Bricked Bios Asus Sabertooth Z77

@MeatWar He means hot swap:
booting the P67
yanking out the P67 firmware chip while machine still running
putting inn the Z77 firmware chip while machine still running
programming the Z77 chip with a Z77 bios

Might work if the complete firmware gets written, might as well end up with a dead P67 chip in addition.

1 Like

Didnt even remember the hot swap method… thats because was never an option of my taste.
Even so…damm, too much work for 12-15€ CH341 and yes maybe a dead P67, his choice…cheers.

1 Like

EDIT: THIS POST IS MOSTLY OFFTOPIC, don’t read it all if you don’t have time, sorry (I put the important stuff in bold)…

Yep, that was my plan for the hotswapping, I have done many other stuff, but never BIOS, but at least seems to work pretty fine for old BIOS types, don’t really know with UEFI type…

If it wasn’t for the thermal plastic shield I would have already tried it right away, but I would have to disassemble my whole PC again for like the 20th time and for a few days I already wasted enough thermal paste for many years, MX-5 and Kryonaut gone (I went for full 3770K die-to-cooler with intel locking mechanism removed and didn’t worked as amazing as I thought and went back and forth with this)…

Also my P67 has almost all the pins by a thin hair and one broken pin which I managed to solder with just a crap iron and the more I remove the CPU and mess with it the more scared I am to even think about soldering a motherboard CPU socket pin EVER again, specially with only a 11W JVC iron and not even a damn zoom lenses and to remove a pin from other motherboard I literally tried everything, my 45W desoldering iron, even burning the whole motherboard with jet flame and couldn’t desolder 1 single pin LOL, had to break a old 775 in half, just so I don’t have to buy a heat gun :yum:

I will try contacting a friend that fixed my old laptop for a damn nice price, like 20€ for a complete repair with many small SMD’s burned in the motherboard, maybe he could have bios programming tools and maybe even do it for free, however his phone was OFF today…

Also in the meantime I will give one last chance to Bios Flashback garbage with my oldest 256MB usb pen drive which is the only one I haven’t tested, however I don’t have a 2nd power supply and I’m way too lazy at the moment to remove my Corsair AX750 all over again :scream:

ps: But I’m still thinking on the god damn hotswap maybe to add another thing to my list of crazy stuff, It wouldn’t even be something high on my list :grinning: (but would still kill my heart as it’s the only PC I have since 2011 with a I7 2600K. The Z77 + 3770K I bought recently used at a good deal, however it disappointed me so badly to learn the hard way that this 3770 doesn’t OC a single crap above 4.5 it needs above 1.4V :frowning_face: and I’m thinking if intel CPU microcode is the problem here, it also works the same on my P67, 4.5ghz is the max :face_vomiting:).

The hotswap might work if you do know the chip orientation (if both chip are similiar brand then it should be able to, just make sure to check the schematic of each bios) since once os loaded bios is not needed. i just did this with my jank h61m hvgs, boot to os, take bios chip (its a zif package like yours), flash H71M DGS bios on the programmer, put back the bios chip in place, reboot, and walla, the board is now H71M DGS (both boards have similiar schemes). so yeah i think it could work on yours if you’re that lazy to flash that bios chip.

idk abt the limitation tho since the p67 use 4MB bios chip, and the z77 use 8MB bios chip. Maybe IntelFPT would detect the bios 8MB chip and you could flash it (after extracting the .cap using Uefi Tool) using intelfpt rather than AFUWIN. Just make sure make a backup of your bios (z77 bios chip) before doing so, since other info such as Mac address and stuff might be there.

But tbh, it’s waaaay more easier to take your Z77 bios chip and plug it directly to the programmer and backup your bios and flash it directly like this (this is my H61M HVGS bios chip, taken off while using the board, and flashes the H71M DGS bios and put it back):

1 Like

I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR REPLIES!!!
Editing…

Asus Sabertooth P67:

(winbond 25Q32BVAIG 1104)

Asus Sabertooth Z77:

(winbond 25Q64BVAIG 1219)

From what I searched it seems they are exactly the same except 1 is 32MB and the other 64MB…

After the hotswap, what should I do to fix a bad flash with the AFUWINx64 /MEUL or /ME or /MER parameters?

I was thinking to just try AFUWINGUIx64 program all blocks with a latest Z77 bios from Asus…

EDIT: I just tried AFIWINGUIx64, but the app always close before starting to flash and only reads 4MB. I also tried AFUWINx64 but it only reads and doesn’t write. Really need some instructions on what to do (kinda for dummy since I have 0 knowledge in bios modding\flashing) :face_with_spiral_eyes:.

Also for now P67 is fine if I don’t keep bending the pins until one breaks… :upside_down_face:

Try Intel FPT.

Information here

I’m kinda blind here, I have Intel FPT V.16.0.15.1683 I tried “fptw64.exe -I” on my P67 with it’s original bios just to test, but it just throws a error.

I think I have intel ME V9.5.10.1658 installed from Asus website for P67. HWINFO64 says I have ME 8.0 build 1410 Hot Fix 2 and report it’s normal and active and it’s FW is 1.5 MB…

P67 Bios reports EC V. MBECE-0018 and ME V8.0.2.1410.

Also can anyone check this programmer if it has everything I need to fix my Z77 bios:

I think I will sadly have to buy the programmer because I still don’t know how to flash the Z77 bios in my P67 board if it’s even possible that is…

FPT writing a 8Mb FW on an 4Mb SPI… FPT tool v16??? wtf… use your brain, no just stop using the brain, buy the damm programmer and dont waste your time and ours.
Now reversing the Z77 8Mb SPI and running the fpt tool…ask who told u this, in how to fool the tool about the system running in it… gonna be honest never tried in DOS, who knows…

Im not even gonna mention "that SMART ideia " and the suggestion origin, still i know from where it comes so ask him to do it with his mboard.

Can you check amazon link in my previous post and see if that one’s good. (I will buy it if it’s good for the task)

Also I just tried with a older version of the tools now for ME8 and the ME is now reporting data, will still try later with the Z77 bios chip to see if it reports 4 or 8MB.

Also this kind of stuff really need to be done on DOS? If so do you know if the latest version of FreeDOS from like RUFUS would work for it or are you really sure its impossible to flash the full 8MB from this board to a Z77 bios chip and it’s even pointless to try it?

ps: At least I have the first 4MB of Z77 bios saved even though it’s pointless :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes the linked product will work.
You have 4Mb of the Z77 bios… sorry my friend, i tired of brainless situations, good luck on your endeavor and all the best when you get it finally fixed by the programmer.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I already ordered and will update here when it arrives, though I don’t know how to use it as I never did BIOS MODS\PROGRAMMING.

However I’m still open to ideas as long as you give me clear instructions to try for the Bios chip hotswap until the programmer arrives or I break a leg of the bios chip :grinning:

ps: At least now we all know Sabertooth P67 bios chip hotswap with the Z77 bios chip at least doesn’t harm and maybe someone with knowledge perhaps could make it work, but I’m completely noob on this :partying_face:

the intel me tool you should use is ME System Tools V8 (LGA 1155 use either ME 7, 8, and 8.1), and it seems you know the command for the fpt.

-d to dump the whole bios
-f to write the chip

adding the filename.bin if you dont forget for either flashing the bios file or assign a name for the bios you dumped.

You could try it yourself if it’s even successful, Prolly extract the .cap bios using uefi tool, copy the .bin of the extracted bios to intelfpt folder (the x64 one iirc), and flash it using fptw64 -f biosbinyouextractedfromthe.cap.bin, and see if it’s working. be sure you do back up the bios of corrupted z77 chip using -d biosname.bin using fpt if it’s successful.

before doing so do the -i and see if your Z77 bios chip is detected. if so and correct, experiment is yours :smiley:

dont worry if it got a bad flash, as long as your p67 bios chip still intact, you could uset he ch341a programmer and use the ch341a programmer app v1.18 or 1.29, and use it like what i did (watch the correct direction to put your chip, its on the programmer pcb if you see my image before).

1 Like

Yep, I realized right after the error that I had wrong version…

This is what I got:

Intel FPT really seems to detect the whole 8MB BIOS, but says total accessable 4MB, does it mean this won’t work?

