Bypass graphic card check (halt on POST)?

I have a MSI MS-7707 (P67) with Ami Aptio4 that doesn’t pass POST when graphic card is not present (Beeps 1x long, 2x short) and i’m trying to find a way to bypass this check (to continue booting without graphic card). I already enabled hidden menus with AMIBCP but nothing useful there. One hidden menu supports ‘primary video adapter’ selection (PEG/PCI/IGD) but its not doing anything. There is no option like “Halt On Error” or similar. Maybe its possible to fake-enable the IGD somehow (different vbios)? I don’t need any real video output though, there is no output port anyway.
There are many DXEs in the BIOS. Is it possible to swap them with other versions? Maybe other drivers behave differently. Regarding some websites this blocking behavior should be quite uncommon so maybe i can extract some modules/drivers from other boards.

Any ideas what could lead to success?

BIOS:
https://www.medion.com/de/servicebackend…ls.php?did=9744

Compatible tools:
MMTool v5.02
AMIBCP v4.55
UEFITool

@Maniaxx - Do you have flash programmer? Asking because I wondered if you’ve already tested the MSI BIOS instead of Medion, if there is a similar/same MSI branded model too

This BIOS has Sandy Bridge Legacy orom vBIOS, so it’s ready for a SB CPU with IGD anyway.

What is this Medion model name, so I can save this BIOS in a proper folder on my end? Please explain more, what actual graphics are you using, and which do you need to bypass (I assume bypass any/all PCI/PCIE?)

So, none of the 5 optional choices at North Bridge >> Initate Graphic Adapter - changed anything?
What about North Bridge >> PCI Express Port << Disable
And North Bridge >> Render Standby << Disabled?
You can disable all PCIE ports at >> South Brige >> PCI Express Ports Configuration & At >> Advanced >> Advanced Chipset Setup >> PCI Express Ports Configuration

You may need to install "something" in the PCIE slots, just so the slot is in use and it thinks there is graphics, if you have a spare network card even x1 sized, or some other SATA controller something like that you can test this.
This is a desktop standard thing, you need to have some kind of graphics in use or enabled etc, so it thinks it’s working, otherwise you need a board designed for headless operations.

See this thread, near end

https://superuser.com/questions/1207270/…of-graphic-card
See also - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=284273.0

No, but (in case) i would get one to revive the board. Not sure if RasPi can be used for it though.
But it should be safe as long as the bios boot sector isn’t touched (>recovery). I’m not sure though if the new MSI BIOS would need the new bootsector as well (or if it can be flashed at all). I’m flashing with ‘afudos.exe mybios.rom’. It only flashes the main block if not explicitly told to do so.

Yes, but it would need to be kicked/forced somehow. The P67 isn’t capable of handling the IGD (only H6x/Q6x/Z6x chipsets).

Medion Akoya P4385D (MSN 10014555)

Nvidia 9800GT PCIe
I want to bypass all (headless). The system is prepared for ethernet/ssh remote access.

Disable = Systems beeps the same with inserted graphic adapter.

No change.

This leads to all boot devices being vanished so i cannot boot. The graphic card still works though.

I have a PCIe->PCI adapter with ethernet card. I’m not sure if its working though. It didn’t show up in the logs when i booted the system. Maybe its missing drivers only. But i don’t think the board can be fooled by this.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you never swapped any DXE drivers yet? I’ve seen there is a MacOS/Ozmosis community that deals with several custom DXEs but i’m not sure if this could lead to something.

I will try to find an alternative MSI BIOS first.

Edit:
I’ve found some versions for Intel6 (H64/P67). They mostly are 4/8MB but hold additional ME files (2MB), different INT mappings and probably other stuff so no directly compatible candidates. I will start with swapping CORE_DXE from MS-7732 (E7732IMS.170). They look quite identical.

Edit2:
The new core_dxe (20111018->20120222) works. Bootscreen now has 2-digit bios code in the corner, beep codes are different (lower frequency and only one error sequence on halt). But still no headless booting.

Before i continue i need to make sure i can get into recovery. I have no clue how to do so. I’ve tried <ctrl+home> but it doesn’t work. There are two unknown jumpers (one might be ‘recovery’) but they don’t change anything. Any idea how this works on this BIOS? The recovery PEI looks like a serial recovery only (and El-Torito/CD) whereas the 7732 only has El-Torito strings. Maybe USB stick recovery wasn’t supported back then. Will try to fake El-Torito on USB Stick tomorrow.

Yes, raspberry Pi can be used in place of a programmer, but you’d need a proper SOIC8 test clip to clam to the BIOS. The JSP1 header is only for booting off a connected BIOS chip, not re-programming the onboard BIOS.
The reason I asked about recovery/programmer etc was if we needed to cross-flash and if you hadn’t done that already, AFUDOS would be no help with that if BIOS needed modified and ID tags changed etc.

Sorry, I have no experience with this other than what I mentioned above, and it looks like you are moving along with more info and knowledge about this than I have.

As for recovery, I only know hardware recovery (CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable), or in MSI Case JSPI1 header is similar to serial for reprogramming, but it’s meant to be used as a hardware connected BIOS on cable or PCB.
I have a special PCB for this where you solder in BIOS you want to use, it boots to whatever BIOS is connected to the header instead of what’s on the board, then to recover you either flash from BIOS or DOS, but before you flash you disconnect the header cable/BIOS.