),
Even though the option “Primary Display” is set by default to “SG” (Switchable Graphics) and i have the chance to change it to “PEG” (PCI Express Graphics) makes me hope that there is a way to switch the display… but who knows? That option may be there as a placeholder for a standard bios gui and this could be the reason why Chipset tab was hidden by Asus itself.

p.s. I’ve just updated EFI GOP and Microcode. Is VBIOS used when UEFI is enabled?

You could try to search on how to disable dGPU using DSDT. But will you be happy with running only iGPU, will it satisfy your needs? Actually, forget about this: you already said that you need HDMI. So the only chance is to use an external monitor and iGPU disabled.

If you are using UEFI, you updated everything you needed. There is another EFI Lan UNDI Driver, but there is some discussion about updating that, specifically if the different versions are universal.

I think i already have a DSDT with dGPU disabled. Maybe this is the reason why HDMI sends no output, but OS X doesn’t even boot without that DSDT patch.
iGPU on OS X works really well, of course, as i don’t need to play games or use softwares with intensive gpu usage.

So, it ended up that i didn’t need to unlock my bios but i’m at least ‘happy’ that i updated it with UBU.
Thanks for your support :wink:

good morning, I need help with this same laptop… the chipset allows RAM ddr3-l 1600mhz up to 32 gb… unfortunately it is not compatible in laptop bios! who can help me???

@Alexus92
This is an HM76 mobile not a Z77/H77 desktop chipset, on this era, usually on mobile platform the max ram was not available as the desktop platform… i recall something of this but not sure, it was bond to 2x8Gb i believe.
Anyway, wait other users pov.