Can I unlock CPU voltage control and BCLK in MSI H81m-E33 by bios modding?

I want to unlock CPU voltage control and BCLK in my MSI H81M-E33 Mobo and want to OC my i5 4460. Is it possible to do it by BIOS modding ?
Any help will be appreciated :smiling_face:

@DrChocoFlex Hi and welcome to Win-Raid forums.

The MSI H81M-E33 is only good for overclocking the Pentium G3258, where you gain access to the CPU multiplier which is unlocked for that CPU.

The i5 4460 has a base (all core) frequency of 3.2 GHz so even with a base clock overclock you wouldn’t gain much, maybe 100 MHz - 200 MHz if you’re lucky.

If you did reach 3.4 GHz all core I don’t think you’d notice much difference in performance (this CPU does not have Hyperthreading either).

1 Like

I used turbo clock i.e. 3.4 ghz and it increased my performance on CPU intensive tasks so is there anyway where I can mod this Mobo bios and unlock more overclocking
Thanks for replying :slightly_smiling_face:

Is it not possible to mod this motherboard BIOS ???
If there is any little chance I am ready to try

@DrChocoFlex The BIOS is AMI Aptio IV so it may be possible to use AMIBCP to unlock some options (such as baseclock overclocking) but I do not own that motherboard to do any tests.

There are considerable risks of bricking the board when attempting to flash a modified BIOS so you will need to make a complete backup of the BIOS chip before you begin.

MSI motherboards can have protection against flashing certain regions of the BIOS EEPROM when using M-flash, so a hardware programmer is recommended so that you can recover from a failed flash or failed attempt to modify the BIOS.

You may be able to use Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT) to flash a modified BIOS via software but if you brick the board you’d still need a hardware programmer to recover the BIOS from a backup.

I will tag @Sweet_Kitten as they have more knowledge/experience than me and may be able to suggest which menu items to try changing from ‘Default’ to ‘User’.

There are two versions of that motherboard that do not use the same BIOS version:

MSI H81M-E33

MSI H81M-E33 V2

You will need to clarify which one is yours.

1 Like

My Mobo is this
MSI H81M-E33 (not V2)
Thank you for reaching out
If it failed, will it damage the dedicated GPU ?
What’s the next step I should do now ?
Thanks once again :slightly_smiling_face:

@DrChocoFlex

My Mobo is this
MSI H81M-E33 (not V2)
Thank you for reaching out

Thanks for the info and you’re welcome.

If it failed, will it damage the dedicated GPU ?

The bigger risk is that the motherboard fails to boot. The iGPU is unlikely to be damaged from a BIOS mod or baseclock overclock.

What’s the next step I should do now ?

We should wait to see if Sweet_Kitten responds, I can modify the BIOS using AMIBCP but it would take a lot of trial and error (flashing a modified BIOS for repeated testing) to find out which menu items should be unlocked and tested.

Do you have a hardware programmer?

This process is not without risk - if you cannot recover the motherboard from a failed boot attempt then you should not attempt to flash a modified BIOS.

Thanks once again :slightly_smiling_face:

No problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I don’t have a hardware programmer and
I am ready to risk my Mobo
Just waiting for the response from @Sweet_Kitten :heart:

H81 doesn’t allow BCLK, but anyways here’s a mod: MSI H81M-E33.

3 Likes

thank you very much for your time really appreciated
but I still can’t go over my turbo freq so is there any other way I can do to increase some performance on my cpu
again thnks :pray: