Can I do trim?

Greetings,

I have an EVGA X58 motherboard with 2 SSD drives in a RAID 0 configuration. I’m running the Intel Matrix Storage Driver v8.9.0.1023 and using the trimcheck tool I’ve verified that trim isn’t working. (No surprise there.) So what do I need to do to get TRIM working ?

I’ve read a lot on the subject and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information ranging from “It’s not supported on X58” to “Mod the BIOS and new drivers and it’ll work.” What scares me is the modding the BIOS part because you can brick your motherboard.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

best regards,
The Dude

Zitat von Gast im Beitrag #1
I've read a lot on the subject and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information ranging from "It's not supported on X58" to "Mod the BIOS and new drivers and it'll work."
Both informations are correct.
Natively the X58 Chipset mainboard BIOSes do not support the "TRIM in RAID0" feature, but it is possible to get it by inserting a modified Intel RAID ROM module and installing an appropriate Intel RST RAID driver.

Install the latest RST software/drivers - you need the modded ones to be able to install them on your platform:
Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers

I do not recommend to install the latest Intel RST software/drivers for The Dude with his Intel X58 chipset system. Much better would be the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006.

Thanks for the info! I’m now starting to understand a little bit more.

Ok. So, the 11.2.0.1006 driver is needed. Got it.

The driver is a given but do need a modified BIOS as well? If so is it specific to the EVGA X58 motherboard or is it generic to the ICH10R chipset? Where do I get the modified BIOS? I read through that entire thread and couldn’t find it anywhere. (Maybe I missed it)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m running Windows 7 64 bit. I assume from the reading that isn’t a problem.

Best regards,
The Dude.

Zitat von Gast im Beitrag #5
The driver is a given but do need a modified BIOS as well?
Yes, the driver is not enough. Additionally you will need a (modded) Intel RAID ROM version with TRIM in RAID0 support.

The Intel RST RAID ROM modules are usable with all Intel RAID systems from ICH8R up. You can find various Intel RAID ROM versions (original and modded) >here<.

Probably nowhere. You will have to modify the BIOS your own. You can find my BIOS modding guides >here<. >This< is the first guide you should read, before you start with the modding procedure.
Tip:
Many X58 mainboards BIOSes have only very limited space for bigger sized Intel RAID ROM modules. You will have the best chances to succeed with the BIOS modding, if you insert the TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008, because all later ones are much bigger sized.
Off topic:
What about your nick name? Is it "TheDude"? It’s certainly not "The Dude". Haven’t you been successfully registered?