Also the dump is only 4MB just like AfuWin64 :frowning_face:

I also just tried with FreeDOS from RUFUS and it’s the exact same thing, only reads 4MB and only saves 4MB dump :face_with_spiral_eyes:

ps: It would be cool was if I could start up the Z77 with the P67 bios in it as long as it booted it sure would work to fix the Z77 Bios, but that’s something I’m not willing to risk :sweat:

seems detecting it right (Winbond 25Q64BV = 8MB bios chip), CH341A is the way to do then, hope everything went well :smiley:

1 Like

The programmer has arrived, Z77 fixed EVERYTHING ELSE BROKEN :sob:

P67 is dead, lot’s of broken pins which were all by a thin hair from the cooler pressure over more than a decade.

Also now my I7 3770K doesn’t work, either it burned from this crap cooler not making direct-die contact, or too much pressure in it (doubt since there’s no cracks in the silicon) or something in this bios simply is missing something to start it up.

I have extracted the body with UEFITOOLS of the 1st bios from Asus for the Z77 V081, started with it + 2600K and updated to latest 2104 using Asus EZ flasher from bios and them I updated Intel ME using Asus Firmware update…

Thought everything was awesome until I put the 3770K and only get CPU red light :slightly_frowning_face:

I have just made a backup of the bios 8MB using FPTWin64, can anyone please check if there’s something in it that would prevent I7 3770K from booting?
Z77dump1.rar (4.2 MB)

ps: Can’t make a backup with the programmer now because I have fully assembled the PC and put the god damn thermal shield back in place :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

No check needed, its the cpu or the socket, period.
Recover the P67 in the same method, if still any chance with the socket pins…and test the 3770k there, else ask a friend on a 1155 board.
Thats wot u get for “smart” moves… and 10€ delay purchase
Never saw a cpu cooler/pressure damage socket pins… user inexperience and careless…yes

EDIT: “Nop it has nothing to do with the programmer…”
I think your translator is not doing is job…
The rest…my friend is a mess and by your past moves…no wonder, all the best and over_n_out.

1 Like

Nop it has nothing to do with the programmer and I sadly had to use the P67 or I would have no PC even though I didn’t wanted to touch it anymore because of bad pins…

Also the pressure did damage the pins sadly because I never touched the pins but a lot were pretty bottomed up because I always had the cooler pretty tight and last year when I cleaned it up as soon as I lifted the CPU there was already 1 broken pin that I managed to solder and fixed the 2nd ram slots, now after removing it from the socket there’s many more it’s pointless to even try fixing unless reballing a whole new socket.

Anyway now I’m out of luck because I don’t know anyone around who can test a 3770K or even have such old PC’s, not even the local stores sadly…

Also I’m pretty screwed because my I7 2600K also has 1 burned core which happened like a month and something ago simply because it got tired of 4.9ghz for over a decade, but gratefully it still works by enabling 3 cores only which is why I bought the 3770K even though it was a downgrade since I couldn’t go over 4.5 without a lot of voltage and even 4.5 needed almost 1.4V :rage:

ps: I’m bloody stuck with I7 2600K 3 cores 6 threads at 4.8ghz now :frowning:

so the 3770K is dead now, but both motherboard survives?

1 Like

The P67 is too far gone now unless reballing the CPU socket, it had already a broken pin that I soldered like a year ago and worked all this time, but now another one was just broken under the cpu and many are completely bottomed out from my old 2011 cooler which was always tight and that thing even came with a wrench tool :grinning:

Will probably frame it someday since I love the design :sunglasses:

The Z77 at least is fully working but the 3770K is gone :frowning_face:

ps: If anyone know a place to buy cheap used 3770K from Europe please PM me.

Since you started with a stock bios things should be OK. Not wise to start with the oldest, there’s no advantage in that, only disadvantages (as written before normal bios updaters are a little unpredictable which areas to update and which to spare):
Stock 2104 has ME 8.1.2.1318, your dump has 8.1.0.1248
Stock 2104 has in padding a SNB/IVB VBios 2132, your dump has 2124 (but unclear if this is evver used?)

1 Like